Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
newbie question on use of air conditioning

All,
Haven't used my AC yet but was wondering, do I keep the vents open while the AC is on to prevent condensation or seal her up tight and let her run? Also, I'll be living in our 30' classic for 3 years during the week and was wondering if I should leave it on all day or fire the AC up when I get home after work? I don't want to burn up the AC prematurely.
goutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Greg N Send a message via Yahoo to Greg N
Use it jus like you would the one in your house...
Greg
Greg N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goutes View Post
All,
Haven't used my AC yet but was wondering, do I keep the vents open while the AC is on to prevent condensation or seal her up tight and let her run? Also, I'll be living in our 30' classic for 3 years during the week and was wondering if I should leave it on all day or fire the AC up when I get home after work? I don't want to burn up the AC prematurely.
The answer to your question is yes.

I live in my Excella and, depending on the weather, I do every option you listed. I only leave the roof vents cracked a little when running the AC. With the windows shut, only the hottest air gets to them anyway and, as far as I am concerned, it's welcome to exit the vents.

Right now, the daytime temps are in the mid 80s to low 90s most of the time. When I go to work I leave the Fantastic Vent in the bedroom blowing out on high and crack a window in front. When I get home from work, I shut off the FF, close the window, and turn on the AC. Not necessarily in that order. It gets comfortable pretty quickly. When it gets warmer, I leave the AC running full-time.

As far as condensation goes, running the AC tends to dehumidify the air making that pretty much of a nonissue. Lately I have been noticing condensation on the windows in the morning, but it's on the outside.

You'll figure out what works for you pretty quickly. Enjoy!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Vaughan speaks from experience, as a full timer while we only go out occasionally.
If you haven't used it yet and it is June, you must be in the shade or getting an ocean breeze. We have had the house A/C on for a month and if we were in the camper it would have been on sooner. I would use the Fantastic fan as it has a sensor that can close it with rain and also operate the fan thermostaticly.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Vaughan speaks from experience, as a full timer while we only go out occasionally.
If you haven't used it yet and it is June, you must be in the shade or getting an ocean breeze. We have had the house A/C on for a month and if we were in the camper it would have been on sooner. I would use the Fantastic fan as it has a sensor that can close it with rain and also operate the fan thermostaticly.
Dave is right about the rain sensor. I couldn't do this without it. In fact, it kept the bed dry just yesterday. When I can afford it, another is going in the front vent. Wouldn't consider one without the rain sensor.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Thank you everyone for your input. I have 2 of the FF with rain sensor so I'll leave those on during the day and turn on the AC when I get home
goutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goutes View Post
Thank you everyone for your input. I have 2 of the FF with rain sensor so I'll leave those on during the day and turn on the AC when I get home
The people I know with two FFs recommend using one blowing in and the other blowing out. You might want to try it both ways.

I also have one of their Endless Breeze stand alone 12v fans. It is a nice extra fan. I am using it to blow into the freezer during a defrost right now.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
The people I know with two FFs recommend using one blowing in and the other blowing out. You might want to try it both ways.
Recent Airstreams have Fantastic Fans that only blow outward. I called FF and got a kit to make the front fan blow in or out. It is an easy install. FF didn't even charge me for the kit.

You can actually just switch the fan motor wires on the front fan to make it blow in.

When we leave the cats in the trailer with the AC on, we open both vent covers and set the thermostats just below where the fans will run. If the input voltage fails, the fans will kick on and save the cats.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote