Old 01-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Make sure the one you are looking at does not need the GIANT external vent.

Brevi tempore!
Would you share a photo of the external vent on your trailer?
Thanks!

Old 01-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #30
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
san francisco , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Make sure the one you are looking at does not need the GIANT external vent.

Brevi tempore!
it's a 3 7/8" pipe for exhaust and requires 4 1/8" hole.
interesting the bigger model has smaller exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	will.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	255986  

Old 01-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #31
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
Can you please tell us why you make that statement?

All the catalytic heaters are RIVA and UL certified. Are they both wrong? I do agree there are alternatives but nothing beats a catalytic heater for boon docking.
I don't know who the RIVA is. Perhaps you mean RVIA, but I don't believe they certify heating equipment of any kind, and have never seen their label on a catalytic heater.

I do not believe that the UL listing program applies to gas equipment. Often gas equipment is CGA or AGA listed, or both, although I do not believe that either agency is currently listing unvented heaters for permanent installation in RVs. Perhaps I'm wrong. Their standards chiefly involve fire safety.

In any case, I've written before regarding the safety problems inherent in catalytic heaters, which are legion. I'll let you search, if you're interested, although it appears to me that your mind is made up.

There are other non-electric heaters that are equally suited to boondocking, many of them mentioned here, that do not pose the safety problems of an unvented heater.

Another writer mentioned the vented cat heaters upthread. It is unclear to me whether that product is truly in production at this point. For quite some time efforts to contact the manufacturer were unsuccessful.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:49 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
The Platinum Cat is scheduled to resume construction this month. I have ordered the larger one for my '64 Overlander. It has a small fan which expels exhaust fumes outside the trailer via a 1.5" ABS pipe.

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1453355323.949081.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  28.7 KB
This is the vent cover :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2009 F-150 "Big Red"
Caroyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 04:42 AM   #33
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I don't know who the RIVA is. Perhaps you mean RVIA, but I don't believe they certify heating equipment of any kind, and have never seen their label on a catalytic heater.

I do not believe that the UL listing program applies to gas equipment. Often gas equipment is CGA or AGA listed, or both, although I do not believe that either agency is currently listing unvented heaters for permanent installation in RVs. Perhaps I'm wrong. Their standards chiefly involve fire safety.

In any case, I've written before regarding the safety problems inherent in catalytic heaters, which are legion. I'll let you search, if you're interested, although it appears to me that your mind is made up.

There are other non-electric heaters that are equally suited to boondocking, many of them mentioned here, that do not pose the safety problems of an unvented heater.

Another writer mentioned the vented cat heaters upthread. It is unclear to me whether that product is truly in production at this point. For quite some time efforts to contact the manufacturer were unsuccessful.
I wanted to first, thank you for pointing out one of my handicaps; I am dyslexic. It is a constant struggle for me, I often reverse letters such as RIVA and RVIA. I work very hard to not let it happen but unfortunately it slips through. Most, never notice it, but when some one actually points it out I am completely ashamed.

I have indeed made up my mind, but not about catalytic heaters.

I asked about the safety issues because I have installed dozens of Olympian heaters into clients trailers. If there are issues, I would like to know so I can warn my customers or make changes. Their safety is important to me.

So, I now have gone and looked as you chided me to do. I like it when someone challenges me. I searched "inherent safety issues of catalytic heaters" I added "in an RV", "in a boat", I removed "inherent" in a nut shell; lots of people talking about oxygen depletion being a huge problem. Regular furnaces seem to be a big cause in RVs. I have found a few fires caused by people putting stuff onto or directly next to the heaters. I guess common sense does not come with these heaters. I feel like I just lost an hour I will never gain back.

When a customer discusses heat with me I always try and and sell them on heaters that vent directly to the outside. More often than not, they go with the less expensive alternative. I go out of my way to explain all the possible dangers.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote