Old 07-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
New weird AC leak problem

So my ACs were leaking into the inside of my Airstream. The drain was not keeping up with the condensate being created. So I had holes drilled into the drain pan to drain onto the roof. I was finally able to run both ACs for 10+ hours with no inside leakage.

But...

After turning the ACs off, they dripped water into the AS. Only a small amount, and only for a minute. But this has me baffled.

Something is holding back some water somewhere while the fan is on. When the fan is turned off, it releases that water into my AS rather than into the drain pan or the outside.

I at least can run them all night without leakage, so that's a plus. But I have to remember to put down some towels down before I turn them off in the morning. Annoying.

Ideas?

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The fan itself is holding the water up, just from the force of the air blowing.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Yes, I figured as much. It's so bizarre though. Anything that can be done about it?
Old 07-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
How much drips into the trailer?
Old 07-24-2016, 08:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Towel on the floor. That all we have found that works
Old 07-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If it is just a few drips, then I would suggest that what is happening is the plastic duct in the AC that is used to draw in air is getting cooler and cooler the longer you run the system. In theory, if you have your trailer fairly well sealed up, then the air in the trailer should become less and less humid as it gets passed through the AC unit.

Now, if you walk out of the front door, a volume of nice humid air enters your trailer. When this air gets sucked into your AC intake, it is going to encounter that cold plastic, and some of that humidity is going to condense in the intake. Perhaps if the AC is kept running the constant rush of air keeps those drops of condensate stuck to the plastic intake duct, so when you turn it off, the water is then able to drip down.

My AC unit is only a couple of years old. I recently pulled the shroud off of it, and observed that on each side of the unit, there are coolant lines or wires that penetrate from the outside into the air intake side of the AC unit. The factory used some kind of very mobile butyl to seal the hole around the penetrations, and in only a couple years' time, that butyl had sagged enough to allow outside air to get sucked directly into my AC. I got rid of a lot of my dripping when I sealed these up.

So next time you experience this bit of dripping, try to identify exactly where it is coming from, and whether it corresponds to the intake side of the AC or not.

good luck!
Old 07-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I have this too. Two things: 1. Keep the AC filters squeaky clean. 2. Try slightly repositioning the trailer by raising or lowering the tongue jack. In my experience this problem is very sensitive to trailer leveling. In our case it is less pronounced if the tongue end is slightly low. Yours may be different.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post

My AC unit is only a couple of years old. I recently pulled the shroud off of it, and observed that on each side of the unit, there are coolant lines or wires that penetrate from the outside into the air intake side of the AC unit. The factory used some kind of very mobile butyl to seal the hole around the penetrations, and in only a couple years' time, that butyl had sagged enough to allow outside air to get sucked directly into my AC. I got rid of a lot of my dripping when I sealed these up.

So next time you experience this bit of dripping, try to identify exactly where it is coming from, and whether it corresponds to the intake side of the AC or not.

good luck!
Same problem here that Belegedhel had. I see you have a 30 like my 2012 and not a new ducted air model. Pull the inside Dometic housing off, run the unit to find the leak (all condensation should be directed outside and not allowed to seep back inside). I used some of an open tube of ParBond to reseal around a coolant line that was not sealed well, many rubber caulks will work. There are 8 screws that hold the inside housing in place. 4 are mid position larger round holes in the return air area. 2 at center front and rear vent area levers. 2 are at the side/rear inside the small air doors located at each side of the housing (you need to 1/2 open those doors to see the screws). Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
How much drips into the trailer?
After drilling the holes in the drain pan, now it is only a few drops, and only after I turn off the AC.

Drilling the holes was not the correct answer, but at least it lets me run the ACs for 9-10 hours straight without any dripping inside. That was really my primary concern.

The drip now is related to my original problem - the fans causing some sort of vacuum that holds the water and prevents it from draining. But at least now it is only a few drops and I can put the towels down before I turn the AC fans off.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:03 PM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
I have this too. Two things: 1. Keep the AC filters squeaky clean. 2. Try slightly repositioning the trailer by raising or lowering the tongue jack. In my experience this problem is very sensitive to trailer leveling. In our case it is less pronounced if the tongue end is slightly low. Yours may be different.
I concur. Easy step is to clean the filter. Almost 99.99% certain that will make a difference.

"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote