Old 08-19-2007, 02:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Mike, my apologies if you are aware of the fact that catalytic heaters deplete the oxygen in the trailer. Then, when the oxygen is depleted, the combustion products will include carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless killer. Long term memebers of this forum may recall that I once walked into a room on Christmas Eve and found a mother and daughter dead in their chairs, watching TV. The furnace flue was leaking.
If you type "catalytic monoxide" into the search box above you will get 14 threads to study.
I would recommend adequate ventilation and a good carbon monoxide detector. I would also never allow anyone to sleep while a catalytic heater was running.
Perhaps I am, understandably, a little paranoid about carbon monoxide.
Nick.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Battle Mountain , Nevada
Send a message via Yahoo to mikeandbecky
Thanks Nick. I am aware of the dangers. My intention is to replace the old furnace and that will likely occur within the next few monts. Pehaps after X-mas.Until then the only real use I'll be getting out of her will be a late October hunting trip to Montana. And then, I will be relying on an electric powered space heater, with intermittent use of the catalytic heater during the hours Im awake, if at all. As a law enforcement officer, Ive seen instances when carbon monoxide has killed, both by accident, and other situations. Its certainly nothing to take lightly! But I think Cat heaters do serve a purpose, and they are a great back up, if you are careful.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandbecky
As a law enforcement officer.....
Mike, same here, but now happily retired.
Nick.