Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Leak from AC heat pump housing

We just brought our new 2012 25fb flying cloud and I walked into it this morning only to see water on the floor. I looked up and noticed that it had dripped from the ac heat pump housing. We are keeping the trailer warm running on auto which I assume means the hp is doing the work. Any ideas?
Best
Dan
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Did you have rain over night, or do you think it is condensation from the unit?

If rain, there is a gasket between the unit, and the top of the trailer. If condensation, there is a drain for that which sometimes gets plugged from insects or mold and muck like the home AC drains.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK that the AC drain hose only drips when AC is on. When heat pump is on, I believe, the condensation produced during the defrost cycle, just runs off the roof.
If that's true, I would think the seal between the roof and bottom of the AC unit (outside) is allowing water to run in. Mine had a small pinhole leak there and I sealed it from inside around the perimeter of the roof opening. There was a small void in the factory seal job.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK that the AC drain hose only drips when AC is on. When heat pump is on, I believe, the condensation produced during the defrost cycle, just runs off the roof.
If that's true, I would think the seal between the roof and bottom of the AC unit (outside) is allowing water to run in. Mine had a small pinhole leak there and I sealed it from inside around the perimeter of the roof opening. There was a small void in the factory seal job.
Yes, I think you are right, normally. But, look where the OP is located and think about the humidity level he has to deal with.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g
That's exactly how mine works... A/C condensation drains to the wheel well via a tube, H/P condensation runs off the roof. During the periodic defrost cycle in H/P mode, the unit essentially switches to A/C mode for a few minutes except the inside blower stops. Being in a relatively dry climate, I haven't experienced this, but expect in a high humidity area as SteveH pointed out it would seem reasonable that condensation would form on the inside coil during defrost, then when the blower kicked in, it might blow some water into the ceiling housing. that might account for a few drips at the end of the defrost cycle. If its more than that, I would be inspecting the seals for a possible leak or a plugged up drain tube.

BTW, the 1st time we used the H/P, I woke up in the middle of the night and immediately became aware that the compressor was running on the roof, but the blower wasn't. In my half awake state I thought that couldn't be good, so I manually switched to furnace. After breakfast I was reading the book and discovered the paragraph about the defrost cycle. I think it also says "Defrost" will display on the CCC, but have never looked.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
jackson center , Ohio
Dometic has been confirmed condensation will come to the inside to drain out of tube. How do you have vents set?
Schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
ac-hp leak

Thanks, I have the side vents partially open, the front vent about 1/3 open and the back vent awfully open, I have the thermostat set to run on all auto including the fan.
danlehosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu
Dometic has been confirmed condensation will come to the inside to drain out of tube. How do you have vents set?
Schu, are you saying the heat pump condensation should be directed to the pan drain and drain line and not run off the roof? The A/C condensation drains properly through the wheel well, but the H/P condensation has always run off the roof, never through the drain and I had assumed this was normal. If you believe it should not run off the roof, I will investigate why it is the next time I find a reason to get up there.

My ceiling shroud has a pair of vents facing fore and aft, both open. I've not experienced any drips inside.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schu View Post
Yes, but as Steve says, only during the defrost cycle.
I suppose, Steve, you could be right, that there is enough humidity to have a significant drain off into the pan after a defrost cycle. I have never experienced that (that I am aware of), but it's possible.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks