Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier , California
It's a tradeoff

Pilgrim----As a CCD owner,the bare inside walls will be cold to the touch when it's cold outside. The thermal isolators that 2Air described help, but the walls are still colder than fabric covered inner walls. This all results in colder interior air.

You trade the clean looks of the bare aluminum for some loss in thermal comfort. It's an individual preference. We try to keep our hands and feet off the walls, less fingerprints to clean. We also throw an extra blanket on the bed. No big deal. Pick the interior that you like. The thermal stuff is definitely secondary.
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
We agree!!! We both like the clean designer look of the CCD. Even though the Safari SE has the panaramic windows and some aluminum on the inside, it isn't a CCD. We keep seeing Safari's but they just won't do. You're right, it is such a matter of personal preference - it's easy to see why AS has made so many models over the years - no one model will satisfy all. Now, if we could just find a used 23' CCD.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:18 AM   #23
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
talking about insulation I figured out that on my 28' CCD 2007 the back wall in the bedroom is really cool and a lot of condensation built up on the window as on the wall just behind the mattress and around the window alum edge.
I first felt the cold air coming up from underneath the bed where the storage is.
So I caulked and put foam in all the opening. That makes things better.
But I still have some draft. And as I said the wall between the bottom of the bed where the mattress sits and the window is cold.
With the cushions and mattress I know that this wall is not as much heated as the other ones.
So I wonder if there is any insulation in that part of the wall. I'll check that tomorrow.
Have you ever experience that?

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 AM   #24
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
One thing I noticed in shopping for a used Bambi Safari is that a couple of the units I looked at with fuzzy walls and carpet had a distinct odor that permeated the trailer. One smelled like old grease and cigarettes and the other must have had some type of electrical fire. Not an option at any price. So it all depends on the lifestyle of the previous owner when buying used.

When I found a CCD it was the choice for me.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Possible fix for cold interior aluminum walls ...

Back in the late 1950s and early 1960s, when all Airstreams had Zolatone painted aluminum interior walls, the most costly "International" trim models had a ~ 2 foot high padded fabric panel lengthwise along the outside metal wall of the bed(s). The padded fabric kept the cold metal away from the sleeper and provided some "warmth".

An easy fix for today's similar CCD concern would be to add a padded fabric panel along the outside wall of each bed. Cotton batting could be used for the padded insulation. Match the interior factory fabic, compliment your bed cover, or use a neutral color. Any of them would separate the cold bare metal wall from the outside sleeper without overtaking the clean interior look.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Duff, yeah we were surprised at the draft from under the bed. the cargo compartment doors are weatherstripped but door needed adjustment to seal to the weatherstripping. Better now.

WeeWind, seems like easy and effective after-market treatment to add the cushion of any kind just around the bed. We're gonna do it soon, will post pix.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #27
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr
Duff, yeah we were surprised at the draft from under the bed. the cargo compartment doors are weatherstripped but door needed adjustment to seal to the weatherstripping. Better now.

WeeWind, seems like easy and effective after-market treatment to add the cushion of any kind just around the bed. We're gonna do it soon, will post pix.
It's better now but I still have some heavy condensation point... so not too perfect so far... but way better and I also noticed that the cargo door needs adjustment.

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote