Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
There was no condensate drain pipe in my '73. It drained onto the roof then down the side of the trailer.
That's what I'm thinking is the case here, and if so, can you use the drainage kit Lew is suggesting?

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If you don't have an interior condensate tube, there is no need for the drain kit. The unit will simply drain on your roof and flow down the sides thru the designated drainage holes in the base pan.

Due to the curvature of the Airstream roof, I would still use a second gasket to compensate for the curve and better isolate the unit from the roof.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
Lew
I do have a question about the drain kit. We currently dont have one installed, and when I mounted the unit a year ago, there wasnt or sure didnt seem to be any drain lines that went in between the walls to drain down below. If there are no lines then where does the condensate go? BTW, we noticed a bit of a drip coming down one side this last weekend. Looked like the wiring that was tucked up in the cavity was somehow acting as the point at which condensate was forming. Im guessing this kit would help to alleviate that?

Also, is there a difference in the quality of the gaskets that are OEM or manufacturer specific like Dometic or do the aftermarket gaskets work just as well. Any recommendations as to a source online for the drain kit and or gaskets?

Any well stocked RV dealer should have the drain kits and extra gaskets, or can easily order them from Dometic. I have used gaskets from varying sources that were different types of foam and they all work well.

The key is to compress the gaskets to 50% of their original thickness.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 06-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
Lew
I do have a question about the drain kit. We currently dont have one installed, and when I mounted the unit a year ago, there wasnt or sure didnt seem to be any drain lines that went in between the walls to drain down below. If there are no lines then where does the condensate go? BTW, we noticed a bit of a drip coming down one side this last weekend. Looked like the wiring that was tucked up in the cavity was somehow acting as the point at which condensate was forming. Im guessing this kit would help to alleviate that?

Also, is there a difference in the quality of the gaskets that are OEM or manufacturer specific like Dometic or do the aftermarket gaskets work just as well. Any recommendations as to a source online for the drain kit and or gaskets?

Any well stocked RV dealer should have the drain kits and extra gaskets, or can easily order them from Dometic. I have used gaskets from varying sources that were different types of foam and they all work well.

The key is to compress the gaskets to 50% of their original thickness for a proper seal.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 06-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
PS: the upper units of any manufacturer are all the same with regard to their intended usage (whether direct vent or ducted).

It's the 'lower units' that make the difference in how the exhaust and intake air is channeled.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 06-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The stock Armstrong should have had a drain pipe.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:56 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
FLORIDA , Florida
Hey. Lew. Thanks for advice on my unit. I need non ducted and bigger the better.
I any going to try to get the unit I have going. I tried to get it going. I just seemed
To hum and no fan on I turned the fan motor and the fan didnt take off. Any how. I will look
Into it farther. If I do get it running and it seem to be ok can. I still buy an outside cover
And air filters they are rectangular on each side of inside cover.? Thanks again.
Davidlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I pulled down the inside trim last night after it cooled down outside. Looking at the current gasket, its not all that compressed, even after loosening up on the three bolts that hold the outside unit down to the roof, its probably about a 3/4" thickness. I ran it with the bolts loosened and the lower trim off and while it is less noisy, there is still a pretty consistent harmonic that transmits through the trailer.

Looking online, I decided to go with a product called IsolateIt, sold through amazon, and make up a lower gasket out of that to put between the roof and the original gasket. I ordered the 50 duro grade and will see if that does a better job of isolating the vibrations from the unit to the roof. I'll also take some smaller pieces and use them to try and isolate the hold down bars where the touch the inner skin and will create pads for the corners of the inner cover and all the points that touch the inner skin. I think tht is about as much as I can do to quiet it down. Since its not a continuous gasket, I'll either caulk the corners or see if they can be glued together to make a gasket the same size as the original.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Good luck. Hope it works!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
me too...

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 07-22-2015, 03:15 AM   #31
Toomuchfun

2005 19' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Need some guidance on replacing my Penguin air conditioner. I have a 2005 30 ft Classic with a 15000BTU with heat pump controlled by a single zone thermostat. Controls gas furnace, fan, air conditioner, and heat pump.

I purchased the Brisk 15000 BTU Air Conditioner with heat pump that has manual control knobs, can this unit be wired to the thermostat controller. Will it fit in the same opening or should I return?

thanks in advance for your response!
kcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Here is my educated guess.

It will fit the opening, the external thermostat will not work. (But might be able to be made to work)

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrockett View Post
Need some guidance on replacing my Penguin air conditioner. I have a 2005 30 ft Classic with a 15000BTU with heat pump controlled by a single zone thermostat. Controls gas furnace, fan, air conditioner, and heat pump.

I purchased the Brisk 15000 BTU Air Conditioner with heat pump that has manual control knobs, can this unit be wired to the thermostat controller. Will it fit in the same opening or should I return?

thanks in advance for your response!
No. You need a unit that has a control board that is compatible with the single zone t/stat. The unit that you have uses mechanical controls and has no circuitry for connecting to a t/stat.