Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Bradenton and Saluda , Florida & North Carolina
It's Raining INSIDE

Well, it has been raining like no tomorrow here in the mountains of North Carolina. A month ago, I was at Jackson Center and they put a new AC on my 2008 Safari, and you guessed it - leaking like a sieve - well, more like a shower.

It has been dry here for a month, so when it started to rain - it made up for lost time. First time I have ever noticed the water, and am glad that I had a rug with rubber backing down the aisle. It managed to capture all the water, so out came the buckets and the rain just keeps coming!

Took out the 2 filter doors and the rain seems to be coming in where the bolts tighten, and the water seems to pool in the plastic housing that is in the inside of the trailer, at least until it runs over and into the bucket below.

AS took out the old AC (which was having definite probs) and installed this new unit. There seems to be caulking oozing (white in color) around the inside perimeter, however, the gasket looks like it is not NEW. If they did not put a new gasket, could this be causing the problem, or is it just a caulking issue?

Thanks for your input, need the info to make sure it gets done at JC right. Will be there first part of October.

Nancy
ncbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I would think that a new gasket would have been used because the old or original gasket has previously been compressed. I dont think it should be used more than once.
For now however, I would check the torque on the bolts that you are looking at.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
There should be four bolts holding the AC in place. They compress the gasket. That gasket should be compressed to about 60% of uncompressed. Sealer is not recommended by AC manufacturers....they say its not necessary. Try tightening the bolts, equally to increase the seal. If that does not work....back to the installer or their representative.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Melody Ranch, this was installed by AS at JC. There is definitely white caulking that has oozed to the inside, and I do see the black gasket. I am with you, that you don't need the caulking if the gasket is seated properly.

Any thoughts out there on this subject.

Nancy
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would try tightening the bolts and see if that stops the leaking. Does the pan that is collecting the water have a drain line attached? You may want to check that out as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Azflycaster, went to look at the bolt situation on the AC and there are only 2 bolts holding down the AC. The 2 that have bolts are toward the front of the trailer. There are two screw holes for the bolts in the aft of the AC unit - but alas no scews or bolts.

Thoughts?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbambi View Post
Azflycaster, went to look at the bolt situation on the AC and there are only 2 bolts holding down the AC. The 2 that have bolts are toward the front of the trailer. There are two screw holes for the bolts in the aft of the AC unit - but alas no scews or bolts.

Thoughts?
Mine is set up just like yours from the original factory install.
Can't tell if there is a gasket, but there is sealer. There are threaded bolt holes in the rear of the a/c unit itself, but no holes in the lower brackets which the bolt would pass through. I thought this was strange as my prior SOB had 4 bolts. But obviously if Dometic only put holes for 2, that must be the way it is. No leaks though!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote