Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
New drip pan

I met with my aluminum fabricator today. I had the Coleman/AirExcel 15K
unit for my '02 30' Classic with me. He will fabricate a drip pan for the A/C from 14 ga. It will be slightly larger than the A/C unit and about 3/4" deep. The cutout will be 14"X14" in the appropriate location. Then will be a "spacer" of 1" square tube welded to be waterproof. It will be about 17"X17" OD and centered over the 14" opening. Running through this spacer will be 2 tubes, one per side to hook the drain hoses to. It will be a setup similar to the "Van Pan" (of the same website name), but not draining on the roof. My question is what is the best way to fasten the whole assembly to the roof ? The Van Pan uses 2 of the regular A/C compressible gaskets - one between the pan and roof and another between A/C and pan. I think Vulkem to seal the spacer and pan together. There will be "dowels" in the pan to center the spacer at the pan opening. Then the regular A/C gaskets between roof and pan and also between spacer and A/C unit. In summary,(hoping to clarify my idea), it will be - roof - A/C gasket - pan w/ Vulkem to seal - spacer - A/C gasket - A/C unit. I think 4 the bolts will be long enough to reach and secure the whole unit. Any problems unforeseen to me ?
Dan

Old 09-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Apache Junction , Arizona
Did it work?

I was wondering did your design work? I have a coleman ac without a drip pan that is leaking between the walls and draining everywhere.

Pete

Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Pete
The aluminum pan I had fabricated was successful. It went on a little different than the original plan. After removal of the old unit, I ran two healthy beads of vulkem a couple inches apart around the opening in the trailer roof. The pan was next, centered over the 14" X 14" roof hole. A new foam A/C gasket was next with the AC unit on top of it, of course, centered over the roof opening. The long bolts provided with the new AC were installed to clamp all the pieces together To support the pan edges over the curvature of the roof, I used aluminum angle from Home Depot with thick foam on the bottom where it would contact the roof. The aluminum angle was long enough to span two ribs and fastened on the pan with self drilling hex head screws. Vulkem was used on these screws to prevent leakage. The 1" aluminum spacer with the 2 drain tubes welded in place was hooked to the original drain hose setup used with the DuoTherm via plastic barb fittings with stainless hose clamps. We are in the middle of corn harvest so it may be a while before I can provide pics of the finished unit. Feel free to PM me if necessary. We are very happy with the cooling ability of the new unit and dont miss the heat pump. The old unit was quite noisy and inadequate in temps over 85*.
Dan