Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
San Luis Obispo , California
Just in case the horse isn't dead...

I know this subject has been addressed a million times but I didn't seem to find any solutions that would work for our trailer.

We would like to add A/C but, as like most, don't want anything visible if possible. We were thinking of a mini-split system. We actually have a storage area under the bed that has an access door facing out the back of the trailer. What is the smallest outdoor unit anyone has come across? We were thinking that we could mount it under the bed right at the access door, and have louvers formed into the access door for ventilation. We are just brainstorming the idea and seeing what shakes out but would like to hear others opinions. Especially if someone has successfully done this.

Thanks in advance!

Justin and Mary

Happy to finally be part of the (t)in crowd!
bluemoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If the access door is big enough, why not just have a slide out shelf with a little window unit mounted on it? Pull the condenser unit out, seal the opening, plug it in and produce cold air blowing around the floor.

Paula
Old 08-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Sergei did it for his Argosy. Very long thread, but definitely one of the great reads around here: Contemporizing 1976 Argosy.

steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
San Luis Obispo , California
Thanks for the replies!

Paula, thanks for that suggestion. The access is door is approximately 12"x12" so it would have to be a very small outside unit. Most that I have seen are 30" or more. Has anyone seen one that small?

Steve, I actually read Sergei's thread from beginning to end. Very inspiring! I like his set up a lot but would love to move the front unit inside if possible since we are going to have propane tanks and a spare tire mounted on the a-frame.

Happy to finally be part of the (t)in crowd!
bluemoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote