Old 12-23-2002, 10:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy Muddaubers in the A/C

This summer, my A/C really made some loud thumping noises when I cut it on. Went on top of the trailer and found muddauber nests the size of tennis balls in the airconditioner fans. I cleaned out most of the mud and the A/C worked better. There is still some mud left, but I cannot get to it very easily.

Any suggestions as to how I can do a good job cleaning the mud nests off the a/c fans? Now is a good time to do the cleanup.

Thanks

WBCCI #5725
1994 34' Excella 1000
2000 Excursion Diesel 4x4 with Banks Stinger Plus Power Pack and Exhaust Brake
cjholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 07:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Pull the cover and use a wire brush. It would be a good time to clean/check the condensor and evaporator and the drain and pan.

John

Old 12-24-2002, 02:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I had the same problem

My neighbor after dislodging them, vacuum the balance out for me.

John
Old 12-24-2002, 04:42 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

John,

Can you be more specific about cleaning the other A/C parts? I think I will tackle the remaining mud nests this weekend. I can get my shop vac up to the top and use a small wire brush (I think). But not sure about checking the condenser and pan. What do I look for?
WBCCI #5725
1994 34' Excella 1000
Old 12-25-2002, 08:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
When you take the cover off you should see a motor and fan, a condensor coil and a metal box. The shop vac would be pretty good to use, suck as much of the dirt, leaves, etc. out of the coil as you can, if the vacuum is reversible blow it out. The coils are pretty delicate so don't bang them up too much; if you do use a small flat screwdriver to straighten the fins. There also should be a sheet metal box that has another coil in it, probably just a few sheet metal screws holding it together. Clean that coil and under it there should be a drain pan and tube or outlet. These will probably be full of gunk, spider webs, etc.

John
Old 12-26-2002, 12:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the tips.
WBCCI #5725
1994 34' Excella 1000
Old 01-20-2003, 01:55 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Katy , Texas
I had my whole A/C unit off this past summer just so I could clean and inspect it. It had mud dobbers and wasp nests in it. One of the DC motors was frozen in place and would not turn because of the dried mud holding it. Luckily it was not burned up and still works. I chipped off all of the mud with a screwdriver and then wire brushed it with a wire brush the size of a toothbrush. I then sanded the condenser blades with sandpaper. I cleaned all fins on the condenser fan blades and the evaporator squirrel cage fan blades. The evap. fins were full of dirt so I gently cleaned them with a soft brush and blew them out with compressed air. I also oiled the motors. The motors had small oil tubes with little plastic plugs that can be removed to oil them. I put screen on all of the vent holes on the cover before putting it back on to keep the buggers out. It was amazing how much more air the fans move after the cleaning and how much cooler the air out of the evaporator was after cleaning the coils.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Still too cold to mess with the AC units, but will be going to Walt Disney World in early April, so need to fix them soon!

BTW, Fort Wilderness is the best campground we have found.
WBCCI #5725
1994 34' Excella 1000
Old 06-13-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Kind of a crazy question but can anyone in New England tell me if we have Muddaubers here?? Never heard of them. Looks like I might be heading up on the roof to take a better look at my AC...prob shot but worth a look. I've been searching for over an hour here on DIY AC maintenance and this is the best link I've found yet...If you should have any other suggestions I'd really appreciate any info.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Yes - they are found in your part of the country - here's a link to some info about these anti social wasps http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/bmuddaub.html

And a picture of one of the several forms of nest these nasties build
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MudDauberNest01.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	22261  

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:42 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 28' Argosy 28
Homewood , Alabama
Thumbs up Mud Daubers aka "Dirt Daubers"

I have encountered these nests in several locations on my trailer. I found nests inside the burner tube for the water heater, in the vent for the furnace, in the vent hood and most recently (yesterday) in the vent for the refrigerator (BIG ONE!!!). We call them "Dirt Daubers" here in Mississippi, but are the same thing. They build nests on the brick walls under carports and any other areas where their nests are protected from rainy conditions. I have not been on the roof to check the AC, but that will be my very next project after reading this! Great thread!

1975 Argosy 28D (work in progress!)
RVnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

air conditioner maintenence

I'm down to cleaning the condenser coils to finished the refurb of the armstrong in my 72' excella 500. I replaced the start/run capacitors and the compressor came up, pushing 58 degrees F with interior temp in the high 80's. However, I found the condenser coils fully packed with dust. Managed to pull about 8 sq. inches with a vacumn but the rest refuses to release. Any suggestions to clean the coils in place would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Coil cleaner such as this does a good job. You can get it at any HVAC supply house in your area.

Air Conditioning Coil Cleaner ( Pack of two cans ) Cobra Condenser/Evaporator Coil Cleaner,Low Price [541(2pk)] - $15.95 : www.mainsupplies.com
Old 05-10-2007, 10:29 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the tip, I saw a simular product at Lowe's and now I'm ready to try it. BY the way, I was born on the mother ship just east of Cleveland.