Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Options for furnace replacement

As many of you know, I am currently having a new frame and subfloor installed in my 68 safari. When I was at the shop, I noticed that there was a large crack in my furnace that looked to be several years old.

I would like your opinions on something to replace the furnace. I do not anticipate a great deal of winter camping, but something for the chill in the early spring or mid fall would be nice.

What are my options? Electric baseboard heaters, wood burning like carlos ferguson, catalytic? Ease of use and installation would be a plus....perhaps I could just get a few ceramic heaters from walmart and use them instead!

Thanks....and good to be back on the forums.

Steve
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have used catalytic heaters as primary heat for several years. I don't camp in a location/time of year where I have to worry about water system freeze.

I'm currently looking for something for my '72 GT. It's smaller than my 25' Safari was and am looking at the Mr. Heater series. I would return to the catalytic idea, but I don't have a good safe surface to mount it on.

Catalytic would be my first choice in your scenario.

If anyone has experience with the Mr heater line I would appreciate your input. The "Big Buddy" seems that it may be the way to go for an extra$40 -$50 and double the heat of the smaller unit.

Dave

PS - I just ran across an older post of yours this AM, and was wondering how your project is going. ??
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
PS - I just ran across an older post of yours this AM, and was wondering how your project is going. ??
I fell while working on the tradewind and subsequently shredder the surgical repair that I had done in October. I will not be able to work on it so I am selling it. The local AS dealer offered me $2000 for it, but I am not that desperate yet.

Went to look at the coach in the shop and I am trying to figure how I am going to put humpty dumpty back together again.

Steve
Old 02-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt

If anyone has experience with the Mr heater line I would appreciate your input. The "Big Buddy" seems that it may be the way to go for an extra$40 -$50 and double the heat of the smaller unit.
Hi Dave,

I've been using the smaller Mr. Heater...

Name:   mr-buddy.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  11.1 KB

in my Coleman tent trailer...
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0001_1024.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	32066
for years. I usually heat the trailer with the furnace and then maintain the temperature with the Mr. Heater. I don't like the furnace because of fan noise, battery drain and constant on-off cycling.

During my last outing at Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite, the morning temperature was usually 23 degrees and we stay nice and toasty.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
For the first time Winter camping in my 26' Airstream, we brought along a 1500 watt space heater on our trip to the 2007 Texas Vintage Rally last week to take the load off of our propane supply. With temps close to freezing on the first night, I don't think the furnace cycled. The next night, with temps at or below freezing (shore water line froze), the heater cycled on a couple of times. I think two 1500 watt space heaters would have probably kept the furnace off.

If this idea appeals to you, make sure you have two, 120 volt breakers available to support the load.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
I fell while working on the tradewind and subsequently shredder the surgical repair that I had done in October. I will not be able to work on it so I am selling it. The local AS dealer offered me $2000 for it, but I am not that desperate yet.

Went to look at the coach in the shop and I am trying to figure how I am going to put humpty dumpty back together again.

Steve
Steve,
I'm sorry to hear about your fall. Those types of incidents affect us in so many unexpected ways. Good luck with the Safari. Keep posting...
Dave
Old 02-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by S C Streamer
Hi Dave,

I've been using the smaller Mr. Heater...
Attachment 32072

in my Coleman tent trailer...
Attachment 32066
for years. I usually heat the trailer with the furnace and then maintain the temperature with the Mr. Heater. I don't like the furnace because of fan noise, battery drain and constant on-off cycling.

During my last outing at Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite, the morning temperature was usually 23 degrees and we stay nice and toasty.
Mark, thanks for the reply. That's the kind of specific experience that I'm looking for.
Anybody else want to chime in on small portable propane heaters?
I don't want to hijack the thread - These answers will help with the original question perhaps.
Dave
Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Tom,

My electrical has been completely removed, so I will have to start from scratch. I am hoping to find an electrical diagram somewhere ...especially since my unit didnt have a converter or battery when I bought it. I assume the ac power comes in directly to an ac distribution panel for the Air conditioner, dc converter, and the 110 outlets. A question scince I am not too electrical saavy. If I have my 30 Amps coming in, will it just evenly distribute between the two breakers? Anyone know where a good diagram is?

I get worried about not having some kind of heater that runs off LPG. In a rare case that I may boon dock, or have to make an emergency pitstop it would be important to have heat.

Keep those thoughts coming.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Dangerous?

Are there issues with asphixiation and using these small portable units?
Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Not the ones shown in the post (#4) above. They are designed for interior use and have a low O2 shut-off in case there were a problem. They emit no CO. (Carbon Monoxide) Crack a window for ventilation.
Catalytics also need to have some ventilation due to O2 consumtion, but also produce no CO.
Dave
Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
the "mr. Heater" IS a catalytic heater. hence the identical attributes...

cool thing about it is that you could use it somewhere other than your trailer...like, in case of a power failure at the house, or whatever.

I think I read that you can also buy an accessory connection for it that will allow you to use the propane supply in your trailer, rather than the small bottles of propane...which may not last all night long on a cold night.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
the "mr. Heater" IS a catalytic heater. hence the identical attributes...

cool thing about it is that you could use it somewhere other than your trailer...like, in case of a power failure at the house, or whatever.

I think I read that you can also buy an accessory connection for it that will allow you to use the propane supply in your trailer, rather than the small bottles of propane...which may not last all night long on a cold night.
Yes, there is a connector for a larger bottle available, it's extra.

I wasn't sure how they define catalytic. My old one had the mat "burn surface", the Mr. Heater is ceramic.
Dave
Old 02-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
..My electrical has been completely removed, so I will have to start from scratch. I am hoping to find an electrical diagram somewhere ...especially since my unit didnt have a converter or battery when I bought it. Keep those thoughts coming.
This image from my '67 owner's manual probably covers your '68:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...4&d=1171063128

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
even if it isn't a fabric "mat", there must be a platinum catalyst in there somewhere; this is what makes the chemical reaction that allows combustion without CO.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Not the ones shown in the post (#4) above. They are designed for interior use and have a low O2 shut-off in case there were a problem. They emit no CO. (Carbon Monoxide) Crack a window for ventilation
My first one had problems operating at elevations above 7,500 ft. because of the " low O2 shut-off ". My second one has worked fine at elevations up to 9,000 ft..

As for proper ventilation, NO problemo with a tent trailer.

BTW, I usually get about 7 - 8 hrs. use, per each 1 lb. cylinder running on HIGH temp. setting.

1964 17' Bambi II
2005 Dodge 2500 PowerWagon -5.7 Hemi
WBCCI #4207
AIR #11485

"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" ~bob dylan
S C Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
even if it isn't a fabric "mat", there must be a platinum catalyst in there somewhere; this is what makes the chemical reaction that allows combustion without CO.
Thanks Chuck. I guess if I had thought it through.
I've replace the platinum covered ceramic beads in many a G.M. catalytic converter.

Quote:
My first one had problems operating at elevations above 7,500 ft. because of the " low O2 shut-off ". My second one has worked fine at elevations up to 9,000 ft..
They say that they are not for use above 7000'. I guess you got lucky! I suppose there is a fudge factor built in. Thanks for the info Mark.

Dave
Old 02-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #17
_

. , .
hi steve

are you planning to add a gray water tank? is the plumbing to be replaced?
i assume since the frame/floor are going in new all/most systems and applicances will be replaced like the water heater?

i'll also assume you are considering no central heating to save money.

while you may not anticipate cold camping it does happen. so does boondocking.

resale happens too.

one of the key features of airstreams has been the heat ducted to the pipes/tanks and so on.

it seems to me leaving out central heating isn't wise.

this system would be a challenge and expensive to retrofit later.

i've used catalytic heaters in a/s for 20 years. it is a nifty add on. but doesnt' replace the furnace.

you will be giving up a key feature by leaving out ducted heat. imagine buying a house with no indoor plumbing.

cat heaters DO have issues with moisture, O2 depeletion, space requirements, child safety and so on.

ceramic space heaters need juice and aren't designed for full duty heating...

replacement rv furnaces aren't expensive and last a long time. if you don't want an lpgas model diesel models are available

just another view...

cheers
2air'

there is also the option of marine style free standing fire place/furnace. these are retro cool and DO make lots of heat....

several threads with photos here...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi steve

are you planning to add a gray water tank? is the plumbing to be replaced?
i assume since the frame/floor are going in new all/most systems and applicances will be replaced like the water heater?

i'll also assume you are considering no central heating to save money.

while you may not anticipate cold camping it does happen. so does boondocking.

resale happens too.

one of the key features of airstreams has been the heat ducted to the pipes/tanks and so on.

it seems to me leaving out central heating isn't wise.

this system would be a challenge and expensive to retrofit later.

i've used catalytic heaters in a/s for 20 years. it is a nifty add on. but doesnt' replace the furnace.

you will be giving up a key feature by leaving out ducted heat. imagine buying a house with no indoor plumbing.

cat heaters DO have issues with moisture, O2 depeletion, space requirements, child safety and so on.

replacement rv furnaces aren't expensive and last a long time. if you don't want an lpgas model diesel models are available

just another view...

cheers
2air'

there is also the option of marine style free standing fire place/furnace. these are retro cool and DO make lots of heat....

several threads with photos here...
2Air,

The lp and plumbing has all been removed....pretty much everything is out of that trailer. As for the central heating. There are two vents coming out of the center of the floor in the front and in the rear. Neither of these really provide heat to the tank area, unless you consider the air that gets force under the cracks.

I really like the marine stoves, but I am curious how difficult it would be to install.

Steve
Old 02-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #19
_

. , .
hi soldiermedic

well that is why i asked about holding tanks and IF you are adding to this system

there are a couple of good threads on marine stoves...

no doubt you've seen these.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...am-20451.html?

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ud-18950.html?

i cannot recall the best one. a gal with a vintage trailer and stove...

but it's here somewhere....

then there is this site....sweet!

'55 Airstream 26' LOA.

cheers
2air'

ok i knew it was a gal's name...patti pearl's trailer with another sweet marine stove...

Vintage Airstream E-Mail List Photo Gallery :: Patti's Pearl 1954 Flying Cloud :: IMG_0105

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
The Other Way... Options...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi steve

just another view...

cheers 2air'
mr. 2; et al,

i love good options...

especially OP's...

in my case, i like my other heating options in the blond, blue variety.

most any brand will do.

not cheap to operate, often times short fused, but you have to weigh in on the benifits and well, you can see where this is headed.

but i knew y'all knew that...

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote