Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Not an Airstream and not a travel trailer, but…
Madison County Man Dies of Heat Stroke | News | Madison - Jersey County News

Gene

Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Thanks Bob. I havent found any thermostat other than the one at the back lav wall, so im assuming all my controls are on my ac unit on the ceiling. id take pics but Thumper is 25 miles away in storage.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #45
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
From someone currently camping in a field in Kansas right now (no shade), our 1971 27' is baking in the sun....we're actually going to Oklahoma to "cool" off and find somewhere with some trees! When we arrived, it was (no joke) 112 outside -- you talk about taking forever for the A/C to cool off! The coolest it's been during the day in this bloody field has been 106, and that was yesterday! We can keep the back bedroom in the 80's (just barely) and the front is in the upper 80's if you're sitting down -- but if you're standing up and near the ceiling, the air up there is easily in the 90's.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Nashville , Tennessee
Memphis and Cool

I have been full-timing for just over a month now in my newly renovated '54 parked in Memphis, TN. I didn't want to go with a rooftop AC because i wanted to keep the clean roof line so I followed Smokeless Joe and installed an LG Art Cool Mini Split. Its the 11.5k btu version. If people are interested I can post some pictures.

The only place we could realistically place the indoor unit was in the rear bedroom...facing the rear. I have been saying this setup was either genius or stupid; only time will tell but I have really enjoyed it.

We have been in triple digits with extreme humidity. At times during the day the trailer is 75% shaded but during the afternoon it is nearly 100% in the sun. Most days I go to work I leave the AC off and use one of the Fantastic fans to keep it ventilated. I get home and crank on the AC on high. THe nice part about its location is 5 min after it has been on I can relax in a cool bedroom. It takes about 2 hours to cool the rest of the trailer to comfortable temps. By 6 or 7 PM the entire trailer is quite cool.

Now on the weekends I leave the AC on and it handles the job quite well. But obviously there is a difference from the front or the rear of the trailer. I keep it about 72 in the back to keep it about 80 in the front during the heat of the day.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
I'll bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I have been full-timing for just over a month now in my newly renovated '54 parked in Memphis, TN. I didn't want to go with a rooftop AC because i wanted to keep the clean roof line so I followed Smokeless Joe and installed an LG Art Cool Mini Split. Its the 11.5k btu version. If people are interested I can post some pictures.
Let's see it!

my restoration & travel blog:
http://someday1959.blogspot.com
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Nashville , Tennessee
Interior

Here is interior unit when I get home from work I will post an exterior picture...

Being installed:

Final product

You can replace the picture with anything you want...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:20 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Nashville , Tennessee
Exterior LG

All I could find right now is a nighttime picture I took, but you get the idea. I just read a thread about how noisy most AC's are on the roof and cannot get over how quite this thing is...

Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #50
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Just getting back from a few weeks at the beach... same HOT as others have posted.
Dual ACs running 24/7, much cooler inside than out, but could be better.

Checking the history of temps from those days, the weather.coms are bald face @$&# lawyers/liers to be nice.
It never went below 80 at night, they say 74, and it hit the high 90s each day, mostly 98 with heat indexs of 110....they say 88 to 91...complete BS
Average temps my jackass !
Add 10^ to it and you will be closer to the truth.
SOB weathermen... must get payback from the Chamber of Commerce

I like the idea of a LG on the end, could fit that where the spare tire goes and never see it, cool solution.

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote