Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
How does the noise level compare to the noise made by the furnace itself?
The blower noise is higher than the furnace. It is not something you would want to have running all of the time, but that is not what I was looking for. Only looking for heat in the rear bath when wanted.

Like I said, this thing really moves the air. It will only take a minute or two to heat up the bath, as it will already be somewhat warm, just not toasty.

Just a real nice boost.

The blower draws 4 amps.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Just had another thought. I should probably stop thinking.

If someone wanted to get a little fancy, the bilge blower could be wired through a control device, perhaps an after market variable speed windshield wiper switch like we use in street rods, to slow the blower way down so that it could be used to adjust the air going to the back of the trailer, Then you could really keep the trailer at a constant temperature throughout. Then crank it up at bath time.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #157
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Just had another thought. I should probably stop thinking.

If someone wanted to get a little fancy, the bilge blower could be wired through a control device, perhaps an after market variable speed windshield wiper switch like we use in street rods, to slow the blower way down so that it could be used to adjust the air going to the back of the trailer, Then you could really keep the trailer at a constant temperature throughout. Then crank it up at bath time.
I have just designed (on paper) and procured parts to perform this function with a parallel circuit for the furnace blower. Not to even out heat, but to supplement the propane heat with electric and still keep enough warm airflow to the tank compartments. My fear is, with electric supplement, that the furnace will not run enough to keep the tanks from freezing. So I want to keep a small volume of air flowing to the tanks at all times while on shore power and electric heat.

I am using a heater blower switch and resistor block for an 86 Chev van (use what you want, this is just an older, very simple circuit design) and wiring to use low and medium #1 speeds only. When I get around to actually installing the circuit, I'll post pics and performance.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #158
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The automotive blower resistor blocks do have to be in moving air or they will overheat.

There are a variety of dropping resistors out there that have a more flexible thermal design. Also, you might consider a PWM circuit, which would have the advantage of lower power draw.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #159
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
The automotive blower resistor blocks do have to be in moving air or they will overheat.

There are a variety of dropping resistors out there that have a more flexible thermal design. Also, you might consider a PWM circuit, which would have the advantage of lower power draw.
Yeah, I actually have some dropping resistors in varying resistance values out in the garage. If I wind up using the automotive resistor block, I plan on cutting a hole in the furnace blower box just like in the automotive application. When I get the experiment going I'll try several setups. I'm not really concerned about the power draw issue as this circuit will only be used while on shore power to move electrically produced heat around. When off the grid the normal propane furnace on time will keep the tanks protected.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #160
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
How much electric heat do you have and where? I have 3000 watts and when temperatures are below freezing outside the propane still runs a great deal.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
How much electric heat do you have and where? I have 3000 watts and when temperatures are below freezing outside the propane still runs a great deal.
At this point, I only have the 1500 watt'er I used with my 22' SOB. I haven't decided whether to do something else nor what to use - hot air, oil, or some combination thereof, etc. We really can't go much more than 3000 Watts with 30A service, can we?

I do like the small 1500 watt I currently have because it's small and is useful to blow directly under the sink furnace air return port. I haven't really investigated anything else that's out there, other than reading some posts here. Suggestions?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #162
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Jammer,

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right about the PWM speed controller. Much simpler install. Thanks. Check this one out. What do you think?

I believe our blower motors are just under 10A, right?

QKits Electronic Kits: MX033, PWM DC Motor Speed Control Module
Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #163
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
I was asked for an "on the road" update, well, here it is.

We have been in Quartzsite AZ for a week. It has been in the low 70s during the day, but very cool at night, and by sunrise it is cold. Not the cold some if you have for sure, but nun the less, cold. I turn the furnace on, and in about two minutes the furnace is warm, so I turn the bilge blower on in the rear bath and shut the sliding doors. In about another two minutes the bath room is much warmer than the rest of the trailer. Before Lynn is finished in the bathroom, she has already turned off the blower.

So far, we really like the setup.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #164
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Jammer,

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right about the PWM speed controller. Much simpler install. Thanks. Check this one out. What do you think?

I believe our blower motors are just under 10A, right?

QKits Electronic Kits: MX033, PWM DC Motor Speed Control Module
That looks like an idea kit for such an experiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
I was asked for an "on the road" update, well, here it is.

We have been in Quartzsite AZ for a week. It has been in the low 70s during the day, but very cool at night, and by sunrise it is cold. Not the cold some if you have for sure, but nun the less, cold. I turn the furnace on, and in about two minutes the furnace is warm, so I turn the bilge blower on in the rear bath and shut the sliding doors. In about another two minutes the bath room is much warmer than the rest of the trailer. Before Lynn is finished in the bathroom, she has already turned off the blower.

So far, we really like the setup.
Excellent news, Jim, thanks for the update. There is no substitute for field testing.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #165
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
On the road report #2

Well gang, we have been in Texas since Tuesday. Freezing temps much of the time during the day and every night until last night here on
South Padre Island.
Electricity went out here on the island Thursday at 8 pm, and didn't come back until Friday about 3 pm. Thursday night I set the furnace thermostat to 50. The furnace cycled all night without running the batteries down. Friday morning I hooked up the Honda and got everything up again.

The fun part was the bilge blower fan supplying nice warm air to the rear bath on demand. Nice and toasty for the evening showers.

Love it, love it, love it.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #166
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Night before last low temperatures were forecast and I decided to spend the night in my trailer to see how the heat actually works in practice.

The trailer warmed up evenly and I enjoyed a good night's sleep. It was -15 F. outside the following morning. Temperatures were still even throughout the trailer. I'm very happy with the results.

The only thing left to do is make a new floor for the closet that leaves room for the ducts. I'll post pics when it's done.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #167
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Jammer, good for you. That was quite a lot of experimentation and determination. You like a warm bedroom, we like a cold one. We should never trade trailers.

Gene
Old 02-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #168

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Thank ya'll for posting your efforts and the results!

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace tuning