Old 08-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Tucson , AZ
Things are different in an RV, it is not kept temperature controlled all the time which means it will need to bring the temperature down from a higher degree than if it were your home. You also have a pretty big heat gain in the RV with the low R value and the windows. Add Texas into the equation and I would say keep the 15K unit. I think you will love it.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
I swapped my 13.5 to a 15K in our 23D and would not go back if you paid me. The 15K works great and cools much better than the 13.5 did. It is dryer in the trailer and the condensation line pours water. Not short cycles noted and with the Micro Air easy start the amp draw difference is not noticeable.

GMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Have you told the supplier that you got the bigger unit? You say it is only $100 more, so it might be a good idea to let them know in case of a warranty issue.
Southlake, TX
WBCCI
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
I swapped my 13.5 to a 15K in our 23D and would not go back if you paid me. The 15K works great and cools much better than the 13.5 did. It is dryer in the trailer and the condensation line pours water. Not short cycles noted and with the Micro Air easy start the amp draw difference is not noticeable.

I'm surprised my original a/c was sized so large and that it didn't feel oversized even when run under less that Summer heat conditions.

The other funny thing is that my interior cubic feet volume is most likely only 1/2 of yours (see pic).

But then, it is only 11% increase and no greater amps than the 13.5K I'm replacing. I was hoping to go down in amps though, due to the greater efficiency of the new units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7047.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	319445  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
Have you told the supplier that you got the bigger unit? You say it is only $100 more, so it might be a good idea to let them know in case of a warranty issue.

Yes, I called them this afternoon. Told them their website for the 13.5K listed the number for the 15K and how was I to know. Their ad was still wrong this morning before the a/c was delivered and I printed the page on Monday when I ordered. Their order confirmation email even showed it was a 13.5K I had ordered. Funny thing, they corrected the listing this afternoon some time, before I called them.

Ron in PPLmotorhomes.com Parts Dept. was very nice and is going to see if they can get the 13.5K and also verify the heater and inside grill I received are correct for either size Mach 8 Plus. When he calls back in the morning, I guess I'll have to make my final decision. If the other parts are good, I'll probably keep the larger unit so I can get it installed this weekend.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
New thread FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...cs-185460.html

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
One possible thing to double check is that the wire gauge needed is the same for the 2 models. I would assume that it is, but in other types of HVAC applications sometimes similar units have different requirements.

If you electrical circuit can handle the max amperage, and the wire gauge is the same, then probably no issue between the 2.

To your other question, in a home with a ducted system, you are blowing that inside air against the cold coil at the blower. The coil both lowers the "thermostat" temperature of the air, and condenses humidity in the air. If the system is oversized the coil surface are is too big. This means that the heat pulled out of the air happens really fast, before that the temperature of the air lowers AND the air gets dried out because when the humid air hits that cold coil it condenses and that is the condensate that drips down the drain tube. The more time that he fan blows the air across the coil, then the more humidity in the air can condense and drip down the floor drain.

OTOH if the system is undersized, the coil is too small, and before the air temperature will satisfy and shut everything off, the coil will freeze. If you are old enough you definitely remember this happening in car AC units in the 70s, or in old window units.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Absolutely, keep it. Of course, call the vendor and straighten out the paperwork with them. You need an invoice or packing list that shows your actual model number and serial number in case you ever need warranty work. I doubt if they will want more money after it's already installed. Plus the cost of shipping it back to correct their error, would offset the difference, at least.

My guess is that there will be many hot days when you will be thankful for every BTU.
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:21 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjumper View Post
Absolutely, keep it. Of course, call the vendor and straighten out the paperwork with them. You need an invoice or packing list that shows your actual model number and serial number in case you ever need warranty work. I doubt if they will want more money after it's already installed. Plus the cost of shipping it back to correct their error, would offset the difference, at least.

My guess is that there will be many hot days when you will be thankful for every BTU.
They called me back this morning and acknowledged their website erroneously showed the wrong btu's. Their offer was to take off the $140 shipping charge and refund it to me if I keep the unit they shipped. I agreed.

Pricing on their website was pretty good, if a little inconsistent (white units mostly cost a little more that black ones), but I suspect that they source items from many places rather than stock them in-house. Bottom line, I got a better price than I found elsewhere, I got 15K btu's for the price of a 13.5K, and now free shipping. While they saved even more by not having to pay additional round-trip freight for a replacement plus additional paper work.

My son-in-law will help me install on Monday. Thanks to all for your advice. I'll post a review later.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Keep the 15K unit unless your insulation is approaching that of a vacuum Thermos.

A properly operating A/C unit should not freeze the evaporator unless the charge is low which is usually what happens in cars in high humidity conditions.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Keep the 15K unit unless your insulation is approaching that of a vacuum Thermos.

A properly operating A/C unit should not freeze the evaporator unless the charge is low which is usually what happens in cars in high humidity conditions.
Yes. I'm keeping the 15K. You and others have assured me my fears of freeze up on low speed are unfounded. And in the unlikely instance it should happen (I am on the humid Texas coast), I can always just run the inside fan on high.

Just curious. What A/C are you going with in your new Transit?
Old 08-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Also curious about your "Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway," 73shark. Is this a tow vehicle or an RV like the AS Interstate?

We have a Transit 350 van tow vehicle. There is a fairly good Towing With a Van thread, if it make sense to post your details there:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...an-161693.html

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Ok, so after two days this post was moved to a general a/c section of the forum. While a mod or administrator decided it belonged here, I originally posted in the motor home section because it seemed most appropriate there. I was asking a "sizing" question for an Airstream motor home for which there is far less size variation than for trailers that go from under 20' to over 30'.

I also had a post removed (as in gone). The link is in Otra's reply #20. That post was placed in the electrical section and merely requested help identifying sticker specs and whether COMPR. RLA amps or BCSC amps were a better indication of actual running amps.

I never had posts moved or removed before. Just wondering if something was so out of place or out of line to have this done. Shouldn't the poster get a notice by PM so we know what we did wrong?
Old 08-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
ROWIEBOWIE - I doubt it, unless you move to MN or Canada. FYI - pulled up Mach 8 data sheet and it has a freeze protect thermistor on compressor relay ckt w/ 26 cutout to prevent evap freezeup AND a freeze-switch on condenser that opens at 18 coil temp, not ambient. Would this alleviate your concerns of freezing unit to the point of destruction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Yes. I'm keeping the 15K. You and others have assured me my fears of freeze up on low speed are unfounded. And in the unlikely instance it should happen (I am on the humid Texas coast), I can always just run the inside fan on high.

I just wanted to check in on this. I put a Mach 8 15K heat pump on my 34' Excella a couple of years ago. Obviously it doesn't freeze me out on a hot sunny day, but it does cycle after the sun goes down. All in all, it's the best AC I've ever had on an Airstream.

The freeze-switch works perfectly! It cycles the compressor off when the evaporator gets cold enough to freeze the condensate, then cycles it back on when it warms up. The fan continues to blow even in the auto setting so it's a smooth transition. Not disturbing at all.

I got mine from PPL also. I've had several dealings with them and they have always taken care of me.

I don't know if you need a condensate pump to route the condensate to a drain line like the one in trailers for your application. The unit I got from PPL a couple of years ago didn't come with one. I ordered on from them, but got one for another model, the bracket wouldn't fit. They took it back with no problems and I got the correct one with a complete installation kit (all the hoses, elbows, and other pieces) at https://www.makariosrv.com/coleman-c...ge-47233a3091/.

If you don't need the connection to a drain tube, you can ignore all that.

I wouldn't have gotten the 15K for a 20' trailer, but if one came in I wouldn't ship it back. I think you will be pleased with it.