Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
san Antonio , Texas
Need another AC...

We have the original AC in our 31' Land Yacht. It still runs great too!! However we are headed to Arizona for a month and know we are gonna need another AC for our trailer. We have two dogs that will be in there while we are at work and we are concerned it will be too warm for them.
We don't want to replace the one we have, just add one in the back bedroom.
I've been doing a lot of research on the forums but I'm still confused as to what I should get. We already have a loud AC so noise doesn't matter (helps drown out road noise too) but we want a Low Profile. We could install a drain line or add a pan. But what would be more cost efficient? And easier?
So what should we get? And where from?
I will need it no later than a week...
Thanks so much!
Kiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Sorry to burst your bubble about timing, but this is not like hanging a window unit and plugging it in. You are not likely to get this done in a week nor will it be inexpensive.

The first thing you need to understand is that a two AC Airstream needs 50 AMP electrical service. Unless your trailer used to have a second AC, it only has a 30 AMP service. So you will need to upgrade your electrical service to 50 AMPS. Look around the Forum with the search tool and you will find some DIY hacks that people have done to their electrical systems to provide the necessary amount of power for a second AC without actually upgrading to a 50 AMP service. I am not sufficiently schooled in electrical engineering to know if those setups are really safe or meet code.

Once you have adequate power to the trailer, adding a second AC unit to the roof is actually the (relatively) easy part.

One thing you can do quickly is to cover the windows with water heater insulation. That stuff looks like thin bubble wrap with aluminum foil on both sides. You would be amazed at how much heat you can keep out if you put that stuff in your skylights, in between the windows and screens and on the inside of the panorama windows. It obviously makes for a very dark trailer, but the dogs might not mind.

One important thing to keep in mind whether you have one AC unit or two, you need to have someone keep an eye on the trailer to let you know if the power goes out and you lose the AC while you are gone. This happens more often that you might realize in commercial campgrounds and it would be a tragedy if this happened and no one knew to rescue your dogs!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
san Antonio , Texas
Great idea about the bubble wrap insulation! I didn't think about that!

I did know about the 50 AMP service and have an electrician that will be doing the work, so it will be done fairly quick. We were gonna try and do the AC ourselves though.

I just wanted to find out which brands were ideal and where most people bought them. I pulled up old posts and some of the models everyone was mentioning have long since been replaced, etc.

Thanks!
Kiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Glad you are on top of the 50 AMP issue. It's a tricky one to do right.

This is the model of AC that Airstream uses on their contemporary trailers (I'm not recommended this seller, their web site came up in the Google search I did.)

This is the unit we have (2 actually.) It's fine, certainly not quiet but it gets the job done. I've been told anecdotally by others that Coleman AC's are quieter than the Dometic. Good luck!

Dometic 13,500 BTU Penguin Roof Air Conditioner 640315
Old 03-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I did the 50 amp upgrade.. added AC2 as well... on our 34'. gonna love it love it love it...

Got creative with the routing of the wire/drain hose... I'd be glad to share the details.. PM if interested.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #6
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Actually, you don't HAVE to go to 50 amp service. I had a 2d A/C installed in my '12 28' Intl CCD at Jackson Center. They wired it to a new panel in the rear wardrobe, right outside they installed a 30 amp connector. If I wanted to use both A/C's, I hooked up to a 50 amp pedestal, used a 50 amp connector with two 30 amp pigtails...then ran the two 30 amp cords to the trailer....1 to the regular input, one to the "new" A/C only 30 amp input. Worked just fine. Now I have a 50 amp trailer with the 50 lb cord. Ugh.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Actually, you don't HAVE to go to 50 amp service. I had a 2d A/C installed in my '12 28' Intl CCD at Jackson Center. They wired it to a new panel in the rear wardrobe, right outside they installed a 30 amp connector. If I wanted to use both A/C's, I hooked up to a 50 amp pedestal, used a 50 amp connector with two 30 amp pigtails...then ran the two 30 amp cords to the trailer....1 to the regular input, one to the "new" A/C only 30 amp input. Worked just fine. Now I have a 50 amp trailer with the 50 lb cord. Ugh.
I have the same set-up and it works fine.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote