Old 06-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
West Columbia , South Carolina
Parts list for Armstrong AC on a 68 model

My Armstrong AC quit suddenly on my last outing. It had been cooling very well, but suddenly went quiet. Now, neither the blower or compressor make any sound at all.

Because I have my camper stored at a remote site, I'm hoping to gather as much info (and maybe some parts) as I can before my next visit. Does anyone have a list of the part numbers or specs on the contactor and motor capacitor(s)?

In case anyone can't help trying to diagnose it, here is some additional info: The breaker is OK and there is 120VAC at the on/off/speed switch on the side of the unit. The blower likely needs a new cap, since it won't usually start up without a spin.

Any info is much appreciated.

Jon

Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
I may have it for my '73 in the service manual, but it'll be a couple of hours before I can get to it.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzjo1 View Post
My Armstrong AC quit suddenly on my last outing. It had been cooling very well, but suddenly went quiet. Now, neither the blower or compressor make any sound at all.

Because I have my camper stored at a remote site, I'm hoping to gather as much info (and maybe some parts) as I can before my next visit. Does anyone have a list of the part numbers or specs on the contactor and motor capacitor(s)?

In case anyone can't help trying to diagnose it, here is some additional info: The breaker is OK and there is 120VAC at the on/off/speed switch on the side of the unit. The blower likely needs a new cap, since it won't usually start up without a spin.

Any info is much appreciated.

Jon
Parts are usually available for your AC from W. W. Grainger.

Typical failures are the relays and the 24 volt transformer. Rarely, do you need a capacitor.

Andy
Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The Armstrong on our 67 died last year. I've gathered up some of the parts for an R&R job, but will probably need some more. A very useful site for me was the following:

Bay Breeze Air Conditioner

Lynn
Old 06-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Andy, Thanks for the info on ww grainger. I did save my Armstrong when I removed it.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Andy, thanks for the tip on the transformer--I hadn't thought about that.

Lynn, thanks for the link. I love the photo of the motor!

Jon
Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #7
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzjo1 View Post
Andy, thanks for the tip on the transformer--I hadn't thought about that.

Lynn, thanks for the link. I love the photo of the motor!

Jon
Yes, the motor shown on that website is very close to what the motor in ours looks like: A giant block of solid rust.

Lynn
Old 06-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Smile Repair Update

I visited the camper this weekend. Upon opening the electrical compartment on the topside, I found what looks to be the original schematic! I got a nice photo if anyone would like to see what it looks like; just post a note to my profile.

In case anyone finds this thread in a later search, the failure was caused by a loose wire at a connector. The wire overheated at that point and burned through. This is why both the compressor and blower quit suddenly. I have tested the unit with a wire-nut work-around and it works fine.

I would like to say that I was impressed with the quality of wire and components used in the old AC. New stuff isn't so good.

One final thought for posterity...although some have commented about the noise, my unit is not very loud. It's not as quiet as central AC, but it's hard to think anything with the fan right there would be much quieter. Perhaps some of the louder units have imbalances in the blower fan or worn bearings? Something to consider before replacing an old Armstrong unit.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I am soooooo glad to see Streamers keeping the old Armstorng units. They are the bomb!!

My neighbor, who works for one of the bigger HVAC contractors in the area, told me that he can get any part for them.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote