Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
New Airstream Air conditioner not working

Not sure where to post this or if there is any help from forum. Just had to express my frustration at picking up new Airstream International Serenity and having one air conditioner not work. Had to take it back to Tampa from Sarasota to have it looked at. They say the air conditioner will have to be replaced. Going with the flow, but disappointing and put a wrinkle in are plans. Not looking for sympathy, but curious how often this occurs with others
minddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Buying an Airstream from a dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minddr View Post
Not sure where to post this or if there is any help from forum. Just had to express my frustration at picking up new Airstream International Serenity and having one air conditioner not work. Had to take it back to Tampa from Sarasota to have it looked at. They say the air conditioner will have to be replaced. Going with the flow, but disappointing and put a wrinkle in are plans. Not looking for sympathy, but curious how often this occurs with others
Basically when you buy new, it should NEVER happen. A really GOOD dealer will check in every new unit and test every system. A really GOOD dealer will do a complete walk-through with you, showing you how to use each system - and showing you that each one does work. THEN a really good dealer will also recommend strongly that you camp at or near the dealership for a couple of days for a shakedown test.

Of course it's probably hard to test the A/C if the weather is cold. And I never tested the furnace in mine because I bought it in 95 degree weather - and didn't find out that the control board was missing until months later. I rather think that it was stolen at a campground I frequent - but I'll never know for sure. So if you're going back to the dealer - GO FOR EVERYTHING. Make a list. Look at every cabinet latch, every rivet, every appliance, every storage bin and even everything UNDER the belly pan. My spare tire was stowed with the valve stem pointing UP. It's no fun to check the tire pressure in the spare, but if the valve stem isn't pointing down you're going to have to drop the spare to get to it.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
We had used our 4 month old trailer for about a dozen nights in all when our a/c - heat pump died. It was replaced under warranty.
wanderingduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Seems to be a recurring problem. I guess this would be one of the advantages of having a two ac unit. People lived with one forever. Good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Lots of other threads report the same.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:30 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The a/c issue seems to be a relatively recent development from all manufacturers, after a recent switch in refrigerant, and related support components. If you want to "blame" someone, you can blame the agency that mandated the changes.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The a/c issue seems to be a relatively recent development from all manufacturers, after a recent switch in refrigerant, and related support components. If you want to "blame" someone, you can blame the agency that mandated the changes.
Jackson Center is where the buck stops for us!

If they can't supply dependable air conditioners, then they should -- at a minimum -- tell us so, and then make it up to us with a very easy replacement process, and monetary liquidated damages for supplying a defective product.

Mobile service trucks which can replace the A/C on-site wherever we are?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:27 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I'm wondering how long my AC unit will last, after it has been replaced. It seems to be an on going problem with the 13.5 units on 2015s and 2016s. So why would the replacements be any better than the originals??

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
"Of course it's probably hard to test the A/C if the weather is cold. And I never tested the furnace in mine because I bought it in 95 degree weather - and didn't find out that the control board was missing until months later. I rather think that it was stolen at a campground I frequent - but I'll never know for sure. So if you're going back to the dealer - GO FOR EVERYTHING. Make a list. Look at every cabinet latch, every rivet, every appliance, every storage bin and even everything UNDER the belly pan. My spare tire was stowed with the valve stem pointing UP. It's no fun to check the tire pressure in the spare, but if the valve stem isn't pointing down you're going to have to drop the spare to get to it."

This would be a good idea for someone to do as a project: make a detailed checklist of everything an AS buyer should check on buying an Airstream. It would have the added advantage of familiarizing a new owner with the location and function of all the various things that can break or go wrong. All the little switches and valves and drains that should normally be off or on, and the consequences of their being in the wrong position. Of course, a dealer shakedown and new buyer orientation are a great help, but the shakedown doesn't help the buyer know about the things being shaken, and the orientation only is as good of the number of new things a buyer can retain in one meeting, which in my case is about two. I'm envisioning a much more detailed checklist than the ones we use when we hitch and unhitch the trailer. Perhaps this has already been done by someone on the forum?
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Reading the owners manual and all other booklets help, also.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
thinking back, mine failed AT the dealer the night before I bought it.

Of course it was Colonial, so I thought I'd be delayed in the sale, but no, they pulled a new unit into the shop and took IT's A/C off and installed it in MINE then waited for the manufacturer to replace the original.

Class act, eh?

But I have had more problems with this one than the 06 Safari, and they both have the same refrigerant. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about a mini-a/c unit for window use. Now I have the BIG Avion, which had jalosie windows - I might consider it, especially if I can drop the cord outside into a 20 amp plug and not have to worry about needing 50 amp service to run two A/C's

Paula
Old 05-31-2016, 12:25 PM   #12
Airstream Fan

2017 30' Classic
PARKVILLE , Missouri
We also had one of the two air conditioners inoperable on our freshly delivered 2016. It's being replaced right now at the dealership.
rheiniger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
i don't blame the dealer. I had that happen on mine. It worked fine while at the dealer. I stayed ovenight at the dealer and it worked fine. Two days later it stopped working. There is no way the dealer could have predicted that.

It happens. Don't let it frustrate you. It is part of RVing. Things break. Have a plan to fix it, fix it, and enjoy.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
It sure is frustrating on a new vehicle / trailer. But thank goodness for warranties
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #15
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Dometic has sewed up the market and therefore competition is non-existant. Capitalism with competition for quality and price does not flourish in this case and the manufactures have only one source of supply. If the component manufactures would bench test their products before delivery that would help. The same with refer cooling units. Anyone, who rebuilds them will tell you Dometic is really built with poorly designed components. and the story goes on.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:43 PM   #16
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Dometic AC lugs loose

Just thought I would post this for general knowledge. Pulled into Barstow,ca this afternoon at the shady Lane RV. Temp=100. Turned on the Dometic AC and it would run for 15 min and shutoff. At a 100deg.outside. I was motivated to do some troubleshooting! Measured AC amperage and it was climbing throughout 15 min period. Measured incoming voltage and 5% low. Tightened all AC lugs on my 2012 FC and AC ran like a charm. Shady Lane RV is an old RV camp and we were the farthest out from master panel so guess power drop due to old connections. Problem is limited options in Barstow!
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Buyer checklist

Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
"Of course it's probably hard to test the A/C if the weather is cold. And I never tested the furnace in mine because I bought it in 95 degree weather - and didn't find out that the control board was missing until months later. I rather think that it was stolen at a campground I frequent - but I'll never know for sure. So if you're going back to the dealer - GO FOR EVERYTHING. Make a list. Look at every cabinet latch, every rivet, every appliance, every storage bin and even everything UNDER the belly pan. My spare tire was stowed with the valve stem pointing UP. It's no fun to check the tire pressure in the spare, but if the valve stem isn't pointing down you're going to have to drop the spare to get to it."

This would be a good idea for someone to do as a project: make a detailed checklist of everything an AS buyer should check on buying an Airstream. It would have the added advantage of familiarizing a new owner with the location and function of all the various things that can break or go wrong. All the little switches and valves and drains that should normally be off or on, and the consequences of their being in the wrong position. Of course, a dealer shakedown and new buyer orientation are a great help, but the shakedown doesn't help the buyer know about the things being shaken, and the orientation only is as good of the number of new things a buyer can retain in one meeting, which in my case is about two. I'm envisioning a much more detailed checklist than the ones we use when we hitch and unhitch the trailer. Perhaps this has already been done by someone on the forum?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Jackson Center is where the buck stops for us!

If they can't supply dependable air conditioners, then they should -- at a minimum -- tell us so, and then make it up to us with a very easy replacement process, and monetary liquidated damages for supplying a defective product.

Mobile service trucks which can replace the A/C on-site wherever we are?

Okay, I guess I have to spell this out in extremely plain English, so there can be absolutely NO misunderstanding, since you seem to have misunderstood:
There are absolutely NO air conditioners that will "last" anymore. Period. From any RV air conditioner manufacturer. ALL are crap. Some are slightly less crappy than others, but all will fail, or not even function, either right out of the box, up to within a few years' use.
Thank your government for environmental regulations that have required this, and the refrigerant manufacturers that have conveniently noticed the older stuff is bad for the environment, right about the time their patents are due to expire.
I have a brand-new Penguin heat pump sitting in my garage, while I patch and baby the 1992 model currently on my trailer, hoping I can get another season out of it before I start the clock on the replacement.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
The 64 trade wind I had in 04 was ALL orig. Everything worked perfectly! the most impressive was the A/C! These days you cant buy ANYTHING for good money with any lasting power.
alantbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Air problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheiniger View Post
We also had one of the two air conditioners inoperable on our freshly delivered 2016. It's being replaced right now at the dealership.
Guess I'm not alone