Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
NT32 Suburban Woes

I recently bought a 1975 Excella 500..and love it...AC new, great shape...BUT (there's always one, right??) the last 8-year owners never used the furnace and didn't even know if it worked and were afraid to try. We couldn't get it to light and called in a family member who has his own HVAC company. He took it out, said the housing was good, and gave me a long list of parts that need replacing, ranging from circuit board to gas valve, limit switch, micro switch, lock-out relay, and electrode.
IF I decide to repair, where is a good place for parts? Will they ll be available?
If I were to replace it with a new furnace, what would you recommend? Do you know what unit would be the equivalent of the NT32?

at the risk of sounding uber-girly, this gas stuff scares the hell outta me! I will attempt to repair just about anything, but i wasn't raised around gas and don't feel confident at all...no heat pumps for RV's out there yet???
Susan in Va
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
Hard to decide...

Since no one has responded with suggestions, I found a couple of places in old posts and have been checking for parts (MarksRV, VintageTrailerSupply, Inland (no furnaces?)) but am not having much luck in finding all the parts the repair guy wants. I would have thought I'd find info on the sales site's as to which to pick, but they just list three current Suburban's...30, 34 and 40...but no further explanation as to which is for what.

Has anyone here replaced an Excella 500 furnace? if so, please let me know what you used???
Susan in Va
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bend , Oregon
Suburban NT32 A '74 rear bath 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
I recently bought a 1975 Excella 500..and love it...AC new, great shape...BUT (there's always one, right??) the last 8-year owners never used the furnace and didn't even know if it worked and were afraid to try. We couldn't get it to light and called in a family member who has his own HVAC company. He took it out, said the housing was good, and gave me a long list of parts that need replacing, ranging from circuit board to gas valve, limit switch, micro switch, lock-out relay, and electrode.
IF I decide to repair, where is a good place for parts? Will they ll be available?
If I were to replace it with a new furnace, what would you recommend? Do you know what unit would be the equivalent of the NT32?

at the risk of sounding uber-girly, this gas stuff scares the hell outta me! I will attempt to repair just about anything, but i wasn't raised around gas and don't feel confident at all...no heat pumps for RV's out there yet???
Susan in Va
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Since no one has responded with suggestions, I found a couple of places in old posts and have been checking for parts (MarksRV, VintageTrailerSupply, Inland (no furnaces?)) but am not having much luck in finding all the parts the repair guy wants. I would have thought I'd find info on the sales site's as to which to pick, but they just list three current Suburban's...30, 34 and 40...but no further explanation as to which is for what.

Has anyone here replaced an Excella 500 furnace? if so, please let me know what you used???
Susan in Va
I have the same furnace and questions regarding the replacement model number.
DERF
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Virginia
I recently completey refurbished a Suburban NT30MP furnace in a 1979 airstream. It works as well as it can for a 30 yeard old unit. Together with the parts I have already put into it, If I decided to replace the burner and gas valve in the future, the total parts cost would exceed the cost of a new furnace. : (

Here's my advice Susan: If you can afford to have it replaced with a new unit, do so. Also, make sure the intake and exhaust have a cover to protect it from insect intrusion.

Hope this helps.
gonorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
Went with a new furnace...

gonorth,

That's exactly what I ended up doing...I found most of the replacement parts except for the gas valve, which apparently isn't available for my particular unit, so I bought a brand-spanking new Suburban and my boyfriend and I installed it ourselves. It really wan't bad, other than the part where you're grovelling around on the floor to get out the old unit. :=)

I'm all for restoration when possible, but there's something about the peace-of-mind that a new furnace affords me. i didn't grow up with gas, I don't know enuf about it, and it makes me nervous, so the more new the better! It sure feels nice and toasty when it's fired up...so I be happy!
SS
1978 Hilltopper Popup (really stanky)
Picturetrail.com/sdsteele
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
The parts are greater than the sum

Seems like with furnaces it's better safe than sorry. Though I'd like to repair my NT22 there hasn't been a soul on this forum that had done it due to recalls etc.

What is it they say about the total cost of a car if you bought all the parts to build it yourself? It costs twice as much? I think that my 72 Airstream will be like that by the time I made all of the old stuff new.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Amherst , Virginia
RichHog Spoketh: "I think that my 72 Airstream will be like that by the time I made all of the old stuff new."

Yup...no doubt..but they'll be just like we want 'em!!! Vintage (like me!) but still in pretty good shape (hopefull like me!) and ready to keep on truckin'!
1978 Hilltopper Popup (really stanky)
Picturetrail.com/sdsteele