Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Take a look at 'AC crunched' thread...

Hi Dale,

Just reading through the many posts and if you take a look at this thread - AC crunched, started by loudruff, you will see a few web sites to visit for your A/C shroud.

Good Luck!
Chris

Old 01-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Here's one of Inland's fiberglass shrouds, ready to be installed....

I didn't use the original beltline trim, mostly because it looks like hammered dookie. This is Chinese peel and stick automotive trim, which I expect to remain attached for several more minutes; I'll probably end up attaching it permanently with polished stainless screws.

It's extremely imporant to duplicate the condenser air anti-recycle baffles, for which I used aluminum sheet, cut to size and epoxied/riveted in.

The two halves are riveted and epoxied together. It's not all that big a deal, because the top half does hold the bottom half down.

I didn't use the original screens for two reasons: First, they looked even worse than the belt trim, and second, those screens are pretty restrictive to airflow. The grilles are epoxied into the shell.

I do win the prize for "Most Creative Use of a Refrigerator Shelf!"

The paint is boat topside paint. I was looking for something with at least a little gloss, that would go over fiberglass, and that would hold up outside in Arizona. The stuff is a real biscuit to work with; an HVLP spray gun ended up working the best.

The upside is that it will obviously last a heck of a lot long then the original; the downside is that it's several pounds heavier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160110_184159[1].jpg
Views:	74
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	255701   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160110_184240[1].jpg
Views:	71
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	255702  

Name:	20160114_120137[1].jpg
Views:	80
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	255703  

Old 01-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
And the denouement....

I also found a crack in the compressor suction line, so I had to cut that out and replace it, so I ended up pumping it down and recharging it. Then of course, the Schraeder valve decided to leak. Sigh.

But it does look good! Or at least better....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160116_143306.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	255837  
Old 01-22-2016, 07:40 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Great repair job! I think it's usually better to fix than replace because older stuff frequently has more materials in it's construction and a lot of times it can take less time to fix than replace with something that doesn't fit quite the same. I'd bet that the solder you used will hold fine. Something interesting is that Armstrong changed the path of the condenser air flow. On my 1973 unit the air comes in the rear grill and blows out the top. Unfortunately this lets pine needles and leaves collect inside the unit and is a pain to clean out as well as interfering with using a tarp or shade cloth over the top of the trailer. It's nice to see that they corrected this shortcoming on the later models. Leland
Old 01-31-2016, 04:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
I didn't use the original beltline trim, mostly because it looks like hammered dookie. This is Chinese peel and stick automotive trim, which I expect to remain attached for several more minutes; I'll probably end up attaching it permanently with polished stainless screws.

It's extremely imporant to duplicate the condenser air anti-recycle baffles, for which I used aluminum sheet, cut to size and epoxied/riveted in.

The two halves are riveted and epoxied together. It's not all that big a deal, because the top half does hold the bottom half down.

I didn't use the original screens for two reasons: First, they looked even worse than the belt trim, and second, those screens are pretty restrictive to airflow. The grilles are epoxied into the shell.

I do win the prize for "Most Creative Use of a Refrigerator Shelf!"

The paint is boat topside paint. I was looking for something with at least a little gloss, that would go over fiberglass, and that would hold up outside in Arizona. The stuff is a real biscuit to work with; an HVLP spray gun ended up working the best.

The upside is that it will obviously last a heck of a lot long then the original; the downside is that it's several pounds heavier.
It's heavier, because it's also thicker.

But, like many things, such as older folks, we get heavier in time too.

The screening is not necessary, as it's only purpose basically was to keep birds out from making a nest within the shroud. Maybe a little cosmetic too.

Andy