Old 04-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Loose Coleman A/C unit

Made the first road trip of the year to the Keys recently. Before I left , I checked everything over and while doing so thought the A/C on the roof did not look "right" but after poking and prying could not find anything loose. Figured it was just me after getting it out for the year. In Florida condensate began leaking in so I had to take interior vent apart ( no instuctions in the manual of course) and I discovered three sheared/bent bolts and one very loose one. A miracle this thing was still on the roof . there is a note in the manual ( I missed it but I did not install the A/C) to periodically check and if necessary tighten the bolts. Again no information on how or when. A mobile RV service guy in the campground had the correct bolts and between the two of us we replaced three of them in about an hour . The other I replaced at home in a lengthy process that involved working up on the roof and tearing apart the the A/C unit to get to the broken bolt. These bolts are simply threaded into a weld nut and nothing locks them.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
Made the first road trip of the year to the Keys recently. Before I left , I checked everything over and while doing so thought the A/C on the roof did not look "right" but after poking and prying could not find anything loose. Figured it was just me after getting it out for the year. In Florida condensate began leaking in so I had to take interior vent apart ( no instuctions in the manual of course) and I discovered three sheared/bent bolts and one very loose one. A miracle this thing was still on the roof . there is a note in the manual ( I missed it but I did not install the A/C) to periodically check and if necessary tighten the bolts. Again no information on how or when. A mobile RV service guy in the campground had the correct bolts and between the two of us we replaced three of them in about an hour . The other I replaced at home in a lengthy process that involved working up on the roof and tearing apart the the A/C unit to get to the broken bolt. These bolts are simply threaded into a weld nut and nothing locks them.
Most likely, vibration caused the problem.

Check and see if the rubber rods in the axle are OK, and make super sure that the running gear is properly balanced.

Andy

Old 04-20-2012, 03:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It sounds like something must have hit the unit or the trailer was in a wreck at some point and never fixed afterwards.

Perry
Old 04-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
No, not in a wreck. I had the A/C installed, it never had one before. Yes , Andy is right it is simple vibration from 50,000 plus miles of use. My axle is fine ( it's a replacement from Andy and I also run Centramatics). The owners manual gave a warning that these bolts can loosen and should be checked periodically. I missed seeing this information. I just wanted to make others aware that ,yes it can happen.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
No, not in a wreck. I had the A/C installed, it never had one before. Yes , Andy is right it is simple vibration from 50,000 plus miles of use. My axle is fine ( it's a replacement from Andy and I also run Centramatics). The owners manual gave a warning that these bolts can loosen and should be checked periodically. I missed seeing this information. I just wanted to make others aware that ,yes it can happen.
Great heads up.

Thanks.

Andy