Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Kill A Watt AC power use

I usually see a lot of post asking about line voltage and power use. Although there are a lot of tools out there the simplest for the average guy is a product by Kill A Watt. Although it has a max current rating of 15 amps it can be used on most 110 feed lines with 20 amp service. Just don't turn everything on at once. It displays voltage,amps,watts and kilowatt/hours. There are many suppliers on the web with prices as low as $21.00. It is a nice tool to travel with even if all you do is use it to check supply voltage.

Steve
firefly007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I have one of those! A really cool device. Using the Kill A Watt, I have found that my home side by side fridge/freezer only uses about $5.50 per month in electricity, while my PC, which is on all the time uses over $6!!

I usually keep mine plugged into the outlet by the sink when camping in the A/S.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
hey, very cool! now if we could just find a similar device for the 12V side of the converter and a more sophisticated one for the battery lead, you could really track your whole electrical setup. I'd love to see what goes into and what comes out of the battery(ies). You'd know right away when your batteries were dieing.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
If you go to any solar company you can find usage meters for batteries.
http://sunelco.com has a good selection of products. (happy customer)
Since I have the solar option for my trailer. This function is built in.
It will tell me battery voltage, hour man watt hours went into the battery and percent power remaining.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
hey, very cool! now if we could just find a similar device for the 12V side of the converter and a more sophisticated one for the battery lead, you could really track your whole electrical setup. I'd love to see what goes into and what comes out of the battery(ies). You'd know right away when your batteries were dieing.
Hi Zep,
Actually it is nice to see what goes into the converter, That way you also account for the heat losses caused by the converter. As posted earlier, the Solar industry has an abundance of equipment to account for DC power.

Steve
firefly007 is offline   Reply With Quote