Old 07-07-2003, 10:28 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

In respect of ...

In respect of Andy and Roof mounted A/C's

The newer "low profile" roof mounted a/c's are MUCH more
appealing than some of the LARGE BLOCKY MONSTERS that I have
seen on smaller units.

Alot has changed with a/c's in the past 30 years, In size and style at least (and surely in function and efficeincy)

DMC

Old 07-07-2003, 11:03 AM   #16
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
portable window unit

When I had my '61 Bambi, it didn't have a roof air unit. I jury-rigged a small, portable window A/C unit to balance and fit into one of the roadside windows with the screen removed. It fit under the open window quite nicely. I could take it out and put it on the floor for travelling.

While it was the proper size, and should have done a super job for that square footage, the heat input from the skin overwhelmed it. It just couldn't cool the trailer very well, even though it was effective in a house. It was a pain to put in and take out. I thought it was a super quick-fix at the time, but the experience told me that I won't bother trying it again.

Roger

Old 07-07-2003, 12:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

A small A/C will work anywhere in an Airstream if the insulation were better-windows are covered with reflective bubble wrap insulation-and an extra fan is incorporated to move air more efficiently....my insulation is a "R-14" foam polyisocynate with auminum foil attached to both sides and sealed with spray can foam....the trailer is like a meat locker in January....it was a struggle to redo the trailer and it is much more "spartin" than those fancy "New York Apartments" that come form the factory.....but it works for me and that was what is important... Theoretically figuring btu's at 0 degree and a 10 mile an hour wind blowing I need a 8500 btu furnace to maintain 70 degrees and in 95 degree heat with 100% humidity in the sun,I need only 7300 btu's to stay confortable-[78 degrees] Of course, I go to Fla. when it gets that cold....the heat is normal for Cincinnati in the summer.....geof
Old 07-18-2003, 09:53 AM   #18

1974 25' Tradewind
Palmdale Ca
74 Airstream A/C Installation

Andy

I have a 74 25' and want to install an A/C. It has not had a a A/C before and I'm trying to find out what is required to install either the Collman or carrier. Do either require a special drip pan to addapt to the Airstream.

Del
Old 07-18-2003, 10:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
All airconditioners installed on any Airstream trailer, require a drip pan, so that the water does not run down the sides of the coach, staining it.

However, if a person does not mind the staining, then a drip pan is not necessary.

The only drip pan available from Airstream is for the Penguin.

We will have a drip pan available for the Carriers in about a week.

Andy
Old 05-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #20
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Rivet Split Ac Unit

Found this thread and thought it suitable to post this example here.

Installation is on & in a 24' Argosy. The owner didn't want to hear the AC all night long. This installation is so quiet, when I'm outside next to it I couldn't hear it unless I tried. When you step into this coach you are amazed how cool it is and suprised that the AC is running because you can't hear it.

In this particular installation power is supplied by both shore current and a MicroQuiet 3600 LP (I think) below the curbside twin berth. The LPG tanks did not have to be relocated and are removed for the photos.

Clean and efficient install!
Attached Images

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:38 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Since we've revived this old thread just in time for Summer A/C season, I thought I would toss in my experiences. We owned a small trailer, that never had roof A/C, and rather than cut a hole in the roof, and run electricity to the roof, we installed a 14,000 btu wall A/C near the floor. It was NOT a satisfactory location. Our feet would freeze, but the rest of our body parts would roast. Not a very comfortable situation. If you are going to put an A/C near the floor, duct the cold air up to where it will do the most good.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Neat AC

These type of AC units are being used all through Kuwait and Iraq, or one's very similiar - and they work well. When I was over there I thought they'd be cool on a trailer, and here you go!

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
These type of AC units are being used all through Kuwait and Iraq, or one's very similiar - and they work well. When I was over there I thought they'd be cool on a trailer, and here you go!

Rob
Any idea where I could find one of these?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:46 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Some prices on split units here.

Kind of expensive!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:59 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Slinger wheel vs. drip pan

I have seen much discussion regarding drip pans/tubes when installing a replacement a/c unit. I was under the impression that when it comes to Carrier units and their "Slinger wheel" design, drip pans are unnecessary? In fact, Inlandrv.com says drip pan is not needed in their Carrier listing. So, do Carriers need drip pans or not? Thanks
Old 05-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The Carrier AC's do not need a drip pan.

However, you must add a drain hole to the Carrier, so the water does not build up to hit the slinger.

That hole is added to the bottom of the pan just below the slinger fan.

A fitting must be attached to the hole and then the drain hose that's already in the trailer shell, is attached to that fitting.

Andy
Old 05-30-2005, 04:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Cool Portable Unit

Sorry I don't have the digital camera, but our computer room at work had problems overheating. It's about 20 x 12 with 9 ft ceilings. We were able to find a small portable unit - about 2.5 ft high by 18 inches sq. with a flexible exhaust hose to go through a side wall (think sort of a rigid slinky 8" in diameter). I think we paid about $500 for it.

This unit probably weighs under 50 lbs and is on casters. It is quite low noise. We had to vent it through the ceiling so we used stove pipe. It also has a fitting for a garden hose in the back to drain excess water. We don't need the hose as this is an assist unit for our regular A/C. The brand name is "Amcor".

I don't see why it couldn't be vented out of an airstream window or ceiling vent with a hose into the shower. As a matter of fact set it up IN the shower and use the shower vent for hot air and the drain for the water. This thing could probably cool a tent if you wanted to and with a ramp you could unload it to use in a garage, shed, etc. when not camping - or to have it out of the way during cooler months.

Tin Lizzie
Old 05-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Today May-30,2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center
The Carrier AC's do not need a drip pan.

However, you must add a drain hole to the Carrier, so the water does not build up to hit the slinger.
That hole is added to the bottom of the pan just below the slinger fan.
A fitting must be attached to the hole and then the drain hose that's already in the trailer shell, is attached to that fitting.

Andy
on July-18,2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center
All airconditioners installed on any Airstream trailer, require a drip pan, so that the water does not run down the sides of the coach, staining it.

However, if a person does not mind the staining, then a drip pan is not necessary.

The only drip pan available from Airstream is for the Penguin.

We will have a drip pan available for the Carriers in about a week.

Andy
Andy these two statements seem to contradict one another. Has something changed with the Carrier unit since july 2003?
Did you end up with Carrier custom drip pans in stock or not?
If so could you give your part number please.
Even if they are not still needed, do you think having one would be extra protection?