Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
On the Road Need New AC

I am in FL visiting the folks and the fan motor in the 30 yrs old coleman has died. The bearings are shot. It has been lubed once and they are beyond fixing. It looks like a fan motor is not going to be easy to find and I am tired of messing with this thing.

I called a local RV dealer and he said he can get an Advent quick but I don't know anything about them. Does anyone have any feedback on these units? He has a used Dometic he is going to check out. I would like to replace the unit before we leave.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Don't know what your budget is, but I would go with a Penguin with heat pump.

I have seen Advents, but have no experience with them. All of mine have been dometic.....only 2 I guess. Last one was 17 years old and worked flawlessly. This one is 5 years old and fine.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Don't know where you are in FL but PM Lewster, he's a mobile mechanic and knows AC's. He is usually lurking about the southern climes this time of year (Marco Island?). He knows Airstreams well.
This is the strangest life I've ever known - J. Morrison

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB with ProPride
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost V6 Turbo Gasser
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
J D Sanders RV AIRSTREAM in Alachua just north of Gainesville usually has ac units in stock, if you need to buy one.jim
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well looks like I am going to wait till I get home to deal with this. Everyone is shutting down for the Thanksgiving weekend. We may just drive all the way through to Huntsville, AL saturday and not camp at the halfway point. It seems there are special Airstream things like a drain tube and the curved roof that need to be considered. I don't want to rush into something and then have something that won't work or has to be rigged to work at all. I am beggining to regret buying this turkey.

So what do I need to get so everything will fit like it is supposed to? Which manufactures have the Airstream fit package and what models do I ask for?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
You will need a fresh pan and the drain hose aired out. As far as I know from my people, the Dometic is the only roof air that will fit, as the Colemans that fit our curved roof coaches are no longer made. The Heat strip is not that expensive, but not that hot. I do like the low profile of the Dometic, but the Coleman seemed to cool better. If you're not using the ac that much, a re-build might work, we don't believe in it, having been burned too many times. My files (in 05) show a #961270 AS Pan For Roof Air, A #600315.321C Penguin 13.5 btu air, a #3105457.000 air distribution box and a #3101121.030 heat kit. Parts alone were $1,000.00.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Always learning
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Sorry about the troubles Perry. That can really ruin a trip for sure.
I read an article in the August Blue Beret magazine "Schu's News" that stated new Airstreams are being shipped with a Dometic A/C that is manufactured with the drip pan integrated. Here is a link to the Blue Beret issue. It may be possible to get the new A/C from Dometic with the integrated drip pan. I'd give JC a call and ask what the proper part numbers are. Shop around for parts. There are places to order from that can save you lots of money. Good luck.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well I just wish I had not wasted a day messing with that motor. I think the capcitor is bad as well as the bearings. There are just too many things wrong with this unit to mess with it. It has had rats living in it, the shroud was bad and the fan motor got water and mud dobber nests in it. The interior shroud is shot. The parts to fix it are not worth the end result. I do have a new outside shroud I need to part when when I get the new unit. Just the fan motor and start cap are probably going to be $200. So you add the shroud to that then you have about $350. I can get a new unit for $700-$800 I am hopeing. I did gain more confindence with getting on the roof with the help of a board for load distribution. I think I will leave the new unit in the box and slide it up there in the box. This will protect the roof from gouges.

I think we will not camp saturday night and not have to deal with sucking up camp fire smoke at the camp ground. It is a long drive (700mi) but I think we will leave early and get home. The nights are not too bad hear right now, but there are no camp fires all over the place to deal with.

Thanks for all the support folks. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Campfires? You mean the burn ban isn't universal all across the South this year? it may be another decade before its wet enough in Texas to allow campfires again... or at least it seems that way.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can still have camp fires in state parks as long as they are in a fire ring which is approved by the camp ground.