Old 05-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Phlogiston deficiency in Suburban NT 30M

Although the furnace in the old Silver Pullit (1978)works just fine it had developed a sqeak in the fan so I decided to pull and take care of that and take advantage of the situation to clean the combustion chamber and the burner. I had noticed that, while there was beaucoup de caloric at the vent next to the heater, there wasn't much coming out the other ducts. I removed the furnace and lo & behold, there is no back on the furnace housing!? Since the squirrel cage blower pressurizes the case to feed the hot air plenum, I assume that this is the cause of the lack of hot air (not usually a problem for me) in the rear of the coach.
The motor bearings were a straight forward fix: I polished the shaft and re-oiled the bearing retainer felts and all is good now. I was pleasantly suprised to find the gaskets readily available and the unit generally easy to service.
On the other hand, I was unimpressed with the care taken to fit the unit at AS. The holes in the outside wall look like thay were made with a bayonet or a roto-rooter. You'd think with the number units they make/made they would invest in a punch. Same story with the floor: 4" hole for a 2" fresh air intake pipe-literally a slop factor. As usual, I find myself finishing a a trailer that was begun 30 yrs. ago.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

I agree with your observations.

RichardT

Old 05-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
All that extra clearance no doubt expalins how the phlogiston managed to leak out!! ... if you'd only performed an extoplasmic reticulation on the poor furnace, all probably would have been o.k.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
lack of hot air (not usually a problem for me) in the rear
Care to elaborate??
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Care to elaborate??
Please DON'T!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Phlogiston replacement

Dang, phlogiston has been hard to come by for a couple thousand years now. I would suggest replacing with unobtanium. You might get by with zeppelinium if Zep will part with any of his inventory. . .

Cheers,

Nuvi
Old 05-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Best of Luck, but

Im afraid you need a new ZPM.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
Ham KI4HJX

1982 27' Excella
1970 23' Safari
Franklin , 28734
One of the Mars rovers has just found a large deposit of phlogiston in Victoria crater. It will be on sale as soon as Airstream opens it's first dealership on the RED PLANET.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Hey! I was quoted out of context! Unfair (if true) Also, it wont do any good to talk to Zep-he's already told me I can't fill a tank with vacuum because when it's empty, it's full.. I talked to the MS and they said the furnace came with a rear cover so I made one and I expect a much enhanced phlo of giston. Caloric was the factory replacement for phlogiston, but even it is getting hard to find these days. Hot air is now the generally accepted replacement, but it has, how shall I put it, so little substance.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Old 05-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
Hey! I was quoted out of context! Unfair (if true) Also, it wont do any good to talk to Zep-he's already told me I can't fill a tank with vacuum because when it's empty, it's full.. I talked to the MS and they said the furnace came with a rear cover so I made one and I expect a much enhanced phlo of giston. Caloric was the factory replacement for phlogiston, but even it is getting hard to find these days. Hot air is now the generally accepted replacement, but it has, how shall I put it, so little substance.
We all know the stories, Go get some flight line. Get me a skyhook. Bring me a bucket of vacuum. I saw a thread on a military forum about these kinds of topics (great stories, we who have never had the privilege to serve can only read and appreciate).

A college student who was working in a plant was assigned to bring a bucket of vacuum. He heated a steel bucket with a lid on a steam vent, snapped the lid on, and returned it stating, I think its all the vacuum it will withstand. They sent him back to do it again, and never figured out how he did it.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Might have been that same kid I met at the post xchange

Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
All seriousness aside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
I removed the furnace and lo & behold, there is no back on the furnace housing!? Since the squirrel cage blower pressurizes the case to feed the hot air plenum
Sorry to switch gears back to the original query, but I don't believe the back half of an NT 30 is pressurized. If I remember right the back half is louvered for colc air return and only the front section has positive pressure.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Yes, and no, I think. Air is forced around the firebox by the blower and then out the distribution plenum in the front of the box. The pressure there can easily leak back around the fiebox and exit the rear of the case if unimpeded by the rear cover. I found a picture of the cover and it shows two holes for the burner supply but no louvers. there are vents in the side of the case by the blower intake. On the other hand I notice that the fiebox is baffled so in essence the the rear cover is probably to keep rodents and trash from getting in.