Old 02-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Hydroflame Incident & Boondock Heat

I have been looking into options for heating a 23ft Safari while boondocking that do not require electricity for the fan and also address the issue of catalytic heaters consuming inside air. I came across two marine heaters designed for heating boat cabins that run on propane. The Force10 brand vents outside but consumes inside air for combustion. However, the Dickinson Marine Heaters have two new LPG heaters that combine outside air intake in the vent tube. BTU range is 5,500 - 7,500 for the smaller unit and 7,000 - 9,700 for the larger. Dickinson is located in Everett, Wa. and sells thru various marine supply houses. The web site is They are made with stainless steel & come with a rear mounting plate to protect the surface it is mounted on. One would have to clarify side clearance to combustibles. Both units have a decent size ceramic glass view window for watching the flame for ambience. It comes with stainless vent pipe and deck fitting and cap. An appropriate mounting place would have to be found that allowed venting through the roof. Not sure if the curved roof of the Airstream would present a problem for the vent cap.

As for the bottom line, I think they range in price from $500 - $600. I called Dickinson in Everett and the guy told me they have sold them for use in campers and trailers. I'd be interested in hearing whether anyone has ever had experience with these.

TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:52 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm going with the Atwood mentioned in the thread above - if I ever finish my floor repair! I don't care for the catalytic heaters, I worry about exhaust gasses not being vented outside. There was one in the Bambi we had breifly, and it really put out the heat, but I wouldn't want to be sleeping with my head a few inches away from it (which is how it works out in the Caravel).

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
The Dickson Marine site mentioned also carries a couple of hot water heating units with built in blowers that seem like they could work very well for heating an AS. You would just need a circulation pump to pump hot water to them from your water heater. Check them out at the bottom of the listed page.

For a little more information on hot water heating check out the following thread:

By the way the porpane heaters shown seem pretty neat. I had been wondering if anyone made a propane fired fireplace that was small enough to put in an AS and now I know that someone does.

malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:27 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1971 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Hydroflame Incident

While the Dickinson Marine Heaters are certainly not cheap, the prices shown on their website are list. I saw them elsewhere selling in the $500 - $600 range. It seems like most things built for marine appliations cost more but then they are often built to a higher standard out of necessity. I like the fact that they pull in combustion air from the outside unlike catalytic heaters. While they come with a blower fan, I was told it is not necessary for effective heating as they do a generate a great deal of radiant heat.

TGK is offline   Reply With Quote