Old 09-07-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
One A/C duct not working

Hi all,

Out on our maiden voyage in our 2018 25" FC/fb. We have twin A/Cs and are hooked up to 50 amp power. Oddly, one of the two bedroom ceiling ducts (passenger side) is producing no air flow. Removed the vent unit to confirm; no air movement at all. Its 104 here in Kingman so any replies or helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Zardoz.
As I recall, early on in the production of ducted air units, some owners complained that a portion of the insulation board from which the duct channels are made had collapsed and blocked all airflow to certain ducts. Perhaps that is what has happened here. If you remove the cover of the blocked vent, you can use your phone camera and light to look at least part of the way down the duct work. Maybe you will be able to see one of the duct panels obstructing airflow. Good luck with this. Joe

jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Hi Zardoz.
As I recall, early on in the production of ducted air units, some owners complained that a portion of the insulation board from which the duct channels are made had collapsed and blocked all airflow to certain ducts. Perhaps that is what has happened here. If you remove the cover of the blocked vent, you can use your phone camera and light to look at least part of the way down the duct work. Maybe you will be able to see one of the duct panels obstructing airflow. Good luck with this. Joe
Joe, great idea!
You can also buy a camera on a USB snake to go farther. They're not expensive any more.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
hendersonville , North Carolina
Ductwork delamination

On our 2017 Int. Serenity 23D The foil liner in the ductwork delaminated on the curb side rear duct. A stop at Jackson Center in June 2018 got it fixed. They tech was able to secure the foil liner back onto the wall off the duct without removing the interior ceiling panel. Thank goodness because that would have been a major tear apart. So far. so good. He also installed the updated duct vents so no more vent covers falling off ceiling. Nice little fix and after I saw how they did it, I kick myself for not figuring out the simple fix.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
He also installed the updated duct vents so no more vent covers falling off ceiling. Nice little fix and after I saw how they did it, I kick myself for not figuring out the simple fix.
I have one vent that was always laying on the bed. My dealer did some trick, and I haven't gone far enough to see if it cured the problem.
What was the JC trick?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post
Hi Zardoz.
Thanks, Joe. Soon as we get back to the trailer, I'll shove my phone up there and take a peak. I did have the smarts to take the louvered vent out of the duct that was working to improve the airflow. Appreciate your idea.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:31 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2002 30' Classic
1995 30' Excella
Ellensburg , Washington
Updated Duct vent covers????? Do they sell replacements that are better?
dcineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Updated Ducted air vents

As a result of the vents falling out a new way to attach them to the ceiling was invented. Take your existing vent cover, drill a 1/4" hole at the end of the slide slot thru the aluminum cover. Put the vent back into duct hole, now you can drill a small hole thru the plastic backing plate into the skin and screw in small screw. Rotate vent cover 1/4 turn and repeat. 4 small screws evenly spaced! it will never fall out again and they are nicely secured to the ceiling and you can still rotate the aluminum cover to direct airflow. The tech at Airstream fixed all of mine when he repair delamination of foil duct liner. Great guy, very good work. Going to the mothership is the way to go for service.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
While you are checking for a blocked duct, also remove the return air vent covers (rectangular) and look inside for blockage there. My 27 had wiring, electrical box and insulation all in the way of the airflow. Just needed to tidy it up a bit for better circulation.

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Oro Valley , Arizona
One A/C duct not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
As a result of the vents falling out a new way to attach them to the ceiling was invented.
uraljohn, do you happen to have a picture of this fix?

Also, I called Airstream and spoke to Sarah in parts, she was very helpful. The older vent style has been discontinued but they sound exactly like what I had in mind! Basically the same as the return air vents but round.

They were used for only a short time starting from January 2015, made by “Signature 4” with a part number of 382233-01. They had no stock.

The search continues.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:49 AM   #11
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Hi all,

Out on our maiden voyage in our 2018 25" FC/fb. We have twin A/Cs and are hooked up to 50 amp power. Oddly, one of the two bedroom ceiling ducts (passenger side) is producing no air flow. Removed the vent unit to confirm; no air movement at all. Its 104 here in Kingman so any replies or helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Hi Zardoz,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 09-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Modified vent cover

Do not have pic. Call Airstream and ask them if you send them your Duct vent covers, would they send you back the modified ones. The Technicians name was Russ that fixed mine. At the time I was there, May 2018, they were taking vent covers that had been returned and had a guy drilling the one hole in them so they could go back into units that people were bringing into service for falling duct covers. It is a very simple fix that works great. The customer relations person is a guy named Jeremy. Very nice guy. Tell him what your after and that Russ in service has modified and installed these vent covers for other units. If you install these yourself should take maybe 5 minutes per cover. Easy peasy.