Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Danville , Ohio
LP Gas Question, Run 24/7?

we're thinking about full timing and wonder if you can have the gas system on 24/7, even while driving, so the refrigerator could always be on, keeping our food cold, didn't know if that was unsafe or undoable in any way, i don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but it is relevant to us, thanks!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I turned on our LP last September, and with the exception of the time we had to repair a line, it's been on 24/7/365 (or however many days it's been). I tow with it on and running, and with the auto switchover valve, I don't even turn it off to refill an MT tank.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Danville , Ohio
follow up question, how often do you guys have to fill up your propane tanks? my girlfriend is a stickler for budgets and wants to know what we can expect to spend of gas fillage and refillage! thanks!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjware
follow up question, how often do you guys have to fill up your propane tanks? my girlfriend is a stickler for budgets and wants to know what we can expect to spend of gas fillage and refillage! thanks!
In Winter, using LP hot water, stove once a day, and a catalytic heater2-3 nights a week, we were getting 19 days out of a 30# tank. It is now (Summer) closer to a month per tank. As usual, your mileage may vary, we cook with the microwave and convection oven more than the stove, but still use the stove about 4 meals a week. We also keep the fridge on "auto", unless the voltage drops dangerously low, then I manually switch to LP.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Danville , Ohio
so you do not run a lp air conditioner in your unit?
Old 06-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjware
so you do not run a lp air conditioner in your unit?
I haven't seen an LP a/c unit yet. Of course, if I leave the fridge door open long enough, it could probably be considered one...
Old 06-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjware View Post
we're thinking about full timing and wonder if you can have the gas system on 24/7, even while driving, so the refrigerator could always be on, keeping our food cold, didn't know if that was unsafe or undoable in any way, i don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but it is relevant to us, thanks!!!
Hello Erikjware: "Full timing" propane use will be seasonable. The furnace will use the majority of propane if you do not "rough it" a bit during the cold months and keep the temperature in the mid to low 60's inside the trailer. We do not run the furnace when in the mid-40's and higher, unless we are inside. You also run the risk of running your batteries down, so having a solar panel to charge them during the days is a must. Otherwise you will be having a problem with the batteries AND propane use. Unless you are at a RV park and have electricity, then you would use your electric heater/cooler and propane is not a problem... For comfort, you also will need to vent the interior so you do not get condensation inside the trailer.

We use a small Weber grill for outside "burger" type cooking and have a 19 pound LPG cylinder to use with it. The refrigerator is on when we are on the road 24/7. If you are at an RV park, again, use the electrical option. You can also run the large propane tank provided by a local LPG supplier to your trailer.

Hot water is available only when we need it, so the hot water tank is not being heated unless needed.

When you refill your cylinder(s) tell them you have a trailer and get the commercial rate. It is less than the grill cylinder fillings... Prices vary considerably when you are looking for a refill, so find a place that is not charging 50% or more over the going local rate. You just need to ask a few other trailer owners to find out where to buy your propane. We have two 30 pound cylinders for the trailer and the 19 pounder for the outside grill. If you are a former tent camper, then the conversion to being a frugal trailer owner will be a natural conversion. Otherwise, you WILL LEARN the tricks within the first month!

Biggest propane users in order: Furnace, Hot Water, Refrigerator, Cook Top. Good luck!
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Guess it depends on your equipment

For our '64 GlobeTrotter:

Furnace > the "furnace" is really a "heater"...no blower = no battery or electric. It's either on "pilot", "off" or manually adjusted > no thermostat.
Water Heater > it's propane only, no electronic ignition, so we leave it on all the time too. The last thing I want to do in the morning is go outside, pull it apart while in my jammies to light it before I can take a shower
Fridge > we have to run the fridge on propane all the time...it's propane only. No electric
Cooktop > we grill out a bunch!
A/C > don't have it. When we have electric we use an old fashioned fan. When we don't we use our Fantastic Fan.

All that being said...it's pretty efficient, but we aren't full-timers. We have two 20lb propane tanks on the trailer that we refill once or twice a summer and we get out 35-70 nights.

Looks like yours is vintage too erikjware...which can be very different from newer trailers, unless they are totally updated. We are doing that with our '56 Safari, next summer I will be able to compare ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
When it was really cold out and I was fulltiming for 4 months, with temps in the 30-40's at night, I would get one-two weeks out of a 30 pounder, depending on how much the furnace ran. The water heater uses very little propane, it might kick on once or twice a day. Usually during a shower and one other time during the day. I have a 10 gallon unit.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote