Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2003, 11:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

LP Gas smell when furnace first kicked on

Gurus,

We just kicked on the furnace for the first time in years a few weeks ago. The thing lit right on que, but smelled a little for the first few minutes. I talked the wife into opening a window for a few to see if it would clear up - and within a few minutes the smell went away and we were toasty all night.

Is there something I should look into or just chalk it up as a result of not being used in years. It seems to be fine now, BTW.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you think of the furnace in the MH like the furnace in your house it makes sense. The first time you light off the home furnace for the fall it smells weird as the dust and stuff burns off the heat exchanger. In this case there is no filtration and the unit is carried all over the place in the MH. If the smell is gone and you feel fine I would not worry too much.

If you are concerned regarding the possible CO2 or LP, there are alarms that can be installed to alert when the gases appear. If you are going to lose sleep over the saftey get a detector or have it checked out by a reputable shop.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 12:01 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
It's natural

Every RV gas furnace I have had in the last 15 years (4) puts off an odor when first used after a period of unuse. Probably dust burning off the heat exchanger. The gas furnace in my house does the same thing each fall.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 12:08 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks guys. That all makes sense and I'm not worried about it. As long as I can explain it to her that it's to be expected and why, my life will be much easier.