Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Dew
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Beaumont , Texas
Cool New furnace odor

New Flying Cloud 3 hours into testing the furnace an odor like burned rubber came up from the furnace area inside. No odor via the vents. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Mark
Dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I would recommend searching on furnace smell or odor. Lots of posts on this topic. Our experience (after 3 new Airstreams) has been just let it burn in. Like you're doing. Most often it is gone by 3rd usage (or maybe we just don't notice it...).
-Ken
Old 04-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Dew
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Beaumont , Texas
Thanks,

I was on my Iphone before and search box was overwritten by a popup. Back on a normal computer.
Mark
Old 04-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is not uncommon to smell oil or burn metal when you first fire a new furnace. These smells are common and are the results of manufacturing, but should come from the inside of the heat exchanger and would come out of the vents and the area around the furnace. Any smell you smell from the furnace area after initial start up is produced outside the heat exchanger if it last any length of time I would assume is an indication something is in contact with the heat exchanger shell, not a good thing. Rubber would not be a smell created by any level of manufacturing.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Coatings & oils cause a lot of odor the first several times a new furnace is fired up. I read once about a dealer who fired up the furnace 3-4 times over a few days before owner pickup to prevent this one concern. Open the windows & run the furnace several times. I think you'll like the results next time you use it.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Dew
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Beaumont , Texas
Your responses have been most welcome and helpfully reassuring. We have RV'd about 20 years and last week traded from class A home to a Ford F150 and 2009 Flying Cloud. This web site and member's post have been extremely helpful throughout. We just ran the unit for a few hours and you all are right on, the smell is must less, thanks again. Hopefully we can return the effort of this group in future post.
Mark
Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #7
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
When I picked up my new trailer I spent two nights at the dealers living in it and checking it out. The first night I turned on the furnace and it had a funny smell and emitted enough smoke to set off the smoke dector. I couldn't see the smoke - but I could smell it - an oily/rubber smell. So I shut the furnace off, opened a window, piled on the coverlets and went to sleep. Next morning I talked to the tech guy about it - we disconnected the smoke detector, opened the windows and let the furnance run for about 3 or 4 hours. That solved the problem. (And we reconnected the smoke detector!). The second night I was warm and toasty and no smell and no activated smoke detector. Your mileage may vary .
Old 04-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Mark,

We ALWAYS burn the furnace off here at our dealership...it will have a very strong odor when you first turn it on...so much so, that it will normally set off the fire alarm...most dealers will do this prior to delivery.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace