Old 05-31-2016, 05:20 PM   #15
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Dometic has sewed up the market and therefore competition is non-existant. Capitalism with competition for quality and price does not flourish in this case and the manufactures have only one source of supply. If the component manufactures would bench test their products before delivery that would help. The same with refer cooling units. Anyone, who rebuilds them will tell you Dometic is really built with poorly designed components. and the story goes on.
guskmg

Old 05-31-2016, 06:43 PM   #16
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
Dometic AC lugs loose

Just thought I would post this for general knowledge. Pulled into Barstow,ca this afternoon at the shady Lane RV. Temp=100. Turned on the Dometic AC and it would run for 15 min and shutoff. At a 100deg.outside. I was motivated to do some troubleshooting! Measured AC amperage and it was climbing throughout 15 min period. Measured incoming voltage and 5% low. Tightened all AC lugs on my 2012 FC and AC ran like a charm. Shady Lane RV is an old RV camp and we were the farthest out from master panel so guess power drop due to old connections. Problem is limited options in Barstow!

Old 06-01-2016, 12:25 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Buyer checklist

Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
"Of course it's probably hard to test the A/C if the weather is cold. And I never tested the furnace in mine because I bought it in 95 degree weather - and didn't find out that the control board was missing until months later. I rather think that it was stolen at a campground I frequent - but I'll never know for sure. So if you're going back to the dealer - GO FOR EVERYTHING. Make a list. Look at every cabinet latch, every rivet, every appliance, every storage bin and even everything UNDER the belly pan. My spare tire was stowed with the valve stem pointing UP. It's no fun to check the tire pressure in the spare, but if the valve stem isn't pointing down you're going to have to drop the spare to get to it."

This would be a good idea for someone to do as a project: make a detailed checklist of everything an AS buyer should check on buying an Airstream. It would have the added advantage of familiarizing a new owner with the location and function of all the various things that can break or go wrong. All the little switches and valves and drains that should normally be off or on, and the consequences of their being in the wrong position. Of course, a dealer shakedown and new buyer orientation are a great help, but the shakedown doesn't help the buyer know about the things being shaken, and the orientation only is as good of the number of new things a buyer can retain in one meeting, which in my case is about two. I'm envisioning a much more detailed checklist than the ones we use when we hitch and unhitch the trailer. Perhaps this has already been done by someone on the forum?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 AM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Jackson Center is where the buck stops for us!

If they can't supply dependable air conditioners, then they should -- at a minimum -- tell us so, and then make it up to us with a very easy replacement process, and monetary liquidated damages for supplying a defective product.

Mobile service trucks which can replace the A/C on-site wherever we are?

Okay, I guess I have to spell this out in extremely plain English, so there can be absolutely NO misunderstanding, since you seem to have misunderstood:
There are absolutely NO air conditioners that will "last" anymore. Period. From any RV air conditioner manufacturer. ALL are crap. Some are slightly less crappy than others, but all will fail, or not even function, either right out of the box, up to within a few years' use.
Thank your government for environmental regulations that have required this, and the refrigerant manufacturers that have conveniently noticed the older stuff is bad for the environment, right about the time their patents are due to expire.
I have a brand-new Penguin heat pump sitting in my garage, while I patch and baby the 1992 model currently on my trailer, hoping I can get another season out of it before I start the clock on the replacement.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
belen , New Mexico
The 64 trade wind I had in 04 was ALL orig. Everything worked perfectly! the most impressive was the A/C! These days you cant buy ANYTHING for good money with any lasting power.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Air problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheiniger View Post
We also had one of the two air conditioners inoperable on our freshly delivered 2016. It's being replaced right now at the dealership.
Guess I'm not alone
Old 06-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Seems that way!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Sarasota , Florida
Seems like you have a valid point
Old 06-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #23
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Although i am in the same boat, remember that a forum tends to attract folks with problems. For every one of us who has an issue, there are probably hundreds of folks with no issues that have no cause to come here seeking help.

I know, it doesn't help. I have to go make my appointment to have mine replaced...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:08 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Deland , Florida
These new ac units are junk. My father had to replace 2 within months of each other on a new camper. The service guy says he's replacing new units every day. same problem happened to my neighbor. 2 units replaced within a couple months.
I don't understand how dometic can keep this up.
I'd be willing to pay extra for an ac made in the the USA that would last. I think there would be a market for that.
I say a little prayer before I turn on my ac when I get to the campground.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #25
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
New Airstream Air conditioner not working

Wrong thread.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I will be willing to bet its one or more new components within the AC units which are causing the problems. These components by and large come from China and the Chinese cheat, and do so all the time. I experienced this first hand in our manufacturing facility and it took us a while to figure out what was happening and why. When we did we had no choice but to continue with the supplier as no US company could fulfill what we needed. Bet Dometic is in the same boat. Its not only RV products its throughout many products, the components are junk. And to answer printman what one does as a CEO is increase warranty expense budget knowing that X number of people will not claim warranty repair, but will fix or replace on their own, hard to believe I know but it happens and then another X number will not fail and live with the issue until one can get the Chinese to bring the components back into spec. They push the specs all the time or manufacture outside the specs provided by the assembler which is all dometic is now.

Bud

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote