Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Aiken , South Carolina
ideas needed - AC for 1966 Caravel

Looking for ideas for AC in my 1966 Caravel. I do not want a top unit. Has anyone installed a window unit (not in a window) or a portable unit within your '66 Caravel or similar size / year camper? Would love to hear your stories! Thanks!
alumfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Do you plan on cutting the skin and mounting the unit in the side or rear. A couple of owners ago my Bambi II (virtually the same as yours) had a window unit mounted in the back window. The PO removed it and had a Coleman unit installed on the roof. I have a couple of old Polaroid’s of the window unit, looks really tacky and out of place. I could see maybe mounting one as low as possible in the rear with most of the unit actually inside the trailer with as little as possible sticking out. I think that someone here recently did that in a Bambi II and it did not look too bad at all.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Aiken , South Carolina
Thanks AWCHIEF...but I do not want to cut the skin or put it in a window. I am looking for ideas where folks have installed inside the trailer - venting out through a current opening - like stove, fridge, heater. Thanks so much for your thoughts! Angela
Old 06-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Take a look at this, should be what you need. You can make it can work in the front or back window based on how long you make the legs.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...t-41052-2.html

Enjoy,
Old 06-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Aiken , South Carolina
Thanks for your input Paul! I really want to have the unit inside though. Angela
Old 06-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Aiken , South Carolina
Paul, are you still part of DC WBCCI?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Put a low profile, Carrier if you can find one, or a Dometic Penguin. !5000....it works much better than a 13000. mount it top center and put a Fantastic fan in the rear hole. Your now set.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
East Islip , New York
I'm of the same mind where I'd like an AC in my '65 Safari, but hate the way they look like a puss filled blister on the top. The low profiles aren't bad, but still not to my liking.

I've been dabbling with the idea of a split AC unit, such as those used in tractor trailer sleeper cabs, but haven't gotten to the point where I'm ready to do anything. Heck, the airstream won't even be here for another week still.

-Hans
HHaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Shinysideup,

Still part of the WDCU, plan to attend a few rallies this year anlong with "The Bash".

Enjoy,
Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Duluth , Minnesota
There really isn't a good reason the two parts of the A/C unit can't be separated. In your car or truck with A/C this is how it is (with the big difference being the compressor is turned by your engine). You will need refrigerant lines between the two and perhaps some additional wiring.The "outside" part will have a fan with the outside coil. The inside part also has a fan and a coil.

Mini split systems are common in homes. They have self contained outdoor and indoor units. The outdoor unit could be mounted on the a-frame near the front wall. Or, perhaps you could customize a side or rear compartment with an intake in the belly pan to conceal the outdoor unit? They need lots of airflow, however. Many of the small ones are 115V and 15 amp or less.

The outside unit is 30" X 21" X 10" on a 9,000 btu unit I looked up. Total weight is 100lbs.

Untitled-10

Ductless Air conditioner, Ductless heat pumps, Ductless System, Mini Split systems, mini split air conditioner, mini split heat pumps GoDuctless.com

These are interesting too with two ducts to outside:

wall air conditioner - wall air conditioning

It is 39" X 26" X 12" so rather big. Heats and cools.

The roof top works well because it is easy to create lots of space to move lots of air around the outside coil in through the shroud. I suppose one could make the outside coil significantly lower profile on the roof by customizing it to be longer and skinnier. Thanks for starting the thread. it has me thinking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1278s.jpg
Views:	1992
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	162040  
Bunkroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
This was on another thread. http://www.climaterightair.com/image...ampers_ac1.jpg

I've been looking at either this or the portable units like the LG for my next project. I too want to keep the original roof line
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3404148655.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	162060   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-596673077.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	162061  

Name:	image-1483776077.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	162062  
Jimbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysideup View Post
Thanks for your input Paul! I really want to have the unit inside though. Angela
Did a inside install on my 1955 22' Safari not wanting to put AC on top,
and very happy so far with the results, however, my inside was a blank
sheet of paper design. Also, owning a 1965 Caravel, I would HIGHLY
recommend putting the air on top, you have no room to go inside unless
you gut the interior with a total new design. Hope this helps.........

toastie

PS........great photographs
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Brad & Angela

Let me first say that I love the Caravel, and I am real partial to the 66-68 models because I have a 66 TW.

I know that you said that you did not want to install it in a window, but I just completely my installation and testing yesterday and I am very sastified with the results. Here is the link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ml#post1171831

All I can say is that it works for me. The windows seem to be made for easy installation of an air conditioner. I bought a premium model AC unit with soft touch controls, a temperature gauge (when set on fan), a plastic bottom (a plus for mounting, just cut a slot in the bottom) and low power consumption (460 watts). I paid $139 for it on sale at Best Buy. I power it with no problems with my 1,000 watt Honda Genny.

The side window in my TW was a no brainer for location. I am not sure where it would fit the best in the Caravel. I cut the slot in the bottom pretty much where the center of gravity is, so no outside supports are needed. Again this makes for a real simple and well designed installation.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #14
Pam
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
1968 24' Tradewind
Northborough , Massachusetts
Same Quest

Hi, did you find a solution?

I have been thinking about alternatives to the traditional solutions for our '67 Caravel (in planning and design right now). I don't want a large outdoor unit or a roof top unit and interior space is at a premium.

I am looking for a small scale portable unit to stand on the interior floor and vent our the bathroom window. That idea came as I thought about a small-medium size room I have with it's own portable. It sits on the floor and my husband made a plexiglass panel that the in and out vents are cut into. The panel sits in the window opening and is clear in this case, but could be obscure in the trailer.

Air cooler vs air conditioner? I am thinking I need a conditioner to remove humidity.

Still looking.

New England Unit....in Fun, Fellowship and Adventure.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Aiken , South Carolina
Hi! Thanks for all the responses! Well...at this point I am going to stick with what I have. The previous owner made a set up to put a window unit in the front window. It is pain to put in and take out, but once it is in it works well. We cannot travel with it in the window. Haven't found any other way that strikes my fancy. And cutting a hole for a top mount is out of the question as the shape of the trailer - for me - is one of it's best features! If I run across any ideas, I'll add it to the thread. And, next time the window unit is in, I'll take photos and share them. Thanks again for your input!

Angela

Tags
1966, 1966 caravel, caravel