Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
New A/C

This week my son and I replaced the inadequate 15K Duotherm w/ heatpump on our '02 30' Classic S/O. It would not cool even the front living area w/ the bath and BR doors closed. The replacement is the Coleman Mach 15K unit. What a difference !!!! This unit will blow air back to the BR and cool the trailer to 70* if you want, even though it may be 90* plus outside. The problem now is the condensate drain. The old drain pan didn't fit the new unit. Water is now running down the trailer side - until I can figure some other method. What have others done to solve this? In August when we can get the trailer to my shop, I will be able to rig up something. It seems that others have solved this, but I can't find the right thread. Thanks in advance!!!
My replies to this thread may be delayed somewhat because we have been forced from our home by the MO river flood. (No water in the house but it is surrounded. We have limited access to the house via the county roads which have a foot of water in someplaces) The park we are in has no internet. I go to town and use the laptop at my brothers' office occasionally. Thanks again.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
2006 25' International CCD
Marietta , Georgia
Dan, this seems to be a common problem when changing a/c brands. They only make drain pans for Dometic units. Maybe you can modify your old drain pan to fit. Airstreamis the only travel trailer to drain the condensate. Water running down the outside is a mess.

Was your old unit performing as it was designed? Did you check to see if it was fully charged? I have a 34ft with a slide and 2 a/c's. Mine is an 04 and the units are noiser than the ones in my old 2001 Airstream. I am having trouble with my rear unit and want to replace it, but not with a new noiser unit. Do you still have your old unit and would you want to sell it, provided there wasn't anything wrong other than being under powered for the job.

I know the floods are a real concern for you. We see some of it on the news.
benwilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Hi, Ben We disposed of the old unit. We had a friend of my sons' charge the unit last summer - so we knew the AC was performing as well as it was going to. It was much noisier than the Coleman / Airexcell replacement. The drainpan was broken during removal, but maybe a new one could be modified to fit. When we are able to go back home to live instead of just visit I'm sure I can fix or make something to work as a drain into the original hoses. I tallied up our lost acres of corn and soybeans and it came to over 2,000 !!! Thanks for your reply and concern on flooding.
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
2006 25' International CCD
Marietta , Georgia
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Flooding and now the heat.

I know it is hard to keep a positive outlook, but better days will come again.

Keep "streaming"

Ben
benwilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Farmer Dan, you are actually comparing a heat pump to an air conditioner, which are slightly different units. That's why you see such a difference. Air conditioners usually put out a larger temperature difference, but they are for cooling only. The heat pump has a lower temperature difference, but they both heat and cool; plus they are more efficient.

Since you now have an air-only unit, you may need to purchase a heating element if you use your Airstream in the winter, as it will no longer provide any heat in cold weather.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote