Old 02-21-2007, 03:13 PM   #57
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
well, ok, but that WAS part of another thread, originally, and it was split off into its own.
I asked a legitimate question....got a legitimate answer. and (what I thought was) an interesting conversation insued.

I looked at that pdf you linked. scary stuff...but those are really high btu heaters, for one. many times more powerful than the cat in my trailer...which I can only stand on its lowest setting. and my little trailer (for example) is at least 8 times the size of the 100ft3 test chamber. Still, those numbers on the last page...yikes. (I think this explains Mikell's problem). But this is not a catalytic heater. How can this be a fair comparison? Afterall, you said you used one yourself for 20 years, even if only as a "suppliment"...so I ask again, "how bad can that be???"

{and I still (seriously) want to know where I'm likely to stumble into a dangerous pile of CO2...other than an RV w/ an out-of-control cat heater running}

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #58
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
FWIW, the bulk of the electric space heaters being offered at Wal-Mart/big bix stores are rated at 1500 watts (12.5 amps). Most trailers have a 30 amp service. Two properly selected heaters can be run in one trailer IF the heaters are operated on separate circuits.

My '67 could safely operate two 1500 watt heaters.

Tom
that's why I emphasied "MY" trailer.
30 amps, 2 circuits...but one is dedicated for the a/c. the other runs everything else. But some people would just plug 'em in, and crank 'em up...
yes, thats why we have circuit breakers.
I nearly set my trailer on fire a few years ago, due to old corroded wires, by simply running the a/c. yes, the circuit breakers tripped, and saved the day, but not before the wires got hot enough to get literally toasted. flames were surely not far behind...
lots of things could happen. what's the likelyhood of them actually happening?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
that's why I emphasied "MY" trailer. ...
And that's why I emphasized "MY" Airstream too!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #60
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Folks, this thread started out asking for opinions about what heater to use in a trailer, not so much if you would die if you used a particular brand. I know everybody is chomping at the bit to get out and camp, but let's try not to let our tempers and cabin fever get in the way of the topic at hand, which is, what kind of heater would be suitable for occasional use.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Threadjacked!!!!

Nice point Janet......at least you will all be camping this year while I sit at home pondering what the heck to do once I get my trailer back from receiving its new frame with no internals. I could take a page out of Tom's book and use it as a big tent until the verdict is in on the interior.

Steve