Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Old, old, old airconditioner removal

I am in the process of removing the air conditioner from the roof of our "new" 62 Tradewind and am puzzled. As usual. I removed all of the interior portion of the unit, wires, tubes everything down to bare ceiling. No 14x14 hole, just a shaft sticks down for the double ended fan motor. Undid, and pushed through the roof, the metal conduit. Removed various copper tubings. I must have removed a hundred rivets and screws that were holding it down on the top. I cut away the sealants, of all sorts, and am trying to remove the whole carcass from the roof. Are there any other "hold downs?" Something that keeps it from lifting off other than more adhesives and sealants? Thanks, bill b.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Probably not. When you removed the interior parts, you couldn't miss the through-bolts. The sealant is really difficult to dislodge, and you may discover the famous "hidden rivet" trick that seems to exist in every Airstream dismantle job. Good luck.
Zep
Old 10-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
Probably not. When you removed the interior parts, you couldn't miss the through-bolts. The sealant is really difficult to dislodge, and you may discover the famous "hidden rivet" trick that seems to exist in every Airstream dismantle job. Good luck.
Zep
Yup. Found the mystery rivets. They were just next to the shaft that drives the fans. Under 50 years of Texas Panhandle red dirt it's hard to find all of them. Thanks for the warning. Now all I have to do is throw the pieces off the roof and plug the holes.
Cheers bill b.