Old 05-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
New AC Help

Hello Again,

I am going to replace my roof AC unit and need to ask your advise. I have been looking alot and need to find out what size AC unit I should get for my 72 Ambassador 29.. the 13.5K unit or the 15K unit?? or will I even notice the difference. Any one have any thoughts?? I also need to change my roof vents so I am going to do them at the same time if anyone has any sugestions as to which ones to buy..

Thanks

Old 05-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Here's what I have and what I like:

Carrier AC, get the bigger size, and they install real nice and easy.
Fantastic Vents, they are really cool and don't look like the bishop is trying to escape out your vent. I have yet to figure out why anyone needs a rain sensor, so pass on that. The storm that will drive rain in a slightly open vent is a mighty storm.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by higgy116
Hello Again,

I am going to replace my roof AC unit and need to ask your advise. I have been looking alot and need to find out what size AC unit I should get for my 72 Ambassador 29.. the 13.5K unit or the 15K unit?? or will I even notice the difference. Any one have any thoughts?? I also need to change my roof vents so I am going to do them at the same time if anyone has any sugestions as to which ones to buy..

Thanks
Since you are based in Fla., my recommendaton would be to go with the 15K unit. I had issues regarding capacity on my 27' Safari with the 13.5K unit in temperatures of 100 degrees here in Missouri. I made sure when I bought the 30' Classic to opt for the 15K unit. It will give you that little extra you need, when you get into temperature extremes.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I really doubt if 1500 BTU's will make a difference. I would buy based on cost and style. Get what looks good, has the features (heat strip) and fits your budget.

I had the AC (Armstrong) replaced in my '74 Trade Wind with a Coleman Mach?. When I went to pick it up everything looked great on the outside and it was purring away. When I went inside, the plastic cover with the louvers was not installed because the top bar for the sliding curtain was directly underneath the AC unit. I guess the old cover was able to slide out from under, but the new one was enclosed on all sides and needed to be installed directly underneath. The RV dealer with a gazillion years of A/S experience told me to cut the bar out and put the cover on. The curtain was necessary for some privacy, so that wasn't an option. I modified the cover so I could slide it front to back between the bar and the ceiling. Bottom line, why did they ever install the thing knowing it would have to be jury rigged? I paid $$$ for a professional install with amature results; that I could have done myself! Make sure the replacement unit will fit properly and allow for regular maintenance (clean filters).
Old 05-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Edgewater , Florida
Can anyone tell me who sells carrier?? and any good or bad reports on Duo-Therm or Colman?? How much concern should I have about low profile??
Old 05-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
We have a Coleman 13.500 BTU air conditioner on our Overlander. It barely keeps the temp manageable in the daytime in the summer.
We had a 15,000 BTU Duo-Therm in our Argosy. It worked well, but I had installation issues with Camping World. The Carrier seems to be a lower amp draw unit, and I have heard many good things about them. I will most likely go with Carrier with our new A/C unit. 15,000 BTU's is a must here, and getting one with a heat strip means I won't have to fix our furnace.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Actually my experience is that the heat strip is a complete waste of money. It does not heat up anything. I do not know about the heat pump option. As for Carriers, look in this thread for the good place to buy them. We did and don't regret it a bit. And, I have never had my trailer in hot climes, but if jcanavera says 13500 is underpowered, I'd believe him.

Visit my Camping Blog!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Duo-Therm

I have Duo-Therms in both the trailer as well as my MH. The MH has 15,000 units on it with the heat PUMP option and I absolutely love them. They are fairly quiet, and use a wall mounted thermostat. I have owned the Coleman, and the one I had was one with a continuously running fan. I put in a relay so the fan ran only when the heat strip or compressor was running. My Penguin Duo-Therm is that way in the trailer right now, but only until it can be modified.It is a 13,500, and seems to take care of my 29' ok. I have nothad it in 100 degree weather.
Did you by chance see the classified from the gentleman who has two Duo-Therms for sale up in TN? Looks like a good price.
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Actually my experience is that the heat strip is a complete waste of money. It does not heat up anything.
I don't agree. It may not do much when it is 10 degrees, but down here, 40 is cold, and the heat strip works well in that situation.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' Limited
Dallas , Texas
Carrier Low Profile

I recently installed a Carrier 15K btu low profile in my 34' Limited. I did the installation myself and it was very easy. The unit looks and runs great. The only complaint I have is the ceiling panel is flat and the ceiling is curved. Accordingly, there is a gap between the ceiling mid point and the top of the A/C ceiling panel. I am investigating solutions for this now.

I hate to be hot, so I went with the 15K btu without hesitation. At 34', however, I am concerned I may end up wanting to add another one in the bedroom for those REALLY HOT Texas days (and nights). I think I would have to upgrade to 50 amp service to run them at the same time.

Panabax
Old 05-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
I will concede that I have wondered if I didn't hook it up wrong when I installed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I don't agree. It may not do much when it is 10 degrees, but down here, 40 is cold, and the heat strip works well in that situation.

Visit my Camping Blog!
Old 05-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #12
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Get the duo-therm and get the drain pan from any AS dealer.

You really need the drain pan to keep the water from pouring down your trailer....

http://www.ldservice.com/tim/airstre...er_trouble.htm
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
2000 39' Land Yacht XL Diesel w/slide
Crossville , Tennessee
Can be done

Panabox,
You can run two A/C's on 30 amps, but only with very careful elecricity management. You would have to make a list of every electrical peice in your trailer, and their specific electrical use. Then, just make sure that the use of them at the same time never exceeds 30 amps. Start up pull usually will not trip a breaker if: the breaker is in good condition, and the momentary pull doesn't exceed around 35 amps for more than a few seconds.
50 amp service can be installed into your unit, however, it would require a lot of work. Unless your unit had the wire pulled already for the rear A/C, that would be a chore in itself. A new electrical panel would be required as 50 amp service is actually two 110 services of 50 amps, so in reality you will be going from 30 amps to 100! Confused?
Oh, by the way, a good air movement fan might be what you would need, maybe one of those 'in the corner' door fans?http://http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?pcode=78&cm%5Fmmc=Tagged%2D%5F%2DNA%2D %5F%2DNA%2D%5F%2DNA
WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:36 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' Limited
Dallas , Texas
Carrier drip pan

Tim:

The low profile Carrier unit actually has an internal drip pan. That is one of the things that made the install so easy, no external drip pan, but I was still able to hook up and use the factory drain line.

Panabax