Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
New shroud or new unit? armstrong TR21-12

A few months into our first AS, 73 sovereign 31' I'm deciding what to fix next. My ac shroud is cracked badly and needs to be replaced. AC works fine and we've had no trouble keeping cool in the 90's - actually got pretty chilly in there.
Should I just get a new shroud for a 37 yr old ac for about $250 or just get a whole new unit for about 2x that?
I think new shroud would be less work, but how long is the ac itself going to last? I would think new ones must be more efficient and quieter.
Thanks for any insight.
RaleighAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
There is no way to predict how long your AC will keep on cooling. A lot depends on how the unit was stored, and which if any internal parts the PO had replaced. I think I would just repair the shroud you have rather than spend the money on a new one when the AC is so old. Below is a link to a site showing a shroud repair job.
Air Conditioner Shroud Repair
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
Thanks so much for the repair link! Mine is just like that - missing pieces. I like the DIY abs patch material.
I know it's a gamble on that old ac.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Repair or replace the old shroud. Unlike the new units the old Armstrong can be repaired. It is my understanding the the new Coleman and NorCold units are sealed and if something goes bad you toss the unit.

Finding someone to work on the Armstrong can be a challenge, but I have had decent luck getting a small commercial refrigeration company to work on mine in the past.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The fiberglass Armstrong shrouds get brittle over time. They can be repaired with polyester resin and fiberglass and you can get a few more years out of them. A factor with the old units is the freon is the real deal. Now $$$ black market stuff, if you can get it at all.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
The fiberglass Armstrong shrouds get brittle over time. They can be repaired with polyester resin and fiberglass and you can get a few more years out of them. A factor with the old units is the freon is the real deal. Now $$$ black market stuff, if you can get it at all.
The original Armstrong AC shrouds "are not made with fiberglass"

The "were" made with a cheap plastic using a heat/vacuum forming process.

The only fiberglass AC shroud available for the 1964 to 1979 Armstrong AC's, is an after market.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
Got my new shroud in from Inland and it looks great. I'll re-use the band that connects the two halves and the screen for the rear. I want to paint it white. I could probably do reasonably well with spray paint but I know having a body shop spray would be the best (also the most $). Any recommendations on paint types/methods? I may just go to a shop that repairs a lot of white, fleet trucks and see if they can spray with a little leftover paint.

I did notice one "bump" molded in the top. On my old plastic cover, this was cut out. Wondered if that may have just been PO's lazy way to service something in there? I wouldn't think it's supposed to be cut out.

Also, any idea where I would find the condensate drain? I just want to test and make sure it works before covering all up. Can it be seen, accessed from the roof?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
seal new shroud to roof?

Any tips? Looks like there should be some way for water to drain under it (if it gets inside) and the seal is at the ac unit itself, not the shroud.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighAir View Post
Any tips? Looks like there should be some way for water to drain under it (if it gets inside) and the seal is at the ac unit itself, not the shroud.
Condensate drains from the pan under the unit,the hose/tubing runs down inside the wall on the left hand side of the trailer. If you look underneath you should find where it comes out, use air pressure (gently) and blow back up the tube and you should be able to tell if it is clear or not.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
Can anyone confirm that Freon is not a problem? My understanding is that while the freon these units originally ran with is now banned, there are other replacement refrigerants that are readily available.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag68 View Post
Can anyone confirm that Freon is not a problem? My understanding is that while the freon these units originally ran with is now banned, there are other replacement refrigerants that are readily available.

You have R-22 Freon in your AC.

Chlorodifluoromethane (R-22) is still available, but who can purchase it in some states is limited.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
Finally got around to getting my newly painted shroud on the ac. I assembled the two halves first with the aluminum band. Got it up there and found i'll have to trim some of the lip off the front of shroud and square it up so it will seat down on the roof. Right now it hits on the front corners of the unit right near the roof.
Also found that some PO along the way replaced the compressor with one about 1" taller. So even after cutting out the front shroud corners it's still not going to sit down on the roof. Only thing I can do is cut a little hole in the top "bump" of the shroud so the tip of compressor can stick out. I might have to fabricate some kind of extended cover to go over this as I don't want it just hanging out there thru a hole.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
New ac shroud - mod for taller compressor

Did all the trimming, and fiberglassing to raise the "hump" a bit higher to clear the compressor. Apparently some PO had replaced it with one a little taller than stock. The ac still works fine.

In the background is the "house" water heater I had to remove.

Tags
armstrong, sovereign, tr21-12, air conditioning