Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
NT35K Suburban Furnace replacement??

Looking for a little feedback....we are finding ourselves north of thre sunbelt with a furnace that has just decided to give us a challange.

This is a 1990 34' limited with as Suburban NT-35k unit in it.
VERY long story short, I refuse to dump any more $ into a 22yr old issue.
Its that gut feeling its time to replace.

Im all set on the hands on application of replacement....wondering if there are any units that will match the current exterior holes...I am concerned, as I do not want to cut new holes into the skin.

Will the SF-35FQ 35,000 unit fit into my existing space under the stove using the current 2 holes in the skin?

Many thanks to all....itds getting a bit burrrrrrrry at night
Elf 1
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Like I just posted in another thread, Suburban NT models will generally fit right in where the old NT came out.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kimmell , Indiana
Hi Elf1
Here's a possible solution:
Suburban NT 30K furnace
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I'm with Terry that the old ones will fit the new ones (holes). There hve been notes on here that gaslines had to be moved (different entry point, IIRC) but no exterior modifications, that I have heard of.

As to the model, I would tend to want a new NT-34. The only difference I can see from their (very bare) specifications is that the motor draws substantially more current. It is my belief that this means it will have more output.

You are working on the largest AS, it seems to me to be logical you would want the higher output. Have a look here. They treated me well (usual disclaimer, I have nothing to do with them outside of being a recently satisfied client).
Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
The NT 35K is an oddball size. Other Suburban furnaces won't fit in the space nor do the vent and exhaust connections line up. There is a special order replacement model (expensive) that can still be ordered according to the parts catalog: NT34SPN . I'm in the same boat and I still haven't decided what to do because $1200 for a replacement furnace is still too big of a bite for me.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
The NT 35K is an oddball size. Other Suburban furnaces won't fit in the space nor do the vent and exhaust connections line up. There is a special order replacement model (expensive) that can still be ordered according to the parts catalog: NT34SPN . I'm in the same boat and I still haven't decided what to do because $1200 for a replacement furnace is still too big of a bite for me.
Crusty....do you have a source for this ...or link....??
This unit is for my personal rig, so I want it done right....
Im wondering about the lead times now ...due to the cold weather ...and want to get a step on it.

I am thankful that I have no issues on the install myself...its just sourcing the darn thing that seems it will prove a challange

I appreciate ALL of the prompt responses....cool is one thing....cold is not acceptable

Cheers
Elf 1
Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I got that info from the PPL Motorhomes Parts Catalog.
RV Parts and Accessories for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Give them a call to find out if they can truly get it and how long it will take.

It may be possible to cut the bottom out of the storage compartment for the sink covers and install a more common model, but you'll have problems with the exhaust and vents.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Old 10-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
One of my summer projects this year was to install a replacement for the old nt 32 that was trying to kill us last year. Bought a replacement nt 30 sp from Inland RV, knowing in advance that I was going to have to modify the mounting to do the install. ( measure what you have and see what the specs of the new one give for size.) Had to modify the mount for height and the gas line for position and then the ducting. All went well with only the normal amount of foul words and scraped knuckles. We now have lots of heat when needed and a CO monitor that stays quiet when the furnace is on........Phil.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My NT30 Suburban fit right in the same space the old one was. I just had to build a pedestal.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
An alternative to consider is to replace with an Atwood furnace. The exterior cutout will be much larger since these are designed to be serviced from outside, but the cutout would overlap the existing air and exhaust ports so there would be no need for any patching. I believe there's an Airstream service bulletin on how to do this that includes plans for making a little wooden shelf for the Atwood to sit on.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Thanks to All for the information. I am opting for a NT replacement.
I will post on my install.....minus the mumbled words....gurss that must be a common issue as my knuckles always take a beating as well!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Elf, you didn't mention the problem with your existing NT35K but it could be something that new control boards would fix. You'll have to maintain your existing sparker electrode because there isn't a compatible replacement available but usually a light sanding and cleaning will fix them.
"Rancho Deluxe"

Tags
suburban nt 35k