Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Need advice on original Armstrong Air Conditioner

Hi everyone! I need some advice / input on our original Armstrong air conditioning unit on our 1968 Sovereign.

I finally got a 30 amp outlet installed on the exterior of our garage so that I could plug our Airstream's supply cord into it. Tested our air conditioner today and got ONLY luke-warm air coming out (86 degrees outside)- but could not get it to cool the air beyond that (on for 45 minutes). Also, had to hand -spin the fan blades to start them spinning- but they continued fine on their own for the next 45 minutes.

Based on all I have read in these Forums, this Armstrong seems to be a workhorse if I can get it to cool again. It last cooled about 4 years ago when we originally bought this trailer. My first instinct is to keep it and get it worked on. The issue is that I cannot find anyone local that wants to even come and take a look at it.

I do not have the knowledge and ability to work on this. I am reaching out to the community to find out if anyone may know of someone "local" - (within a couple of hundred miles) - that has the knowledge and ability to check this out and fix it. The plate on the interior side of the air conditioner says:
Armstrong Furnace Company
Columbus, Ohio
Part No: 25516-1
Series: C
Bottom of the plate has the numbers on it of: 230-100A

I live just NE of Hudson, Wisconsin - just about 20 minutes NE of St. Paul, MN. Does anyone know of a company or a person in this area that has the knowledge, ability, and desire to take a look at and fix this?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
cheetah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Don't look at RV TECH 's for repairs. Look for a heating and air conditioning company. The kind that look at home and commercial units.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
Links

Some links I am using for information and data for my own unit.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ent-64678.html

http://www.knology.net/~tcwilliams/AirConditioner.htm

http://www.knology.net/~tcwilliams/Compressor.htm

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...a-heat-pump-o/

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tomorkim/AnotherLeak.htm

Now you are going to need an AC technician that will work with you and you will need to arrange a platform to work from (see last link)
Scoutx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
On the theory of "check the easy things first" (one of the basic rules of troubleshooting), here are some things you can check without calling in a professional:
1 - dirty condenser unit. Remove the shroud and make sure everything up top is clean.
2 - dirty filter. The unit has to suck in air to blow air. If the return air filter is clogged, the unit won't cool because it can't blow if it can't suck.

If the condenser unit and the filter are both clean, then the possible problems are a bit more complicated and you're better off seeking professional help:
3 - thermostat not working.
4 - low refrigerant. And if the refrigerant is low, there is a leak that needs to be addressed; just adding more refrigerant doesn't fix the problem. And if there's a leak, the a/c compressor may be bad because it can't compress what's not there, and just trying ruins the compressor.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Scoutx - Thank you for these links. They are proving to be invaluable!
Old 09-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thank you Protagonist! I am now at the point of working with a professional on it!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Palmyra , Virginia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah1 View Post
Scoutx - Thank you for these links. They are proving to be invaluable!
Anytime.
Looks like the electrical in mine is going to get a total revamp.
I have changed the blower motor. I will shortly replace the compressor, and will include a reversing valve at the same time.

Among the electrical changes which will not include replacing the 2 wire thermo wire are:
1) replace on switch with DP3T on/off/on. To control on/off and select either heat or cooling mode.
2) add additional DP3T on/on/on to give me access to all 3 fan speeds.
3) add relay to thermo wire to allow standard thermo in 2 wire mode to control heating and cooling without have to alter thermostat. Reverses on/off logic in one mode but not the other.
4) run all exterior wires through water tight conduit to junction box.
5) run addition lines as needed between upper and lower unit.
6) add delay on make breaker to provide a compressor delay when power is restored or you switch between modes ( power turned off as you move through middle position of power switch)
7) add a timer relay to thermo control to prevent short cycling the compressor.
8) may add a switch to allow fan to cycle with compressor or remain on all the time.

Finally. I added a rain shield to the blower shaft to help protect motor from the rain. 7" dome of black plastic that press fits on the upper shaft to act like an umbrella.
Scoutx is offline   Reply With Quote