Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
adonh's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,233
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 6
New ac

Back to a project I put off for awhile but as summer approaches again thought I would get back to it. My 1976 31' Sovereign currently has a Carrier 15,000 BTU AC unit. Works OK but noisy. I had thought about the Coleman Mach 8 low profile when they came out but now it seems they have debveloped a problem with noise from the outside fan blade. Although new replacement blades have been made available it seems that there is still some question on how they preform and if the new off the shelve units have the new fan blades.

I also remember a a couple of years ago that Dometic was having some issues with the Dometic Penguin II 15,000 BTU units from npoice and or isues with switching to the new coolant.

Anyway any thoughts on either or both of these 2 units as they are today would be helpful.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Belegedhel's Avatar
 
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,202
I have the low profile Dometic in a 13k model, has been working fine for over a year now, no unusual noise issues to speak of.

good luck!
__________________

__________________
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
sandlapper's Avatar
 
1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,430
Images: 7
I have a friend who is a HVAC tech, and also a fellow trailer owner. His comment on the low profile units and the excessive outside noise was that the low profile required a high velocity fan to do the job. Hard on the neighbors, or anyone sitting outside trying to enjoy a semi quiet afternoon. So, higher velocity= more noise.

As for the cooling properties, they work just fine. John
__________________
John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
terrencecolp's Avatar
 
1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 96
Images: 1
I need to replace my a/c too. What do you do about the roof curvature?
__________________
terrencecolp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrencecolp View Post
I need to replace my a/c too. What do you do about the roof curvature?
For Airstream use, I typically double up on the 14 X 14 gasket on the under side of the A/C unit. This will give you more height at the outer edges that will allow for proper sealing of the gasket. If you are using a Dometic unit, this is readily accomplished by installing their Auxiliary drain kit that allow you to route the condensate thru the internal drain line in the walls of the trailer.

The kit also contains catch cups, required tubing and the additional sealing gasket that you will need to complete the job.

If you are using an RVP unit like the Mach 8, You will have to order it WITH their condensate pump, but you will still need a second gasket underneath the unit. remember, these gaskets are best when compressed to 50% of their original thickness.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
adonh's Avatar

 
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,233
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
For Airstream use, I typically double up on the 14 X 14 gasket on the under side of the A/C unit. This will give you more height at the outer edges that will allow for proper sealing of the gasket. If you are using a Dometic unit, this is readily accomplished by installing their Auxiliary drain kit that allow you to route the condensate thru the internal drain line in the walls of the trailer.

The kit also contains catch cups, required tubing and the additional sealing gasket that you will need to complete the job.

If you are using an RVP unit like the Mach 8, You will have to order it WITH their condensate pump, but you will still need a second gasket underneath the unit. remember, these gaskets are best when compressed to 50% of their original thickness.
Lew is the extra gasket for the roof on top or ceiling inside. I remember when I installed the carrier on my 1976 Sovereign the one gasket was fine on top compressed to 50% but the inside curvature of the ceiling making it impossible to attache the inside AC panel on the ceiling. I ended up making a flat sided spacer that fit the curved ceiling and then had the flat side for the panel to attach.

The new Dometic inside panels look to be much smaller and not as wide as the the o0ld Carrier so it might fit better on the ceiling.

Where is the best deal online for a Dometic Penguin II these days.

Thanks

Don
__________________
Don Hardman
1976 31' Sovereign
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Belegedhel's Avatar
 
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,202
When I installed my penguin, I used the condensate drip pan that AS sells. This has the roof curvature built into it, and once the AC was seated in the pan, I couldn't really see what the gasket was doing, but evidently it sealed well enough as I have had no leakage. If you go with the newer fashion condensate "cups," you will need to stack two foam gaskets up so that you have enough gasket height to run the condensate tube through. The ceiling unit of my dometic fits nicely against the ceiling of the AS, without any obvious gaps.

Seems like when I was looking for my AC, PPL had pretty good prices online on the Dometics.

good luck!
__________________
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
Lew is the extra gasket for the roof on top or ceiling inside. I remember when I installed the carrier on my 1976 Sovereign the one gasket was fine on top compressed to 50% but the inside curvature of the ceiling making it impossible to attache the inside AC panel on the ceiling. I ended up making a flat sided spacer that fit the curved ceiling and then had the flat side for the panel to attach.

The new Dometic inside panels look to be much smaller and not as wide as the the o0ld Carrier so it might fit better on the ceiling.

Where is the best deal online for a Dometic Penguin II these days.

Thanks

Don
Don,

I place the additional gasket under the attached gasket on a new unit, so it effectively doubles the thickness of the seal between the unit base pan and the roof. Two are also required for the use of the Dometic drip cup system.

If you have an electronic thermostat on your Carrier (as many had the wireless unit), you can purchase a conversion kit from Dometic that allows for the use of your Carrier air distribution box (ADB) and wireless thermostat.

If you have the manual Carrier controls, then you must replace them with the manual ADB from Dometic that is compatible with your new upper unit.

The Penguins are a bit wider and shorter than the Carrier AirV units, but the ceiling opening is still the same 14" X 14" standard as for all A/C units. All of the gaskets are also the same size, regardless of the unit manufacturer.
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
31 ft Airstream; NEW frig, NEW hot water tank, 2 NEW propane tanks, in good cond eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 07-05-2013 08:00 AM
New trailer, new video, new friends mandolindave Photography 5 07-17-2012 11:57 AM
New member, New Airstream, New life. TikiDaddy Member Introductions 10 07-17-2012 11:07 AM
a new forum and new hitch and new market approach... 2airishuman Hitches, Couplers & Balls 93 04-29-2008 06:50 AM
New New New Deadhead58 Member Introductions 10 04-16-2007 04:26 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.