Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
New A/C Stopped Working Middle of the Night

2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 Twin-- A/C went out two nights ago in the middle of the night. Have had the unit for 3 months. Just so happens we are going the Hangout Music Festival in 1.5 days with our AirStream. As you know, this is Murphy's Law. Looking for advise. Here are the facts: Fan on A/C works fine; cold went out in the middle of the night; when unit goes on, I don't here the condenser try to go on but I also don't know what that sounds like any way; the RV is in my driveway with a 50 ft. heavy Duty 30 amp extension cord; unit is level; never had an issue before; the thermostat was locked where none of the button's worked earlier so I unhooked electric and hook it back it to fix it; the breakers have been flipped on and off.

Any input would be appreciated.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Call your dealer and ask for the service department...that may be the fastest way to do some troubleshooting.

Had ours on speed dial the first few months.

Maggie
Old 05-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Call dealer as Maggie said. Also check your Dometic manual (that came with your AS paperwork and owner's manual), and perform the thermostat hard reboot procedure described there. Make sure the time is set correctly on the stat -- yeah sounds crazy but folks here say it can help!

Sounds like the stat reset itself after you disconnected the shore power and hooked it back up again -- that is a good sign.

Did you have any lightening or electrical storms during the night?

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Here are some other threads which may help, found by searching in the blue box above for "Dometic stat hard reboot" --

https://www.google.com/search?q=dome...=airforums.com

PS2 -- Are you sure your 50' extension cord is an adequate wire gauge size? What is the AWG stamp on the cord? #10 would be the minimum for 30 amps IMO, and #8 would probably be better for A/C start-up amps probably.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
New A/C Stopped Working Middle of the Night

Mine has done the same thing, ice buildup. Once is sits off for awhile it cranks back up. Flipping to Fan only defrosts it pretty quick. If I force the fan to High, it doesn't do it.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
I have the same AS and my entire unit went belly up after owning for only 3 months. Dealer did all the trouble shooting and ordered me a new AC unit. The parts department mentioned there was a run of bad units from dometic.
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
. . .
Any input would be appreciated.
Wondering if you called your dealer, and got feedback similar to OSCS's recent post about a bad batch of Dometic A/C units in similar Airstreams?
Old 05-17-2017, 04:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You can also contact Dometic directly and they will OR should send out a tech to diagnose and fix or replace. For the units made by another mfg one does not have to use an AS dealer.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
Our AC unit also failed during the night on our first trip. Fan runs but no cold or warm air. Sounds like the compressor is trying to start. I'm going to test the capacitor this weekend and then contact Dometic directly.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I just had a Dometic 15k unit installed on my 2008 Classic 25fb last December. I've only used it a few times. I just got and extended warranty offer from Domestic. Sounds like I should purchase it to extend the warranty past 2 years.

Kelvin
Old 05-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I called dealer who told me the first appointment he had was in mid-June. No suggestions for trouble shooting. The salesmen told me to contact coachnet. Coachnet called telling me the called two dealers Foley and Dixie. Foley is my dealer and told him what they told me, mid-june. Dixie RV, the worst RV organization in the country did not respond to Coachnet. My dealer gave me five local numbers of folks that work on this type of A/C systems locally.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update. Did you try the Dometic hard reboot suggested in Post #3? PS -- And the correct time setting on the stat.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Call dealer as Maggie said. Also check your Dometic manual (that came with your AS paperwork and owner's manual), and perform the thermostat hard reboot procedure described there. Make sure the time is set correctly on the stat -- yeah sounds crazy but folks here say it can help!

Sounds like the stat reset itself after you disconnected the shore power and hooked it back up again -- that is a good sign.

Did you have any lightening or electrical storms during the night?

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Here are some other threads which may help, found by searching in the blue box above for "Dometic stat hard reboot" --

https://www.google.com/search?q=dome...=airforums.com

PS2 -- Are you sure your 50' extension cord is an adequate wire gauge size? What is the AWG stamp on the cord? #10 would be the minimum for 30 amps IMO, and #8 would probably be better for A/C start-up amps probably.
No thunder storms, I will reset time as you suggested. After calling dealer, I reviewed both manuals given at time of sale for Trouble Shooting and internet. I just reset the thermostat as you recommended after the unit was off all night. I actually think I heard the compressor go on.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Mine has done the same thing, ice buildup. Once is sits off for awhile it cranks back up. Flipping to Fan only defrosts it pretty quick. If I force the fan to High, it doesn't do it.
I did turn off the unit for a while thinking the same thing. Your suggestion of put the fan on low to defrost it is new to me and I will do it in the future. Thank you.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCS View Post
I have the same AS and my entire unit went belly up after owning for only 3 months. Dealer did all the trouble shooting and ordered me a new AC unit. The parts department mentioned there was a run of bad units from dometic.
The concept of a bad batch of A/C units is a little scary. So hard for me to understand how big companies whether Ford, GM, Toyota or an RV AC company could have such bad quality control to allow this to happen. But it is indeed reality many times. I have a tech whom I offered a bonus to come and look at the unit today. I will bet dollars to donuts I need a new A/C unit as you indicated. We will see. Thank you for your comment.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Louisville , Kentucky
Just had my primary unit replaced at the mothership 2017 26a. They said the freon leaked out. Hence the compressor kicking in but no coolness.
timdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I just had a Dometic 15k unit installed on my 2008 Classic 25fb last December. I've only used it a few times. I just got and extended warranty offer from Domestic. Sounds like I should purchase it to extend the warranty past 2 years.

Kelvin
I got the same solicitation and bought it immediately two months ago. It still does not help the responsiveness of the repair facilities or dealers. My thoughts were better safe then sorry.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Just wondering if you checked the voltage coming into AS. Do you have any other high current draws going at same time, i.e. Elec hot water heater? Reset is a good idea.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 20' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
We took delivery of our 2017 25'fb in March. The a/c went out on the first trip. It worked fine when we took delivery. The dealer replaced the a/c. they said that they had replaced 4 that month on new Airstream's.
AIRTRVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Any RV dealer can fix it. Did you look for others in the area? Sounds like a loss of freon.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Resolution of A/C Issue

Tech confirmed no freon, defective unit and call Dometic Warrentee. New unit beeng sent today, hopefully in next week. Bought a 10000 btu portable unit for the next four days at the beach. Thank you all for your help.