Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Noisy a/c now quiet

I had both a/c units replaced last Fall under warranty. After the replacement, the rear a/c has had a loud droning noise when the compressor is running. I finally decided to investigate. Got up on roof and removed cover-everything looked good. The noise seemed to be coming from the rear of the unit and when feeling around the bottom of the unit, the noise went away. There is not much clearance between the roof and the bottom of the a/c and in one place the roof was bowed up just enough to touch the bottom of the a/c. I has some foam tape with adhesive on both sides that was a good fit. Pushed down on the roof and inserted the foam. A/C is now much quieter.

I like it when the fix is easy and not expensive!
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Good troubleshooting, and thanks for sharing. I agree, it's nice when the fix is easy and inexpensive.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Well, the fix was not long term. The foam was too soft and as it compressed, the noise came back. I have some 1" backer rod and I used it instead of the foam. It helped for a few weeks, but it has now compressed and the noise is back. Anything to look for regarding the compressor? The front a/c changes sound very little when the compressor comes on, but there is a big difference with the rear a/c. Can compressors be out of balance? I'm going to take the cover off again to see if I missed something.
FYI, both a/c's were replaced last winter under warranty.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
On our AC's I installed a wide foam strip made from the same "mount gasket" material. It supports the rear of the AC so no direct frame roof contact.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Thank you for the reply. Ours is quieter with the 1" backer rod wedged under the rear of the unit. I plan on taking the cover off the unit to see if anything is loose or out of position. On the front a/c, you can barely tell when the compressor turns on. There's got to be something that is different.
I am making some supports to put on the roof so I can move around more freely. I have some slats that we took out of a bed we no longer use that are connected by plastic strapping. I plan to cut them in half, lay a furniture pad on the roof and then lay the slats on top.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:17 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Took the cover off today and found that if I applied a little pressure the the high side line, it got quieter. I took the clamp support loose and tweaked the line a little. That seemed to quieter it down a little. We'll see. Looking online I found a Dometic anti vibration kit that has a couple of dampers that go around the line. My unit has one on it but not on the line that was vibrating. Has anyone used these? The kit also has some softer compressor mounts.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I was thinking a Toroid snapped around the tubing.. a small
Piece of fuel line would eliminate most chafing I the AC tubing...anything to change the harmonic..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote