Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

I just purchased a 68 Globe Trotter and need AC as I live in Dallas. I do not know why but I just do not want to put the AC on the roof and have looked at portable AC's as an option. I have seen 12,000-13,000 BTU models with heat for under $600.00.

I would think a vent out to one of the outside access doors running the heat exchage under the front pull out would be perfect. Anyone have thoughts on this option? There are only two of us and I do not see space too much of an issue.

Another plus is that I could roll it out when not using the Airstream and cool off the garage when fixing it!!!

I would love to hear anyones thoughts about this. I assume 12,000 BTU's is enough for a Globe Trotter, at night the bathroom pocket door would be closed.

Bryan
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I think its a great idea. In fact that was my plan on the Traveler, but ended up selling it. I think the roof mount A/C looks odd on a small trailer.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 09:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

location is just one issue....how about electricity?....12,000's need 110X30 amp svc some need 220 at 20 amps....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:54 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hi Geof

I was looking at the specs - it says:

Power Source 120V - 60Hz
Rated Current 9 A

The rated current 9A - would that specify that with this unit plus whatever I was running with the AC on I would need 30 amps?

I am not very savvy when it comes to electricity-
Thank you for your comment.

Bryan
Old 07-07-2003, 05:38 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
hot air rises...

My only concern about floor-mounting an air unit would be that it won't cool very efficiently. The ceiling is where the heat is. A roof mount unit intakes that hot air, and blows cold to the interior allowing for the cool air to mix with the hot and cause convection throughout the system. I'm not sure that, at least in concept, a floor mount unit would work nearly as well.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The relative efectiveness of any RV Air Conditioner, depends on the air distribution.

A ceiling mounted AC is ideal in that it picks up the warmest interior air, cools it and the distibutes it both for and aft.

A floor mounted AC will not perform those functions.

A "basement" AC works because the air is ducted to the ceiling.

On the other hand, why do we want an AC?

Is it for looks, or personal comfort?

When it comes to personal comfort, some compromises are a given.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:23 AM   #7
qqq
4 Rivet Member

In most motels the AC is near floor level, and cools perfectly.
I love this idea & am going to consider it seriously.

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:29 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

I have used a portable

I have used a portable for the past couple of years.

I made a cardboard template that replaces the screen in my back window. (Window cranked out) and the hot air is vented through there.

It has oscillating louvers that move the air left to right and fixed louvers that can shoot the air up or down. I supplement that with a clip on fan mounted toward the ceiling ... blowing downward. Condesate is drained through the shower drain.

This combination does a good job of reducing heat stratification
at the ceiling level ... but then again I dont sit at or near the ceiling ... I sit on the goucho's.

Granted I only have a 17 footer. The unit is a 9,000 BTU.
Total cost for a non profile ruining, not hauled around for 10 un-needed months of the year for not, solution ... $250.00

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:43 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Portable AC

I am attracted to the fact that I can take this thing from the Airstream, use it in my garage, or in my home office where in the summer, my home AC never gets it as cools as I would like.
I bet 12,000 BTU's would do a good job cooling a 20 foot trailer-
Old 07-07-2003, 08:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Sorry, I fail to see the comparison of a motel room, that is part of a building, that is usually shaded on three sides, to an Airstream trailer, that bounces down the road, punishing equipment that was designed to sit still, and at the same time being exposed to the mercy of the sun.

Additionally, the motel AC units have a considerablty larger cooling coil than any RV airconditioner, let alone that of a household window unit.

Warm air rises, cool air falls. If the cool air is exhausted at the floor line, your feet will be comfy, and that's about all.

Mounting a window type AC, in place of an Airstream window, is not recommended because of the weight distribution, and, the shell not being designed to take added weight, especially when hitting bumps. If the trailer stays stationary, then that's a different matter.

All too many times, make shift installations result in costly repairs at a later date.

Ask those that bought such a trailer.

But, to each his own.

Andy
Old 07-07-2003, 08:59 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Bouncing Portables

My Portable rides in my tow vehicle when enroute to a campsite.

Only the exhust tube sits in the window. The "unit" is an upright
and looks much like a dehumidifier, A little taller and narrower.

No problamo.

DMC
Old 07-07-2003, 09:11 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

A Picture of another option

http://www.zianet.com/rlashway/

Saw this several years ago ... Was my inspiration to NOT
have a roof mounted A/C

Thus the portable, NOT window mounted option.

DMC
Old 07-07-2003, 09:14 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Andy, I guess this is for you. If I decided to go with the roof mount, how many labor hours would you guess it would take?

Airstream says I have the electric, but it is a 68 GT and I guess it does not have the drain.

Approximate is very OK

Thanks!

Bryan
Old 07-07-2003, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Cutting the hole, beefing up the roof, adding a drain line, installing the AC, and final check out, would take us, in our shop, about 4 hours.

Andy
Old 07-07-2003, 09:28 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

In respect of ...

In respect of Andy and Roof mounted A/C's

The newer "low profile" roof mounted a/c's are MUCH more
appealing than some of the LARGE BLOCKY MONSTERS that I have
seen on smaller units.

Alot has changed with a/c's in the past 30 years, In size and style at least (and surely in function and efficeincy)

DMC
Old 07-07-2003, 10:03 AM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
portable window unit

When I had my '61 Bambi, it didn't have a roof air unit. I jury-rigged a small, portable window A/C unit to balance and fit into one of the roadside windows with the screen removed. It fit under the open window quite nicely. I could take it out and put it on the floor for travelling.

While it was the proper size, and should have done a super job for that square footage, the heat input from the skin overwhelmed it. It just couldn't cool the trailer very well, even though it was effective in a house. It was a pain to put in and take out. I thought it was a super quick-fix at the time, but the experience told me that I won't bother trying it again.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:06 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

A small A/C will work anywhere in an Airstream if the insulation were better-windows are covered with reflective bubble wrap insulation-and an extra fan is incorporated to move air more efficiently....my insulation is a "R-14" foam polyisocynate with auminum foil attached to both sides and sealed with spray can foam....the trailer is like a meat locker in January....it was a struggle to redo the trailer and it is much more "spartin" than those fancy "New York Apartments" that come form the factory.....but it works for me and that was what is important... Theoretically figuring btu's at 0 degree and a 10 mile an hour wind blowing I need a 8500 btu furnace to maintain 70 degrees and in 95 degree heat with 100% humidity in the sun,I need only 7300 btu's to stay confortable-[78 degrees] Of course, I go to Fla. when it gets that cold....the heat is normal for Cincinnati in the summer.....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:53 AM   #18

1974 25' Tradewind
Palmdale Ca
74 Airstream A/C Installation

Andy

I have a 74 25' and want to install an A/C. It has not had a a A/C before and I'm trying to find out what is required to install either the Collman or carrier. Do either require a special drip pan to addapt to the Airstream.

Del
Old 07-18-2003, 09:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
All airconditioners installed on any Airstream trailer, require a drip pan, so that the water does not run down the sides of the coach, staining it.

However, if a person does not mind the staining, then a drip pan is not necessary.

The only drip pan available from Airstream is for the Penguin.

We will have a drip pan available for the Carriers in about a week.

Andy
Old 05-28-2005, 12:32 PM   #20
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Split Ac Unit

Found this thread and thought it suitable to post this example here.

Installation is on & in a 24' Argosy. The owner didn't want to hear the AC all night long. This installation is so quiet, when I'm outside next to it I couldn't hear it unless I tried. When you step into this coach you are amazed how cool it is and suprised that the AC is running because you can't hear it.

In this particular installation power is supplied by both shore current and a MicroQuiet 3600 LP (I think) below the curbside twin berth. The LPG tanks did not have to be relocated and are removed for the photos.

Clean and efficient install!
Attached Images

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote