1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Zep,

Great trip report. A testament to your driving abilities. Makes me wonder, can you stud a trailer tire?
They call them "traction tires" in Oregon. I don't know if you can get them in truck tires, but it seems like (watching pickups go by me a high rates of speed) they must be available (or is everyone else nuts?).

I really felt like I needed chains on my front tires and maybe "drag chains" on the trailer, at times. The semis are required to have drag chains on their trailers and I have to admit there were times I thought it would be a good idea for me, too.

By the way, I met up with GORANSONS at a stop on I-84 and handed over a couple of vents. I think it was about 8 degrees when we took the photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8765 goransons-s.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	73066 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8764 ice mounds-s.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	73067

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I can't wait to here the "rest of the stories"

Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #31
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Zep,

What a trip - you guys win my prize for iron man traveling. How did your water pipes and holding tanks fare? Was the heat in the living area sufficient to keep the low stuff from freezing?

Pat
Old 12-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Zep,

What a trip - you guys win my prize for iron man traveling. How did your water pipes and holding tanks fare? Was the heat in the living area sufficient to keep the low stuff from freezing?

Pat
I don't use the water system if the temps are going to be below 25 degrees for more than a few hours. I put 4-5 one gallon water bottles in the shower pan and manually pour water from them to wash dishes, etc. You can get along on about a gallon and half a day that way and hit the showers at the RV camps.

Quote:
I can't wait to here the "rest of the stories"
Just like driving an air hockey puck with 6,500# in tow that wants to go in another direction... no, actually the Sovereign was very well behaved. I never visually detected it sliding sideways, but the steering effort seemed to indicate that it was doing it a little. It's unnerving to be in the slow lane in a left turning part of the highway and the highway is inclined to the left--you feel yourself being dragged left, even if it's just imagination.

I think everyone should take note of one thing in particular. If you have chains on your rear wheels, you're really driving a vehicle chain that has reasonable traction at only one point--the middle. So the drive wheels are trying to push and the front wheels are thinking they can go sideways. Separately from that, the trailer is pulling the tail around in whatever direction the ice ruts and gravity dictate. I also think that one set of chains in this circumstance are more dangerous than no chains. I went into 4x4 mode a lot, which may or may not have helped the steering.

Going up Vail Pass was terrible. The fast lane had two wheel tracks with no ice, so vehicles in that lane were zipping up the hill. The slow lane had negligible ice, but once you put the chains on, you're limited to 30 mph and if you're luck is all bad, the torque-incline-weight-speed combination puts you right at a transmission shift point, so you're on a bucking bronco until you decide to put it in 2nd gear and take the whole damn hill that way. I really don't know if 4x4 without chains would have been better. I've done Eisenhower and Vail 6-7 times before in the snow w/o chains with the Caravel and Overlander and never had a problem. But this time chains were "required," per the flashing lights.

One cool thing (is this a pun?) is that some of the Utah weigh stations leave their scales on when the staion is closed, and the weight is shown outside on a large digital display. From front to back I was 3,900, 4,600, 5,500 lbs. Thank you Price, UT, weigh station!

Zep
Old 07-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Rear propane connection

The aluminum tube from the propane "in" fitting is very soft and maleable. You can bend it easily with your fingers. As long as you keep a good radius and bend it only once or twice, you can put the "in" fitting at the bottom, as I did, or at the back.

Name:	IMG_8675 heater modified 2-s.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	106337

You'd want to put the fitting at the back if you needed to put the hinge on the left side, rather than the right side as I did. To put the fitting at the back (instead of the side), I'd run the feed line in front of the flame line. This will provide enough room in front of the fitting to make a 2" or so radius bend, from just inside the front cover and towards the back. You have to estimate where to put the new hole for the fitting to match where it will be with the radius in the tube.

Name:	P1000211 old location-s.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	106338 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000212 90 degree fitting-s.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	106339

You could also give yourself a "back" propane in orientation by using the 90 degree fitting and just turning it in that direction.

Zep
Old 07-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I stood in front of that heater, and it wasn't florida but compared to that 8 degree heat it made a big difference, I was impressed. I know our suburban would never keep up like that, not to mention all the battery power it would eat up.

LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote