Old 11-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Exactly. The Atwood Everest is very similar to the Suburban furnace you mention.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
You could put an inline fan in the duct going aft to boost the flow They are available in a couple different sizes.

yellowTAIL™ 3” Blower - SHURflo

Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
My sister's Scamp has the Everest Star. Its effective but I don't find it to be quiet. When I sleep my head is about 5 ft. from the heater and it tends to wake me up from the fan noise when it cycles. I don't know if this is relevant to your usage pattern or the soundness of your sleep but fwiw..

Also I had one of these small furnaces in a class B, but they ducted it. It was quieter in the ducted installation. The ducting seems to muffle the blower noise to a degree.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #18
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Here's a place that has insulated flexible duct. It's $18 a foot though. They list 4" as the smallest size on the web site but the price list also includes 3".

http://www.ducting.com/Type_U.html
Old 11-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
_

. , .
looking now at the bathroom vent,

it would be easy to put a T there,

add another 3 feet of duct inside the cabinetry

and another vent cover/opening in the bedroom.

then completely closing the bathroom vent

would send 2x as much warm air into the back room.

pretty much the same layout in a 31 but the 30 hvac is a bit different.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
looking now at the bathroom vent,

it would be easy to put a T there,

add another 3 feet of duct inside the cabinetry

and another vent cover/opening in the bedroom.

then completely closing the bathroom vent

would send 2x as much warm air into the back room.

pretty much the same layout in a 31 but the 30 hvac is a bit different.

cheers
2air'
My experience is that very little heat and not much airflow makes it to the bathroom.

I like aerowood's little fan.

However with the doors open between the living room and the bedroom we are quite comfortable sleeping with adequate blankets. However we haven't been out any lower that about 25F.

Ken
Old 11-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #21
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
My experience is that very little heat and not much airflow makes it to the bathroom...
the flow 2 my johnny is toasty...

easily the 30 degrees warmer that jammer notes above.

given the shower space is warmed via the ducts leaking and hot water,

i could get by without direct head heating, pretty easily.

the insides of these streams are very different at 20 with wind,

or when it's 10 and colder outside.

since all the bits contract (shrinkage!) every gap gets gapEEr, especially the entry door.

and a LOT of air comes in via the fridge backsides/install, the drawer underneath becomes a wine chiller.

i could tell reliably when the outside temps hit zero in the old moho...

the shower trap wasn't insulated and would freeze, filling the pan with bath water.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Would work but since the bathroom also lacks heat I doubt if it would help much.

[eta: crossposted with 2air] A factor to consider is that the bulkhead forward of the 'fridge is a source of heat loss since the 'fridge compartment is vented to outside. Adjoining areas, the dinette and the wall next to the head in my traylah, are cooled as a result.

Adding heat IN the bathroom might solve much of the problem but there is no room to do so in a 30' (head on streetside and shower on curbside). The places to do it are taken up by wheelwells, lav sink, and the water heater.

There may be a third possibility that we have not counted upon :-) which is that we could run an additional flexible duct back from the Atwood to the bedroom. It could replace one of the outlets into the living room area or be a fifth connection through the bottom of the furnace.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #23
_

. , .
is there no duct near the john under the sink?

yep, floor plan matters.

and the split bath is an issue at the shower,

that' how the oldmoho was too and shower stall was like a meat locker when cold out.

on the 34 curbside is entry door/dinette/fridge and long closet with only the water pump as plumbing bits.

street side is galley and full bath and furnace and water heater and all the ducting and plumbing...

except for the 1 lame duct that passes UNDER the subfloor, along with the water pump feeds/returns.

these hvac/plumbing layouts are rubrics from another dimension.

the one redeeming factor with the basic 34 is they've been tweaking the SAME floorplan 4 a really long time.

cheers
2air'

Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
The layout is:
curbside - galley sink with furnace below, range, closet, shower
streetside - cabinet, dinette, fridge, head, lav sink with water heater below

Ductwork includes
- two outlets inches away from the range facing forward across the entry door towards the gaucho
- one duct with an outlet just forward of the shower. The interior of the closet extends about 10" aft of the closet door into the bathroom area and the outlet is in the wall between the closet and the bathroom.
- one duct leading under the shower to the bedroom.

A degree of heat in the shower enclosure is provided by the duct to the bedroom.

I believe that both the bathroom and bedroom ducts have small side ducts T'ed off them with little 1.5" tendrils extending down into the tank area and the space where the water lines cross under the trailer to reach the head and lav.

Overall the floorplan is highly functional. The only thing I would change is I would make the cabinet area forward of the dinette a few inches smaller to accommodate a slightly larger dinette.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
One of the outlets from the furnace is a smaller (1.5") duct going to the tank area. I can see that it would be possible to replace this with a larger duct going to the bedroom, and a T, so that air is still sent to the tank area. I may explore this further. I think the largest problem area is getting the duct across the water pump area below the closet floor, since that space is now somewhat crowded with the addition of the wall can for the electric heat.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Adjustable registers are available. They come in several colors that may better match the interior of your Airstream. They turn to direct flow just like the OEM registers, but also can be opened and closed. They are not of particularly high quality, but neither are the OEM ones. They are made by the same manufacturer. I think the ones with the adjustable flow are a dollar or two more than the OEM ones.

I replaced 3 of the factory ones with ones made for Winnebagos because of the better color match and the ability to adjust air flow. Unlike Jammer, we want the bedroom to be cooler, so I just shut off the bedroom. I did not notice any significant increase in air flow from the other registers, but if there's a T off to the tanks, maybe the bedroom air is going there, not a bad thing.

You could close down the living area registers part way to increase flow to the bedroom. I don't know whether shutting down one register will negatively affect the furnace. If there are T's from the bedroom and bathroom ducts, it may be a small change.

Our thermostat is in the bedroom so when the bedroom is cool, the rest of the trailer can get too warm. I would prefer the thermostat to be in the living area.

I believe this is the vendor where I got the registers: Winnebago Parts - Official Winnebago Parts and Accessories Catalog

Gene
Old 12-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #27
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Looks like the furnace ducts are 4" (not 3" as I stated upthread).

There are cheaper sources for ductwork. Amazon has a couple of grades. Here's the better one, at $3 a foot:

Amazon.com: M-Kc Thermaflex Flexible Hvac Duct - 4 Inch Diameter R4.2: Home Improvement

I'm thinking I may try using some of that. It should help with both the noise and the heat distribution.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #28
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
I note that the static pressure specification is 0.1" WC at the duct and .25" in the casing.

Atwood recommends flexible duct have a temperature rating of 250 degrees continuous, for short ducts less than 9" in length (the galley ducts would be in this category), and 200 degrees continuous for longer runs. However, the high limit is set at 190 degrees.

Tags
furnace tuning