Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Penguin Installation - Do I need to add supports?

Hi all,

I'm replacing the original AC on my '78 Sovereign with a Dometic Penguin II Low Profile unit. There is an aluminum rib on each side of the hole, but the rear rib is about 10 inches behind the hole. Because of this, there's about 10 inches of unsupported aluminum shell/interior aluminum. Is this something that needs to be addressed? I've seen others add a wood support, but it seems that if the original AC was supported fine, this one should be too.

Additionally, can I use the stock drain pan, even though it's not curved? I'm running the Airstream Drain Kit, BTW.
66replica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Below is a copy of Post #86 from my '78 31' Sovereign
thread in my signature line.

Condensate line & 110 wiring for the rear AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock
... How'd ya deal with the condensation water?

The roof reinforcement, condensation line, and 110 wiring required some creativity. I used a combination of true 2" X 4" (rough cut) Western Cedar lumber and longitudinal 2" X 2" aluminum angle to stiffen up the ceiling for both of the AC's. I purchased the "two single cups" type of water catcher manufactured by Dometic - what a ripoff. The Dometic "Kit" consisted of two formed plastic cups designed to be installed on the interior frame of the Dometic with some 1/2" plastic tubing connecting the two cups - for a bargain price of $65!!! Let's see - $6.50 worth of plastic selling for $65 - that's what - 1,000% profit???

Add that to the unique Dometic "reversed phone line polarity" thermostat complication - and I am less than happy with the Dometic corporation.

I bucked up for two full drip installation pans available via Airstream - a bit pricey but a MUCH better condensate solution than the Dometic "drip kit".

Anyone contemplating a Dometic Penguin installation from scratch should have some looonngg conversations from someone who has already done a greenfield installation.

On the matter of the drip line - I crossed over from the Driver Side to the Curb Side with the drip line, came underneath of the rib just to the rear of the bath/bedroom bulkhead (there is an "indent" in this rib for the 12 volt wiring bundle to pass between the rib and the interior panels - used this "indent" for the 110 volt wire and thermostat wire to the AC also).

There was a double center ceiling panel in the '78 from a previous modification/repair. Fortunately (for me) there exists a large cut out in the area of the black tank vent in the area between the bathroom bulk head void, this cut out allowed for the passage of the 110 wire, the thermostat wire, and the condensate drip line into the wall void in the area of the medicine cabinet/black tank vent.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote