Old 04-17-2005, 07:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM CRUMP
Question: Will I be able to use my existing drain pan and run off tube without making major modifications. I'd like to take the easy way out and take it to an RV repair shop, but doing it myself, I know it's done right, besides the RV repair guys charge more than the lawyers here in Mississippi. The AIR V Unit on our old trlr was remarkably quiet and all the extra vents are a plus, Thanks much, Tom
I installed mine in a Minuet that had never had an A/C unit before. That meant finding the right place to cut the hole.
The wiring and drain tube were already installed at the factory. I cut the drain tube and wiring to the proper lengths and then used my new drain tube.
By the way, if you look at my pictures you will see that I notched the metal channel where the elbow goes down inside the trailer. That was my first attempt at running the drain tube. It was not a good method so I changed tactics. The pictures are of "Drain Tube Modification 2.0". "Drain Tube Modification 1.0" needed an upgrade!
The drain pan did not exist in my Minuet. From what I understand, some people say that the drain pans will not work with anything but the unit they were designed for. If it were me, I would be able to modify if to work. I am sure you could firgure it out too. Take a look and see what you have. If you install the Carrier Air V then you do not have to worry about the drain pan.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Braxton , Mississippi
AirV

Lou thanks for the reply, We did not use the drain tube on the last Air v, the run off was excessive, going off the side of the coach. Carrier says the condesation is slung back on the compressor/coils, but without the drain line, kinda makes a mess, guess I'll get into this project as soon as I get the pergo floor done, I'm at 80% complete on the floor

Old 04-17-2005, 10:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM CRUMP
Lou thanks for the reply, We did not use the drain tube on the last Air v, the run off was excessive, going off the side of the coach. Carrier says the condesation is slung back on the compressor/coils, but without the drain line, kinda makes a mess, guess I'll get into this project as soon as I get the pergo floor done, I'm at 80% complete on the floor
The run-off is bad on ANY A/C. When I was restoring my 76 Argosy 24 I tore into the A/C that was a replacement. Of all things, it was an Emerson A/C! I can't believe they made RV A/C's! It sucked for run-off.
I had noticed that the PO did not use the existing drain tube with it. I got up on top of the trailer and spent two days modifying it to take the new drain tube. It was a pain in the butt because it had to be done after the initial installation!
The run-off used to run right down onto my awning. It sucked.
That was over ten years ago.
I made two vows that day:
1. NEVER EVER under no circumstances was I going to play around with another A/C.
2. When I break vow #1 I will make sure the drain tube is hooked BEFORE I put it on the roof.

I am in the process of finishing up the little stuff around the Minuet. I will then take a BUNCH of pictures to show my little masterpiece. Then I will diagram the A/C installation for all to use.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Lou

You have a really great thread here - I'm sure that there are many who will appreciate your willingness to share what you have learned. Also really look forward to your pictures.

I've studied your pictures, looks like you ran the black hose into the roof and I assume down the side to through the bottom. You then connected the clear tubing from the a/c to the black hose and viola! if works. Looks like a fairly straight forward install.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Lou

You have a really great thread here - I'm sure that there are many who will appreciate your willingness to share what you have learned. Also really look forward to your pictures.

I've studied your pictures, looks like you ran the black hose into the roof and I assume down the side to through the bottom. You then connected the clear tubing from the a/c to the black hose and viola! if works. Looks like a fairly straight forward install.

Ken J.
Ken,

Thanks for the compliment. I try to share the knowledge that I have gained through the 22 years I have restored A/S's and Argosys as well as my new-acquired knowledge through trial and error. I joined the forums because I wanted to be able to learn more about my hobby and maybe share a few things along the way. I feel that we should try to convey what information we have to make the forums a useful place.
The nice thing about the 1970's vintage trailers is that they all are pre-wired and pre-plumbed. They also have roof supports built in so the roof does little buckling from the weight of the A/C.
I noticed that you have a 50's vintage trailer. That will not have any pre-wiring or pre-plumbing if it never had an A/C before.
If you have a previous factory or dealer installed unit chances are it is set up with a drain tube. I am not sure about the drain tube or the year that A/S started installing A/C's.
I will post more pictures and some diagrams in the near future. Right now I am just trying to get the trailer done so it is complete before the middle of June. I have a 10 week stint I have to do for work in Lansing, MI. I want to camp the entire time!
Old 04-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Lou

My 58 has an A/C on it. Not sure its factory/original - but is close to it, probably installed late 50's/early60's. It does not have a drain tube - have not run it enough - but assume water runs down the side. I looks like they did a nice install as they put an additional 1x3 piece of maple up the wall to support the ceiling. Wiring is through the wall. I will be able to snake a drain tube down the wall as I have most of the inner skin out at the moment.

Good luck with your problem - I enjoy watching progress.....

Ken J.
Rally
restoration rally
Old 04-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Quote:
Lou

Good luck with your problem - I enjoy watching progress.....

Ken J.
Then you really would not enjoy watching me!
Actually, I am done with the systems portion of the restoration. I have a rule of thumb; all systems must function correctly before I will start on anything that involves furniture or aesthetics. No matter how good your trailer looks, it won't mean a hill of beans if a system does not function correctly.

This is the way I attack a restoration:
1 - Running gear (Axle, frame, brakes, tail lights, clearance lights, connector)
2 - Electrical (converter, interior lights, A/C, etc...)
3 - Plumbing (water lines, pump, faucets, water heater, etc...)
4 - Propane (regulator, furnace, rubber supply lines, copper supply lines, stove)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
5 - Hardware (door locks, window hardware, cracked plastic, broken tambours, etc...)
6 - Furniture (cushions, gaucho functionality, tables, counters, etc...)
7 - Aesthetics (floor coverings, curtains, upholstery, interior and exterior paint, etc...)
Items 1 through 4 are the necessary items I need to have restored and in perfect working order before I will tow a trailer anywhere on a trip. I cannot handle "problems" when I am trying to enjoy my trip. I can still go to the bathroom and cook my meal in the trailer if the cushions are shoddy or the curtains are shot. It is really hard to do that when your toilet is missing or the stove is leaky.
I have learned from experience that if you take care of the first four the others things are more enjoyable to work on knowing you do not have to do another major tear-out of some sort.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Lou

I am so sorry - brain was thinking something, hands were thinking something else - thats what happens when I try to work and follow forums at the same time.....

Anyway, I meant to say good luck with your project

Yes - thats the way to attack a "new" trailer - from bottom up and from outside in....

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 04-18-2005, 01:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Lou

I am so sorry - brain was thinking something, hands were thinking something else - thats what happens when I try to work and follow forums at the same time.....

Anyway, I meant to say good luck with your project

Yes - thats the way to attack a "new" trailer - from bottom up and from outside in....

Ken
ken,

I got what you meant.
I just got off on a tangent!
That is what I am good at!!!! Ask my boss!
I posted that for all those that think they need to replace the carpet before they rip out all of the plumbing!
Old 04-20-2005, 02:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Well, I ran the A/C all day today.
Believe it or not, it got up above 80 here in Metro-Detroit.
The drain tube performed FLAWLESSLY as I had engineered it! I am so proud of myself!
I will psot more pictures as soon as I get done. I mounted my LED clearance lights tonight and discovered that I have a power problem somewhere that goes back to the rear clearance lights.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:34 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Congradulations! I really enjoy hearing about things that work like they are supposed to.

Still looking forward to your pictures

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 04-20-2005, 10:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Quote:
Congradulations! I really enjoy hearing about things that work like they are supposed to.

Still looking forward to your pictures

Ken
I promise when I get done I will have detailed drawings and pictures so no one has to go through that without a good resource to follow. Not that my way is the only way, but it is a way that worked out well.

Lou
Old 04-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #27
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
wondering...do you suppose its possible to retrofit a Coleman a/c unit to use the drain tube? there is a pan, of sorts, but its not inside the trailer; a hole in it dumps condensate onto the roof, where it drips down the side. not such a big deal, as I don't even use the a/c that much. but just as a matter of "principal". (hey, why not make work for myself? ).

haven't been able to locate this alleged drain tube, either. not that I mounted a huge search for it, but I poked around up inside there when I had the interior shroud removed, looking for a leak. I know its "supposed" to be there, but its location eludes me. I also have not been able to locate its exit point, which is supposed to be in front of the streetside wheel well. can't even see a hole where a tube might have protruded at some point in the past.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #28
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Chuck,

The tube would only be visible if you take the inner shroud/Air diffuser off and look between the skins. I have seen some trailers where the tube was run down the roadside, dunno why. The drain line is 1/2 inch black poly tubing, like the kind used for lawn sprinkler systems.

As to the Coleman drain pan. Airstream had one that they used for a number of years, in the 80's, when Coleman was the OEM AC unit. My understanding is that it was a pan that sat under the AC, yet inside the shroud. I have never seen one myself. And it was a part that Airstream had made........

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote