Old 12-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Looking for part for furnace

Need the following furance part for my 1956 AS . This furance is the tube type, which is incased in a half moon reflector. The part I really need is the pilot light. I have two of them, and both of them the small tube is broke. One of them was working, but has now broke off.
I am looking for either the entire burner assembly, or just the pilot part. Can use the whole thing if you have one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2952.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	118305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	118306  

Old 12-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Dan,
I am not sure...never am, but the burner and pilot look the same as in my 56 , Day & Night wall furnace. The same company made both types of furnace so maybe you can sub the parts.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Was not sure if it was a Day or Night model, could not find any markings on it, the furance itself that is. I see the burner says General Control, and it does have a part number. I would not mind upgrading if I could find something that would fit in the same area, or happy to go with the old if I can locate one. Do you have, or have you had any contacts with anyone on the Day and Night parts? I was really disapointed when that tube broke, because the burner was working great. I am ready to cut the closet wall opening for the unit, but don't want to make the cut till I know for sure I can fix the unit.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I do not have any sources but am looking. Maybe this can help you out.....Dials pages are GREAT!
Restoration Topics - Panel-Ray Heaters
Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The small tube is for the thermocouple.

You may find that a standard thermocouple will work, You can get them in any hardware store or home center, usually in the water heater parts section.

You might have to make a bracket to mount it, and do some experimenting to get it in the right spot. If you put it in the wrong spot the burner won't stay on. It doesn't need to be in the original location, just someplace where the pilot flame hits it.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Great I will look into it. After I had to replace the pilot light,and found that it was not working then I could only get the burner to run with the safety button pushed in. As soon as you let go of the button it would go out. There must be a connection between the two. Before I could turn the knob over to burner on, and you could hear the gas flowing. After I put the second pilot light on, you could only hear the gas flowing in the burner when the safety button pushed in.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Clayton View Post
Great I will look into it. After I had to replace the pilot light,and found that it was not working then I could only get the burner to run with the safety button pushed in. As soon as you let go of the button it would go out. There must be a connection between the two. Before I could turn the knob over to burner on, and you could hear the gas flowing. After I put the second pilot light on, you could only hear the gas flowing in the burner when the safety button pushed in.
Jammer is right, see post 5.

When the thermocouple is properly heated by the pilot flame, it acts like holding the "safety button" in. When they fail, as soon as you release the "safety button" the pilot goes out.

This is a common failure in all types of gas appliances. I've had thermocouples fail in home heaters and water heaters as well as in RV stuff. They are not expensive and are easy to replace.

Once you have that working, you can address the biggest issue in an old furnace. Make sure that there is no way for combustion gasses to get into the coach. Old units often have holes rusted in the housings that can allow CO to infiltrate. Please check all this out carefully, as that is a very old furnace if it is original.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I want to echo that wsingfield said about checking the heater. The NT-22 in my Trade Wind seemed OK, but I had a buddy in the HVAC business to look at it (needed a sail switch). Upon checking he found a hole in the heat exchanger. It was not obvious to me but it was to him. It would have allowed combustion gases to mix with heated air and you know the potential tragedy that could cause. Make SURE you have the heat exchanger checked by someone who knows what they are doing.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Dan;
It looks like you need to replace the thermo couple. If you have and it won't stay lit, it may be because the end that goes into the gas valve is not pushed in far enough. The valve you have on your furnace is similar to the valve I have on the refer. Disconnect the thermocouple line from the valve; while you have it apart. Get some contact cleaner and a cotton swab; then clean the contact point down inside the hole where the thermocouple goes in. When you install the thermocouple be sure to push it in the hole as far as it will go, then tighten the nut to hold it in place.
Does thie burner assembly set inside a vertical cylinder about the size of a 2# coffee can?
Old 01-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I replaced the thermocouple on my household water heater recently. In my research of that I discovered they are a standard design that has not changed format since the 50s, so a new one ($11 at the orange or blue places) should fit right in. Just ensure 1/2" of the tip is fully in the tip of the pilot flame. Do not kink the copper tube coming from the thermocouple - if you need to bend it, do so by bending it on a curved object at least 3" in diameter.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
My burner assemble is round and a little larger the the burner head. The whole furnace is in excellent condition with no holes. Everything was in perfect order until I found a hole in the pilot light tube. The pilot light has the tube built into it so it can't be replaced. Someone out there has to have one that there not using, by replacing the furnace with a new style. I want to keep this furance. I have had a couple and they work great!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Does the thermocouple go up inside that casting where the pilot light head is? Does the center of the pilot have a hole for the thermocouple to stick up inside of the pilot or is it just along side? There is no requirement that the new thermocouple has to go in the same place as the old one. It just has to be located so that the end of it is in the pilot flame.
Here is what I would do. Just below the pilot head there is a hole in the casting. I would fabricate a bracket to hold a new thermocouple in a position where the end of the thermocouple would be held in the pilot flame and attach that bracket using that hole. Cut the old line off of the old thermocouple and just leave the head of the old thermocouple where it is. Then screw the new thermocouple line into the gas valve where the old one was. Make sure to seat the end all the way down into the hole in the valve before you tighten the nut. If this doesn't make sense let me know and I'll try to do a better job of explaining it.
I have the same or a very similar furnace in my '69 Travel Queen truck camper, it's in excellent shape and works really well. The great thing is there is no noisy fan.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
There is no thermocouple in this unit. Pilot light runs and you manually turn the main burner off and on. I have added a couple of pictures which give a little more detail. The small gas line just runs up the center of the pilot housing. It has an air screw to adjust the amount of air running thru it. I would put a sparker on it replacing the pilot, but the burner won't run without the pilot running.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Or is the thermocouple in side of the pilot tube as you suggested? I can't tell. I will pickup a thermocouple this next weekend and give it a try, sure won't hurt anything.
Thanks for the idea.