Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Move my rooftop AC unit?

The last time we camped in the trailer was the first time we used the new AC and I thought it was kinda loud, even on the low setting. Ours is a twin bed unit and the AC is right above the beds just a bit forward in the trailer. I am wondering if it would be reasonable to try and move it farther forward, say where the middle or front vent is and then put a fantastic fan in the hole left by the AC. As I understand it, they are all 14 x 14" square openings so it would be a question of moving the 110 and thermostat wiring. It would probably affect the tongue weight to a certain extent too.

I'll most likely wait a bit and get some time in the camper before I give this some more serious thought, but am curious if anybody else has moved it due to the noise?

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Would be a lot of work for not much return. The drain is run through the shell, the wiring for the 110 ac will have to be moved to the new location. Also it will change the weight distribution of the trailer. I vote no.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Move my rooftop AC unit?

It would be a lot of work for very little difference in noise. All in all I imagine it would be cheaper, and more effective to buy a more quiet a/c.

I don't know what is up with newer units, but my old Armstrong unit is pretty quiet (in my opinion anyway) on low speed.

IMO due to geometry, moving the A/C even several feet forward wouldn't affect hitch weight more than a few tens of pounds.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Why not try adding some sound reduction material... like Dynamat?