1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
sarasota , Florida
Mini Split AC system?

Hello Group!
The old roof mounted AC finally died.
I have a small portable AC unit hooked up now while Im doing interior restore

My Question? Thoughts on mini split system? Mounting the exterior on tongue and interior unit in front bulkhead area. The trailer is being used as an office..mini guest house..so the unit wouldn't be bouncing down the road.

Any input would be appreciated.
Carolyn

Old 06-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
Site Team

, Minnesota
No. 1 concern I had was the bouncing down the road. As an office or guest house I would definitely consider a split system.
No. 2 concern I had was where to mount the inside unit without takinbg up a lot of headspace in the front.
No. 3 concern was how to get good air flow to the back of the trailer. Especially in a long trailer. You may need fans or ductwork.

All are solvable. I decided to go with a replacement roof unit but that was mostly because of No. 1 - I want to remain mobile and didn't want to rearrange everything on the front A-frame. If I was going to be immobile I would definitely look at a mini-split.

Good luck, let us know what you do.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Love mine

I installed a mini split on my 55 Flying Cloud and so far it has worked out amazingly well. Durability is still an open question given these systems are not designed for over the road use, but in your case that is not an issue.
Pro's: MUCH quieter, lower power consumption, less expensive, more attractive (IMHO)
Con's: More difficult install, lose some space on the tongue
Here is the unit I purchased: https://www.highseer.com/clearance-h...wye012al5.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compressor2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	264030   Click image for larger version

Name:	ACCondensor.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	264031  

Old 06-12-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1987 32.5' Airstream 325
sarasota , Florida
Good morning,
thanks for taking the time to give your input on the mini split AC.
Looking at your pictures..curious as to why you oriented the outside unit perpendicular to the trailer, instead of parallel?
Thank you again,
Carolyn
Old 06-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Why not a window unit!

Re-doing our 74 Trade Wind:
Thinking about on the Drivers side ...building a shelf, storage......where the top would be used to sit a 5000 BTU window unit.
Open the window, slide the unit to where it would stick out about 6-8 inches and have my foam (pre-cut to fill the gap along the sides and top).
No 90 pound unit on top, run the cord from the unit to a plug source, leaves a space in the electric panel for something else?
Ready to go on the road....remove foam, slide unit in, secure with hooks/bracket/whatever, close the window!
Just a thought.
Gluck
Old 06-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
Site Team

, Minnesota
I like the perpendicular arrangement but it does move everything off the tongue.

I decided not to use the mini-split because I couldn't find a mounting arrangement that provided good ariflow through the condenser and also allowed me to keep the two propane tanks on the tongue.

This perpendicular arrangement clearly solves the airflow problem.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Carolynt,
Mounting in the manner shown gets proper airflow clearances around the outdoor unit. It also does not blow the rejected hot air against the trailer.

Also note that these units (the inside part) produces condensate (water wrung out of the air when the air is cooled) and this needs to be drained to the outdoors.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Moneta , Virginia
Carolynt,
FYI, there are ducted split systems that might serve you well in your application. The air handler is ceiling mount in a residential application, it can be attic installed and ducted, the ducts are about 4"diameter.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Moneta , Virginia
LG ceiling mount provides easy zoning options.
http://www.ecomfort.com/LG-L2H18C070...n8waAjn58P8HAQ
Old 06-15-2016, 07:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Twinkie View Post
Re-doing our 74 Trade Wind:
Thinking about on the Drivers side ...building a shelf, storage......where the top would be used to sit a 5000 BTU window unit.
Open the window, slide the unit to where it would stick out about 6-8 inches and have my foam (pre-cut to fill the gap along the sides and top).
No 90 pound unit on top, run the cord from the unit to a plug source, leaves a space in the electric panel for something else?
Ready to go on the road....remove foam, slide unit in, secure with hooks/bracket/whatever, close the window! To
Just a thought.
Gluck
I have followed BambiTex's thread and it looks like he has done an excellent job of installing his split system and he is happy with it. Considering the opening poster has a 32' trailer and lives in Florida, this would be the very best solution.

I went the small 5000 btu/hr window unit route and it works for me. See my thread from 2012 titled 5,000 btu/hr window AC and 1,000 watt genny. Click on touringdan, click on statistics, click on threads started by touringdan and find the thread. We only use it about 5% of the time. The occasional use, large windows that open all the way and the window shape made this the best solution for us.

Good Luck, Dan